Blu-Ray faking features.

Jeff

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Blu-Ray has dropped to new lows by faking Picture in Picture in one of it's latest films The Descent, instead of having true PiP like on some HD-DVD titles they have 2 full copies of the film on the BD50, one with the extra video window superimposed. You couldn't dream up this stuff.

Is this their vision of putting more extra features for their large capacity? Without which there'd be more empty spaces on their BD50.

tell you what. If you are so gullible i can sell you germany cheap. It may take me some time to aquire or indeed make the deal but i can show you a mock up of what it will look like.

Blu-Ray has dropped to new lows by faking Picture in Picture in one of it's latest films The Descent, instead of having true PiP like on some HD-DVD titles they have 2 full copies of the film on the BD50, one with the extra video window superimposed. You couldn't dream up this stuff.

What difference does it make to the end user? :lease:

now we know why they have more space. crappier codec, worse sound and 2 versions of the movie so they can show pip.

sonys new blu ray player $800
Movie $29
Sony making a complete hash of everything they touch priceless

This is just getting ridiculous,the format gets worse and worse by the day :thumbsdow

The few AV enthusiasts / early adopters around the globe should just knock buying this crap alltogether on the head,, and then everyone can just move on and enjoy the format of choice now and for the future of what true high definition really is = HD DVD :thumbsup:

What difference does it make to the end user? :lease:

Anyone???!!!

None Nada Zilch.

And that is what's so telling about it. If that's all they can think of in utilizing that extra space, then it's just one more argument why anything above what HD DVD offers is useless and offers no value for practical HT purposes.

:rotfl: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You're joking surely? I suggested this as a possible solution following Nic's excellent post on the current BD-J limitations - but I can't believe they would employ such a tacky solution.

Please tell me BluRay hasn't done this :lease:

For those who can't see the implications it means, in lieu of BD-J will we doubtless be subjected to more of the same - with films being compressed so they can fit two on the same disc - in effect back to the bad old 'BD25 only' days. Lossless soundtracks will probably be the first casualty :(

What difference does it make to the end user?
It means they could have used a higher bit rate to give the user a better sound/picture. But they didn't :(.

It means they could have used that space to give the user more extras. But they didn't :(.

It means they either have a technical problem and/or lack of understanding of the users' expectations and/or lack of imagination.

Are you joking :eek: April 1st can't have got here that quick :rotfl: Where did the info come from and has it been validated ?

AVI

Are you joking :eek: April 1st can't have got here that quick :rotfl: Where did the info come from and has it been validated ?

AVI

It's been confirmed on the AVS Insiders thread.The Blu_Ray insider is argueing that since 95% of Blu-Ray players will be PS3 and they have PiP capability this won't be an issue in future. So the message appears to be screw people who bought real Blu-Ray players, we can make interactive PS3 movies. :rolleyes:

The Blu_Ray insider is argueing that since 95% of Blu-Ray players will be PS3
That's an interesting statistic because in USA to end of 2006:

DVD Player sales (excluding DVD-ROM drives and Playstation 2) = 119,462,278 [source: CEMA]

Playstation 2 sales = 41,871,000 * [source: NPD]

* to end of November 2006

Therefore of DVD dedicated player / PS2 sales in USA (excluding DVD-ROM drives) are:

Dedicated players = 74%

Playstation 2 = 26%​

What's he saying about sales of Blu-ray dedicated players?

StooMonster

It's been confirmed on the AVS Insiders thread.The Blu_Ray insider is argueing that since 95% of Blu-Ray players will be PS3 and they have PiP capability this won't be an issue in future. So the message appears to be screw people who bought real Blu-Ray players, we can make interactive PS3 movies. :rolleyes:

Jeff

Thanks. Not very good news for those that early adopted Blu-ray players.

It's bizzare that the Pioneer and Sony players don't work properly with this title given it's not really PiP. Also makes you wonder how many of the other non PS3 players will support this feature since many believed their players were Ok because decent with "PiP" appeared to work.

Glad I stayed clear but I do feel for those that have paid a hefty premium for the current standalone players. :mad:

P*ss up and breweries comes to mind :rotfl:

AVI

:rotfl: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You're joking surely? I suggested this as a possible solution following Nic's excellent post on the current BD-J limitations - but I can't believe they would employ such a tacky solution.

Please tell me BluRay hasn't done this :lease:

For those who can't see the implications it means, in lieu of BD-J will we doubtless be subjected to more of the same - with films being compressed so they can fit two on the same disc - in effect back to the bad old 'BD25 only' days. Lossless soundtracks will probably be the first casualty :(

:) It's not a surprise to me in the slightest. Going this route is because the PS3 is the only Blu Ray device on the market that can decode a secondary video stream, something mandatory in HD DVD's hardware spec but not set to be made mandatory until June at the earliest in Blu Ray. They'd have to adopt a solution that would work on all players and this is the only one. I'd think, and hope, new players announced next week will all conform to the BD-J and advance PiP spec, but we'll have to see. It would be disastrous if any model of second gen Blu Ray player did not meet this specification. If it takes longer for more players to meet this standard, more players on the market won't be able to handle such features which in turn will make content providers wary of implementing features in a way a portion of the user base might never be able to access.

The cumbersome way PiP has to be implemented at the moment is currently the key reason none of Warner's HD DVD releases with the ‘In Movie Experience' have been ported over to Blu Ray, so unless Warner want to adopt this tedious method films like Batman Begins…etc will still remain on HD DVD only until later in the summer, or sometime in the autumn. Warner's position really is that if they can't do the same thing on Blu Ray that they're doing on the opposing format then it's not their problem. Whether there might be pressure on them to work around those problems and use The Descent's solution I don't know, though there's certainly fair indication IME was dropped from the HD DVD of Superman Returns in order to make the Blu Ray release the same.

Does it mean films might be compressed with features/lossless audio at risk using this solution on a 50gb disc? Perhaps. Perhaps not. The Descent is AVC and has 6.1 PCM, though I don't know what the exact data rates are. What it certianly does mean of course is that The Descent joins every single 50gb release on the market thus far in failing to make a good argument as to why that level of capacity is needed because no studio has sought to use it effectively.

The funny thing is many were initially blaming The Descent's lack of ability to work on certain players on its BD-J PiP… yet it's not using BDJ-PiP, so what I wan't to know is why the disc is performing so erratically on various models of non-PS3 hardware? It may be something we never find out. Perhaps it's simply down to poor authoring/QC on 50gb replication and that the PS3 has very good error correction.

There have been reports of problems playing the disc on PS3s as well.

:) It's not a surprise to me in the slightest. Going this route is because the PS3 is the only Blu Ray device on the market that can decode a secondary video stream, something mandatory in HD DVD’s hardware spec but not set to be made mandatory until June at the earliest in Blu Ray. They'd have to adopt a solution that would work on all players and this is the only one. I’d think, and hope, new players announced next week will all conform to the BD-J and advance PiP spec, but we’ll have to see. It would be disastrous if any model of second gen Blu Ray player did not meet this specification. If it takes longer for more players to meet this standard, more players on the market won’t be able to handle such features which in turn will make content providers wary of implementing features in a way a portion of the user base might never be able to access.

Indeed and the early adopter of the format have paid a hefty premium for this privilege. The Decent has highlighted a major issue. No wonder the price of some existing BD players is dropping.:suicide:

AVI

Anyone???!!!

No difference, but if they are saying there players do PIP when in fact the disc does it, it doesn't do much for there credibility. But I guess they are at rock bottom so it probably doesn't matter anymore :rotfl:

Rooster-X

What's this I'm reading. First there's the codec issue that rendered Blurry titles inferior to HD DVD titles until the arrival of BD50. Now I hear this interactivity feature still in the works and, with the only exception being the PS3, won't be a reality until the 2nd gen Blurry players that allow for multiple video streaming arrive. No wonder warner Blurries are said to be inferior to their HD DVD counterparts. I thought all along that interactivity was just a software authoring issue. My goodness, by these indications, it is clear $ony brought Blurry into the world not only half baked, but quite raw when compared to HD DVD that has all the PROMISD features of high def there right from the start. And priced at a premium!!!!, Blurry ought to bury themselves in shame.

lack of software again !

How on earth can BD hope to move forward with sticky tape solutions like this.
If they don't have the resources or are disenclined to finance resources to get PIP sorted, then they have lttle confidence in BDs future imo.

No difference, but if they are saying there players do PIP when in fact the disc does it, it doesn't do much for there credibility. But I guess they are at rock bottom so it probably doesn't matter anymore :rotfl:

Rooster-X

I wonder how seamless this is? The good thing about PiP is the ability to switch it on and off.

The Descent, instead of having true PiP like on some HD-DVD titles they have 2 full copies of the film on the BD50, one with the extra video window superimposed.

Can you move the window, or is it static? If you can move it then it's just a tiny version of the film. A tiny version of the film could actually be scaled with less artifacting than scaling a huge film down in size. So really, this is a better method of getting a really good small picture.

It's a full sized copy of the film with the window pre-added to it. So no you can't move or resize the window (another limitation)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom