Canon MVX460 vs Sony DCR-HC46

CJSIMPSON

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking into purchasing my new camcorder for a few weeks now but I have been asked to film a renewal of vows for a silver wedding so I need my camera pretty wuick to get used to it.

I have pretty much narowed it down to the mvx 460 and the hc46, I was just wondering if anybody could shed any light on these cameras I have read a good review of the mvx 460 in a magazine and seems OK on net but can't find much also I have seen the MV series of canons suffer from noise, not so much the mvx my old one had noise and wasnt too much of a problem.

Can anybody give any practical differences or obvious differences in quality between these 2 cameras they are right at the top of my budget, I didnt want to spend this much as we don't use it that much but thought they might be worth it.

Feel free to share your views and express your opinions.

Thanks

Using this site (which do very detailed, impartial reviews – though on US models), the Canon seems to have the edge.
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ratings.php
If you read the review of the HC46 it compares it to the Elura 100 (which is the US version of the MVX460), and they rate the Canon higher.

The only concerns I’d have about the Canon is possible motor noise (though this seems to be more reported with the MV series than the MVX.)

It also seems they have had more quality issues than Sony, e.g. the world’s longest thread…..though to their credit they eventually provided free fixes.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200489

The MVX460 is probably better, the HC46 may be “safer”…

Thanks for that, I still can't make up my mind though and as quality and price are concerns also I am now looking at the HC44. Does anyone know where I can get some sample footage for these cameras? I have listened to the sound files for them and there is some noise on the MVX460, less than my current camera that has just broken after 4 years. I though this sound was normal but the sony clip had no noise at all.

For comparison my old camera was a JVC GR-DVL167EK, keeps telling me to eject and reinsert tape at different intervals and at set points of certain tapes.
I have been hppy enough with this quality, I dont expect anything top notch but I would expect my new one to be noticably better.

I have also looked at panasonic nv-gs37 and 180, 37 not widescreen I dont think, 180 more expensive.

Your thoguhts or advice please??

There is someone on here who just bought a 44, maybe he/she can post some footage..

You are right the Panny 37 isn't widescreen... the GS180 has 3 CCDs which is good, but it has one drawback - you can't use the image stabilisation in widescreen mode.

The only difference between the 44 and 46 is the 46 has DV-in, the 44 does not.

Thanks again, I noticed the dvin difference on the sonys I dont think I am too bothered about that as I have read that mixing tapes isnt good and that could have contributed to my current camea breaking. So all my old ones are redundant really and once edited and put on dvd that is as good a quality as I am going to get. I suppose it would be good to keep it incase anything comes along that keeps the dv format so could copy from that without any loss of quality but who knows.

I want a small camcorder thats reliable, good picture quality in various environments including inside doesnt have to be perfect, widescreen the cheaper the better. I think my choices are the best in class really do you agree?

I was all set to go for canon then read loads about motor noise which put me off a bit now I have read up on the sony and they don't seem to be good in low light. Is this about right? can anyone recommend?

I found a good review for the mvx460 in a mag they liked it.
hc44 - £280, HC46 £310, mvx460 £320.

Regarding DV-in - I think you've got it a bit confused.. the use of DV-in is that after editing you can save your newly edited footage in DV format. To edit your old tapes you don't need DV-in.

And while I agree it is best not to mix tapes, if you've got old tapes of various brands that you do want to edit, I say edit them. I have used various tapes and not seen a problem. Now I've heard enough people's experiences with problems to say avoid it as much as you can... but I wouldn't go so far as to avoid editing or playing some old tapes because of the brand. Just keep an eye on it and have a head cleaner ready.

And yes, between those camcorders the Canon has better performance in low light, and slightly better all around video performance. But as I said before offset it against possible motor noise and some quality issues in the past. I think it is a toss up.

CJ,
I was in same dilemma as yourself not too long ago. After buying an mv930 with unbearable motor noise I looked at mvx460 and canon HC44/46.

Tested both (HC46 not 44) in shop conditions onto tape. Both had imperceptable motor noise in those conditions. Picture appeared better on Canon. Just an opinion, Im not a professional. Canon seemed to have easier controls (but all my other kit is canon so I am used to their icons).Found the touch screen annoying in the 5 mins Iplayed with Sony, and couldnt helpthinking howlong would that last. Ease of use, acceptable noise level and picture swung it in canons favour, but all are subjective opinions.

So I bought the mvx460. World apart from the mv930, however indoors in quiet environment the motor noise is still there, however outside or during dialogue it is very low, unlike the 930 where the noise was constantly dominant. Ive just bought a zoom microphone and flash bracket as the mvx430 has mic in, so where I want a really clear tape Ill use that.

Hi

Go for MV960, very good picture quality ,with the motor noise dont worry about it you can remove the noise in vegas 6.0 just do delete audio track.Am right Redson..Also MV 960 got DV IN and also AV IN. all for a decent price.

Rgds

Nizam

You can delete an audio track in any editor, but if you want the audio but remove the noise, that is difficult.

MV960 is a good budget model; mvx460 is a better (but more expensive) model. And it seems it doesn't have much of a noise issue.

I was asked to buy a camcorder for my father in laws birthday and it was down to these two. After much research I went in favour of the Canon. From everything I read the motor noise isnt too bad but the picture and overall quality of the Canon is much better.

What about reliability though with it being a new model of camcorder do we know about the build quality yet? My old camera my JVC broke in less than 4 years which I dont think is anywhere near good enough especially considering it isnt used that much.

Any thoughts?

Well after finding out that the one I ordered wasnt actually in stock am now a bit buggered. Apparently there is a massive back order with canon for them and its going to be the end of the month till they can cover it.

Bugger.

Not only is it his birthday this weekend, but his other daughter is also getting married on Saturday and need it for then! Might have to have another look at the sony.

Have now ordered the Sony - will have it in time for the birthday and wedding so will let people know what it is like after that as am sure my in-laws will have me converting all the footage to DVDs for them.

I have today ordered a HC44 for £280 so I will wait and see and post back when I have tested it. I would like to thank everyone for their input on this matter you have been a great help but I have gone for the sony for reputation, the image might be better on the canon but I cant see it being that noticable without scrutinising it and at the end of the day if people are taking that much notice of the quality they are not enjoying whats on the screen enough.

Thanks.

Nunew3 could you please tell me if the Canon MVX460 lived up to your expectations. I am about to purchase new camcorder and have settled (I think) on this model. I will be using it on Safari and my previous model Sony was awful if it was windy! such a noise. Is it possible to shut off the camera mic. and plug in another? Do you edit your videos and if so which software do you use? Thanks in advance of your reply

The MVX460 is great as a camcorder. Easy to use, good picture quality and flexibility.

However it still has alittle motor noise in certain conditions. Nowhere near as bad as the 930 model.

When it is bad I can reduce it somewhat with Some audio software I have.

But in most conditions it is not noticeable.

It does have an external mic socket, but it doesnt have a hot shoe for mounting the mic. I did intend to get an external mic, to ensure clear recordings after the 930, but the 460 was bearable so I havent bothered.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom