"Project-Projector"

shodan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hiya,

I was wondering... I keep seeing the autions for "Build Your Own Projector" on ebay and QXL. Has anybody tried this? It's meant to be a bunch of cheap stuff and a fresnell lense and can give you a great piccie about 100inches if needed. I know it won't be great but just how poor will it be? Also, how on earth could it be connected?

They also say that you don't need to take apart your tv or anything. Could it just be magnifying the picture from a tv and using a bright focused light to "project" it?

So what are your thoughts on it?

Cheers
John

Originally posted by shodan
Could it just be magnifying the picture from a tv and using a bright focused light to "project" it?
Nearly. It is using a fresnel lens to throw the picture from a regular TV onto a large screen. No additional lighting is provided (nor indeed would it be possible). All the projected light comes from the TV's own output.

For an impression as to how good this might be, try turning the brightness/contrast right down on your TV and then looking at it from a distance of a few inches.

Ah, I get it! I take it you are subtlely saying it is poo? Sorry but I don't do subtle so I tend to miss it when it happens...

I presume you are talking from experiance or superior knowledge? Superior to my own measly amount anyway...

Thanks
John

Poo? No. Much worse.

Not from personal knowledge but from having seen a detailed description of this 'product' a year or two back, and from the logical conclusion that an enlarged TV picture must by its very nature

a) be darker than the original. A given amount of light, spread over a larger area will intrisically be less bright. You can't 'add' external light to a TV picture to make it brighter. Try shining a flashlight at your TV to see what effect it has.
b) be larger than the original, but containing all the 'features' of the original, including the individually visible phosphor dots, shadow mask and line structure (which you can see, if you get close enough to a TV screen).

Hence my suggestion as to how you might be able to preview the effect.

Ahh gotcha!

Well thanks anyway, saved me a couple of quid!
Maybe I'll just get a pair of binocu8lars and tape them over my eyes....;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom