Book "Learning to see creatively" by Bryan Peterson

onefivenine

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I've read "Understanding Exposure" a few times and found it pretty useful so the other day I got another Bryan Peterson book - "Learning to See Creatively".

I think I've reached a frustrating stage in my photography because I know exactly how the camera works, I'm shooting pretty much fully manual and getting technically good exposures, but not really capturing that magic image due to my crap composition skills.

This book seemed a bit of a bargain on Amazon (under £12) and is very similar in style to the other one of his that I've read. First impressions are that I'm going to get a lot from it, there are exercises to develop your photographic eye so you will know which lens/focal length to use immediately when you size up a subject, recognising patterns, basic composition rules (and when to break them).

I'm quite impressed so far so just thought I'd mention it on here.
Would anyone else recommend any other books on composition?

:thumbsup:

Hi all.
I've read "Understanding Exposure" a few times and found it pretty useful so the other day I got another Bryan Peterson book - "Learning to See Creatively".

I think I've reached a frustrating stage in my photography because I know exactly how the camera works, I'm shooting pretty much fully manual and getting technically good exposures, but not really capturing that magic image due to my crap composition skills.

This book seemed a bit of a bargain on Amazon (under £12) and is very similar in style to the other one of his that I've read. First impressions are that I'm going to get a lot from it, there are exercises to develop your photographic eye so you will know which lens/focal length to use immediately when you size up a subject, recognising patterns, basic composition rules (and when to break them).

I'm quite impressed so far so just thought I'd mention it on here.
Would anyone else recommend any other books on composition?

:thumbsup:

I too just got this book delivered this morning from the same place waiting for the other book should be here tmr

I too just got this book delivered this morning from the same place waiting for the other book should be here tmr

Good choice! :smashin: I think these books are a great combination together - one covers the technical matters and the other helps you understand the visualisation and creative process.

Well, are you seeing creatively now?:)
I thought you were doing alright TBH:hiya:
and
Creativity and inspiration are not 24/7 .. the batteries can do with recharging

My 350D is broken, 30D is on a trip abroad so Im cameraless ATM ( just used a Nephews 400D for a day or 2) but Im taking the time to write ( or dictate into a dictaphone , ) ideas as they occur
I might get the book but a little description of what is covers and how useful you've found it would be interesting

Well, are you seeing creatively now?:)
I thought you were doing alright TBH:hiya:
and
Creativity and inspiration are not 24/7 .. the batteries can do with recharging

My 350D is broken, 30D is on a trip abroad so Im cameraless ATM ( just used a Nephews 400D for a day or 2) but Im taking the time to write ( or dictate into a dictaphone , ) ideas as they occur
I might get the book but a little description of what is covers and how useful you've found it would be interesting

Ha ha, cheers! I'm not seeing photo-opportunities as I'd like to be able to yet and not getting enough practise either.

I'll read it this weekend and get a chance to take some shots next week on holiday :D

:)

I was only just looking at a few of Brian Peterson book and trying to work out which ones would be good for a beginner at digital photograpy !!

Any suggestions ?

Shane

I bought the 2 together some months ago. I enjoyed reading both. The understanding exposure one seemed too basic initially but there was still stuff to learn and the pictures are great. I personally preferred the creative one but the nice thing is that there is no repetition of info or images, unlike other instances where an author puts out more than one book, eg scot kelby or Tom Ang.

onefivenine, cheers for sharing this one. Sounds like the kind of thing I could benefit from. Is it helping you develop your own creativity or just try some of the ideas in the book? That said, it's pretty difficult to be 100% original in any art form. I know I'm happy enough if I can pull of an approximation of something I've seen elsewhere.:rolleyes:

onefivenine, cheers for sharing this one. Sounds like the kind of thing I could benefit from. Is it helping you develop your own creativity or just try some of the ideas in the book? That said, it's pretty difficult to be 100% original in any art form. I know I'm happy enough if I can pull of an approximation of something I've seen elsewhere.:rolleyes:

Know what you mean about originality and everything seems to have been done before ;) I think the principles in this book are fairly generic and can be used in your own way to improve your own photos. I suppose the trick is to use the knowledge in a way that is not contrived or plageurised and come up with something original. I reckon this book would be of value to most amateurs, some more than others.

So far I've learned lots of new concepts from it - basic design fundamentals of line, shape, form, texture, pattern, colour, how colours have different 'weight' and different effects on form and pattern. Loads of good stuff!

The section on composition which is pretty good at explaining the rules of composition without going into psychology in too much depth. The opening section is all about focal length and aperture and their combined effect on perspective, depth of field, bokeh.

All this info along with the accompanying photos are superb, and definitely inspiring me to find more and better photo subjects. I reckon (and hope ;)) it'll help take my photography to a new level.

The first thing I want to try to practise for instance is to look for colours, rather than just go out thinking 'landscape, landscape, landscape' and then getting a few shoddy landscape shots but missing a whole world of opportunities.

Got the understanding Exposure today and wow i learnt more I can now even use the M mode properly now as I learnt somthing I did not know ha ha

A good recommendation.
I already had 'Understanding Exposure' which I found quite good but it seemed to dwell a little longer on subjects than I would have liked.
This (Learning to see...) covers a lot of aspects of vision, design & composition in a way that seems quite balanced ( at least to my level of experience.
Has anyone tried analysing their 'portfolio' for line, shape,form, colour, texture & pattern? This looks like it might be a useful exercise - albeit a time-consuming one???

Got both the Understanding Exposure and See Creatively books through yesterday, get them on amazon through The Book Depository and you can get both delivered for £20 :thumbsup:

Only had a quick flick so far but they look really useful - thanks for the suggestion :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom