Baseball fans,please look in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joffy1780

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I know there is a large Baseball following in the U.K. and surely there are some followers on this forum.
The new season gets under way in about 6 weeks time and I would like to bring to your attention the free Fantasy Baseball UK competition.
I play every year,with limited success,and think it is brilliant for both newcomers to the sport(like me) and long time followers.It has a regular spot on Five's baseball coverage(who help to run it I think) and the main prize last year was a trip to the U.S. for 2 to watch a game.There are also monthly goody bag winners.
I think we should set up our own AVForums friends league.
If people are just getting into baseball and think it is a bit complicated,I'll happily to help anyone as I'm quite experienced with the format,I'm just not that good :thumbsdow .
Here is a link to the site FBUK.Form there you can get a feel for the rules and a link to the forum,which is great-second only to AVForums:thumbsup:

Finally,here's how you add my team,and others hopefully,to your friends list.
On the FBUK homepage click on 'homepage maintenance',then 'Add a friend' and pick the team from the drop down menu.
My team are called Washy SmellySox.Repeat for as many as you want.Then click 'update team'
Now when you click on standings to check out your position,you can clicks on 'friends' and it'll show a little mini-league between whoever you've picked

Please don't reply saying 'Baseball is boring' or whatever.Just don't look if you don't like it :devil:

Teams we have so far;
My team-Washy SmellySox,
Super Oxford's team- Super Oxford United,
Reepicheep's team- Barwell Pink Sox,
philb's team- benny'sballs,
Wiser1's team-Wiser1duzit.

Somebody humour me,please. 50168987.tumbleweed.gif

Baseball = Rounders . Thats a girls game :rotfl:

You did ask to be humoured :D

John

I had a fantasy team last season in the Indians Division - didn't do too well though.

I love watching Johnny on a Sunday night / Monday morning :) I'm like a zombie most Monday mornings though.

I had a fantasy team last season in the Indians Division - didn't do too well though.

I love watching Johnny on a Sunday night / Monday morning :) I'm like a zombie most Monday mornings though.

Good stuff.It's worth watching just for the craic,I reckon.
If you enter again post your team name and I'll post mine and we can have a two team AVForums division.

I enjoy watching baseball and have entered a team in the Bluejays division but the websit wont let me pick a roster yet as a revaluation is being done. I will join the AVForums division which will now have 3 teams!

I enjoy watching baseball and have entered a team in the Bluejays division but the websit wont let me pick a roster yet as a revaluation is being done. I will join the AVForums division which will now have 3 teams!

Great,now we're getting somewhere.

Red Sox fan here, went to Boston to see them play last year for the 2nd time. Will definitely be interested in a fantasy league if we can get enough people.

I saw a Baseball game once, for all of the 4 minutes it too me to fall asleep. My friend had to wake me up at the end of the match before security did.

Red Sox fan here, went to Boston to see them play last year for the 2nd time. Will definitely be interested in a fantasy league if we can get enough people.

It doesn't really matter how many we get,I'm just suggesting we let each other know our team details and we can have a little friends league on FBUK one.There are usually about 3000 entrants on the FBUK one and it's free :thumbsup: .
BTW I'm so jealous you've been to see th RedSox.I'm a Yankees fan,but I'm not really serious about supporting a particular team,love watching any team.
Did you go to Fenway?If so I'll be even more jealous.

I saw a Baseball game once, for all of the 4 minutes it too me to fall asleep. My friend had to wake me up at the end of the match before security did.

Are you narcoleptic by any chance?:devil:
Seriously though,if it bores you so much,why look in on a thread for baseball fans?:confused: :suicide:

Will there be cheerleaders? :devil:

It doesn't really matter how many we get,I'm just suggesting we let each other know our team details and we can have a little friends league on FBUK one.There are usually about 3000 entrants on the FBUK one and it's free :thumbsup: .
BTW I'm so jealous you've been to see th RedSox.I'm a Yankees fan,but I'm not really serious about supporting a particular team,love watching any team.
Did you go to Fenway?If so I'll be even more jealous.

Yep both games have at Fenway, last year and in 2004. It's a bit like cricket (Although takes 3-4 hours rather then the whole day) in terms of atmosphere and the fact you can sit down with a beer as well. David Ortiz looks even bigger in person then he does on tv as well, absolute beast of a man.

Just found this, big baseball fan here, went to see montreal years ago but I'm actually a bluejays fan, half canadian you see, I've actually never seen these leagues so I wiil use your link now to have a look, nice one, cheers!

O.K. lads,you can now build your team at FBUK.Done mine this morning.I said I'd help anyone who wanted help and I'm true to my word.

SEASON STARTS ON SUNDAY,SO GET CRACKING!!
First,a few useful links.
MLB.com great for checking results/fixtures etc.

Stats/player info this is what I use to track how players are doing.The rankings at the minute are from last year.The change column is handy as a player in red is dropping in form and in green means they're on a good run.
If you click on a player's name,it takes you to their page,which has injury updates and a specific fantasy analysis for that player.

Help picking your team.Have a scan through this for some value players you might have overlooked otherwise.Ignore references to drafts,keepers,etc.that doesn't apply to our simplified game(thank god).

Tips from me:
Pitchiers usually yield the most points.Pick a couple of top quality pitchers and be patient with them if they have a rocky start.I've got Johan Santana,and he'll be staying put unless he gets injured.Try and pick up a couple of bargains to fill the rest of the spots,but make sure they'll definitley be starting for their team-i.e. check their CBS page before you put them in your team.If you know what E.R.A. is,this is obviously a good indication of how good a pitcher is(the lower the better).But the way the points work,a pitcher who has a high E.R.A.,but strikes out alot of batters and plays for a team who are going to win alot of games,will be better than a great pitcher who doesn't strike out many and plays for a bunch of no-hopers.

Certain positions have certain types of players,Basically your Outfielders and 1st basemen are generally big lumps,who are good batters,whereas tricky positions such as Second-base and Short-stop have quick,nimble fielders who don't have so much power(there are,of course,exceptions).You don't get points for being a good fielder.
Spread your money accordingly.

Finally,here's how you add my team,and others hopefully,to your friends list.
On the FBUK homepage click on 'homepage maintenance',then 'Add a friend' and pick the team from the drop down menu.
My team are called Washy SmellySox.Repeat for as many as you want.Then click 'update team'
Now when you click on standings to check out your position,you can clicks on 'friends' and it'll show a little mini-league between whoever you've picked.

Last year there was a 4-week warm-up period to help newbies get to grips with the format before the proper competition starts.
Any questions,post them here and I'll do my best or follow the link to the proper forums via your team page,to get more expert answers.

I have picked my team and added it to the friends list.

The money seems a but stingy and I expect I will have to alter my team a fair bit once the season gets going!

Cant wait :thumbsup:

I have picked my team and added it to the friends list.

The money seems a but stingy and I expect I will have to alter my team a fair bit once the season gets going!

Cant wait :thumbsup:

Could you post your team name on here,then I can add your team to my friends list :smashin: .

Re the budget-it is a bit tight,last year you only picked 4 pitchers,the year before no DH,so it's getting harder to spread around each year.
I'm an incessant tweaker myself,that's half the fun.Be careful when you're changing pitchers though,as a replacement pitcher can't score points 'til 4 days after the replaced pitcher last played.:lesson:

My team name is SuperOxford and I chose the Jays league

I kept changing my mind about players and am bound to loads of times before the season starts!

my teams benny'sballs mariners division

I have no idea on baseball so didn't know what i was doing oh well it was free!

yeeeessss 14 points, quake all you people as the balls start a rollin!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom