Sony Bravia V2500 Series Thread

mofous

Established Member
Reaction score
First things first. Pardon me, if a V2500 thread already exists, I did a search and could not find one.

After a year-long research I finally decided what damn HDTV to buy. As of yesterday I'm a proud Sony Bravia V2500 40" LCD TV owner, no small thanks to this forum, to Lyris and everyone else from the 'Sony camp', so to say. Anyway, it's only fair that I should give back some of the precious info I gathered browsing the forum, so if you guys have any specific V2500 questions, I'll try to answer them. (At least until Lyris reviews it, hehe.)

As far as testing goes I'm afraid I'm a little hardware-limited at the moment, as I only have a xbox 360 (component, vga cable), a wii (default composite cable, should change soon) and a notebook / PC (vga cable), but it's better than nothing I guess.

So, ask away.

Hi

Hope you can guid me with the following questions: :)

I have not posted here before but I have been reading the forum for a few weeks and have found it really helpful. I really need some further help please. I can't decide between the Sony V2000 or the Sony V2500

Is it really worth the wait? I know Jan is just round the corner but what extra am I paying for? Is PQ better then the V2000? A 2nd HDMI ( would a splitter box of some kind not do the same job?)

I spent months looking for a lcd set and decided on the sony compared to the toshiba WLT42

I getting this mainly for watching all those music channels on sky and the telly will be placed in the studio. Will watch movies now and then but its not the main reason for getting the LCD. Having said this I would really appriciate some feedback. I have not got a HD sky box yet, as there is nothing on it for me worth watching.

I read all the info about the bleed problems ( still can't get my head around it) lol. Is this fixed in the V2500? Will I notice this on a Sky feed?

Any expert help and info will be very much appricated,

Thank you in advance

Regards
Stephen

The bleeding problem is very bad on my 32V2500 Set. I am from Spain.
I had changed the set for a 32S2000.

Stephen_007:

Well, from what you wrote above (what the TV will be used for and that) I'd say you aren't exactly someone who's gonna push the TV over it's limits, if you know what I mean. I really don't think you'd be able to notice a huge difference between the V2000 and the V2500, if any at all, since they use practically the same panel / tech.

So I don't know if it's really worth the wait for you. I know it was worth for me, as the extra HDMI will certainly come in handy once I get my hands on a PS3 and possibily a multimedia player component, if the PS3 fails as a multimedia machine. But the lack of an extra HDMI input really isn't such a problem, as you can indeed get a HDMI 'splitter', with no worries about signal quality loss whatsoever (gotta love digital). They are however not exactly cheap, at least for now.

As far as the backlight bleeding is concerned ... I guess I got lucky, as I can't see any on my set. Well, maybe just a sliiiiight bleed in the left-down corner, but it disappears as soon as you're not looking at it directly facing the TV from the front. And that's with a 100% black image, I cannot see it while watching tv / movies / games.

mofous :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to response to my question, I think you have some very good points and its got me thinking. Yeah I think your kind of right I won't notice much difference if at all. My intended use is not going to be movies. Its more or less a playback monitor for the recording studio to watch music DVD / mtv dance etc

A dealer told me that the new V2500 had dynamic contrast / 2 HDMI / A wider backlight angle - well that was about it. He can't get it before xmas.

Also stock of the V2000 is very low and delers can't seem to get there hands on one at the moment. I found have found that the Sony Shops deals are not over impressive! they don't do much on price....anyone prove me wrong?

I know Comet will be having the v2500 set in January for £1999 I can't see myself spending that much for my use. Maybe the V2000 is the way to go.

The dealer also offered me the Toshiba WLT42 but maybe even that might be overkill being 1080 screen resolution and that… etc.

Would the sky blocky picture show up more on a set like the Toshiba considering it screen size and the fact that its a full HD screen?

Any input in always welcome :clap:

Regards
Stephen

After a year-long research I finally decided what damn HDTV to buy. As of yesterday I'm a proud Sony Bravia V2500 40" LCD TV owner, no small thanks to this forum, to Lyris and everyone else from the 'Sony camp', so to say.
Thank you, but I need to point out, "Sony Camp" relating to televisions only! :D

I have a question. Can you connect a DVD Player through Component and set it to output Progressive Scan video, turn the Sharpness on the TV all the way down, bring up it's on screen menu, and tell me if the letters are totally clear and distinct over the background, or if they have white glowing to the left and right of them?

I stayed on their back over this "halo bug" but they never fixed it on the KDL-__V2000s. I hope they corrected it for these.

I got my 32V2500 today instore from www.krishav.co.uk, for £1100! They don't have it listed on the site. Freeview looks sweet, its my first HD set! Im hoping to get a VGA cable and watch the HD content I've got on my laptop. At the moment PS2 is connected via crappy composite, but Im hoping to get myself component cables to up the quality.

Here it is in all its glory!
DSC00068.jpg

I dont understand? just been on that web site and the V2500 is not listed only the V2000??:confused:

I dont understand? just been on that web site and the V2500 is not listed only the V2000??:confused:

I actually phoned them up last week asking about availability of the 32V2500 and luckily enough they said they would have stock before Christmas, for £1100. They then emailed me last week saying they would get stock yesterday (Friday 15th December), the almighty number of 2 units! So I asked them to reserve one for me and I picked it up in store on the day.

They probably didn't put it on their website because of the extremely low number of units they got. Maybe someone else ordered the other unit over the phone as well like me?

The owner of the shop was suprised I knew about the TV. He was like 'How do you know about this new model? etc.', I was like 'I've got my sources :) (Av Forums of course! (Especially Lyris!)'

Originally I was going to buy the V2000 from KrishAV for £973! The day I went to buy it, they had sold out of units! Luckily for me over the next few days I found out about the V2500. I was upset it was officially going to be released in January. So I hunted around phoning various shops, and what a stroke of luck I had! I reccomend phoning shops up for these things, if I hadn't I wouldn't have this 32V2500 right now!

Also anyone else who has the V2500 know if its got HDMI 1.3 or not? I know its meaningless, but just be nice to know if I have the latest in High Defenition Multimedia Interface!

Can you connect a DVD Player through Component and set it to output Progressive Scan video, turn the Sharpness on the TV all the way down, bring up it's on screen menu, and tell me if the letters are totally clear and distinct over the background, or if they have white glowing to the left and right of them?

Now that there are quite a few v2500 owners out there could somebody please do this simple test to put our minds at ease. If results are positive I might finally have found a tv worth buying :thumbsup:

I have a question. Can you connect a DVD Player through Component and set it to output Progressive Scan video, turn the Sharpness on the TV all the way down, bring up it's on screen menu, and tell me if the letters are totally clear and distinct over the background, or if they have white glowing to the left and right of them?
I stayed on their back over this "halo bug" but they never fixed it on the KDL-__V2000s. I hope they corrected it for these.

I'll try to get my hands on a dvd player tomorrow. I'll let you know.

I see the "Halo-Effect" in the XBox360 dashboard. There is white glowing mainly to the right of letters (or is the white glowing supposed to be there?!). The XBox is connected through Component. In games the effect is not noticable.

I do not notice the effect in analogue cable TV mode, freeview and DVD connected through HDMI.

It shouldn't be something holding you off from buying the TV...

What output resolution is the Xbox 360 sending to the TV?

I think there's meant to be a light shadow or embossed effect but no huge 'scabby' bits.

What output resolution is the Xbox 360 sending to the TV?

I think there's meant to be a light shadow or embossed effect but no huge 'scabby' bits.

The output resolution is 720p. Unfortunately, I can't compare the dashboard effect to other LCDs. Perhaps I am able to check this at the weekend when I visit a friend of mine with LG LCD TV...

Well, the -V2000 series didn't have the problem with 720p. So I'm hoping that the new ones are either the same as the -V2000s or better! Might just be the intended effect on the dashboard itself.

Well, the -V2000 series didn't have the problem with 720p. So I'm hoping that the new ones are either the same as the -V2000s or better! Might just be the intended effect on the dashboard itself.

The V2000 didn't have halo issues at 720p then?

Correct, yeah.

So it was only under 1080i conditions?

The reason I'm curious is because surely most material on a non-1080p panel would be better running at 720p anyway?

No, it was on 480i/p, 576i/p, and barely visible but there on 1080i.

The reason I'm curious is because surely most material on a non-1080p panel would be better running at 720p anyway?
Sometimes, depends on the device though. It's better to let my TV handle the downscaling of 1080p HD DVDs than to let the player do it.

No, it was on 480i/p, 576i/p, and barely visible but there on 1080i.

Sometimes, depends on the device though. It's better to let my TV handle the downscaling of 1080p HD DVDs than to let the player do it.

So on the V2000 downsampled 1080p is better than a native 720p signal? Or again does it depend on the source?

The Xbox 360 is what I'm mostly concerned about.

rupbert

Anjou (who owns the 32V2000) referred to the XBox360 dashboard effect I saw on the 32V2500 and mentioned above:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3276155&postcount=153

I do notice slight halos on my Xbox 360 through component on the black text on the Dashboard at 720/1080i but I have seen this on other TVs and it may be a result of sharpening within the machine itself. It makes the text look 3Dish and sharp from acoss the room. I don't notice halos at all when playing games, except maybe on the text between loads in Oblivion which seems to have the same 'sharpness'.

Smurf_2010 mentioned that the Philips 9830 has similar problems:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3111393&postcount=15

Can someone post a picture of this effect? Is it similar to the XBOX 360 dashboard problem on the 9830, due to over sharpening?

For me it is only noticable when displaying black letters on a lighter background (i.e. XBox360 dashboard). However, the halos appear to the right of letters only (not to the left). Maybe it really is the intended effect. Will investigate that further.

But I have found another thing which is mostly visible on freeview and cable TV but also when using DVD through HDMI (although a lot less visible): When the camera is moving fast from the left to the right or vice versa (f.ex. when watching soccer/football) I get one or more vertical ghosting lines (at least one in the left third of the screen) which disappear when cameramoving has ended or slows down. It seems like a wave effect. It's hard to describe. :( Have not seen this effect when playing games or movies with my XBox360 yet. Is it the deinterlacer or just the brutal truth when watching SD content which is now more noticable then on CRTs?

But I have found another thing which is mostly visible on freeview and cable TV but also when using DVD through HDMI (although a lot less visible): When the camera is moving fast from the left to the right or vice versa (f.ex. when watching soccer/football) I get one or more vertical ghosting lines (at least one in the left third of the screen) which disappear when cameramoving has ended or slows down. It seems like a wave effect. It's hard to describe. :( Have not seen this effect when playing games or movies with my XBox360 yet. Is it the deinterlacer or just the brutal truth when watching SD content which is now more noticable then on CRTs?

i get this exact effect on my 28" Sony CRT. I allways put it down to 4:3 TV being scaled to fit my widescreen tv. Maybe you dont see it on Xbox 360 because its naturally widescreen ?

test this theory by looking at BBC News 24 on freeview, this is broadcast natively in widescreen, so shouldnt exhibit the same problem.

So on the V2000 downsampled 1080p is better than a native 720p signal? Or again does it depend on the source?

The Xbox 360 is what I'm mostly concerned about.

rupbert

The V-Series shows a black screen for 1080p input (I'm sending it 1080i). Again it depends on what you're using it with. The Toshiba HD-A1 used to do a horrible, horrible job scaling 1080p down to 720p. New firmware means that it's almost as good but the best quality's still to be had from sending the TV 1080i and letting it take care of fitting it in to the panel's pixels.

There's no one size fits all way of saying what will look best, but thankfully it's easy enough to check.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom