Samsung SP46L6HX has arrived

the_pauley

Ex Member
Reaction score
Just been up till 5am after getting intimate with my new toy. Arrived Sunday afternoon.

No demo you willl have in a shop will prepare you for the quality of this screen when properly calibrated and fed with a quality source and connections.

My mate who thought I was mad when I said I was buying a rear screen projector was gobsmacked and has decided to buy one after a few minutes viewing.

Knockout! :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

That good? Does it compare well to the Sagem HD45? Cause I've been thinking about getting either the Sagem or the Samsung but have been unable to find any support for the Samsung!

I'm waiting for the 56 Inch L6HX to come out, will this be better than the current 50 inch 7HX?

I received mine on Friday. And to be honest I have slightly mixed feelings at this stage. There is no doubting the quality of the picture. Simply feeding it an RGB scart from my cable box and DVD player gives excellent results. Far brighter and more colour-rich than my previous Hitachi CRT rear projection. Sound is adequate. As an object it is certainly desirable and incredibly light at 30kilos (As a comparison, my old crt set weighed in at 96kilos!). The menus are also intuitive and the supplied learning remote is also nicely laid out.

Unfortunately both my girlfriend and I see rainbows. Never having been anywhere near a DLP set before (other than in to comet when I was buying) I had no opportunity to know whether I was affected or not. There is a really simple test that I can recommend to anyone with a cable box. Head on over to your radio channels and whatch the white text scrolling. Then simply move your head left and right. This technique actually works with any image but the radio channels give the clearest result.

I haven't decided yet whether this means the set goes back or not. Watching the cricket and the golf yesterday was great. Unfortunately watching the Mask of Zorro last night proved to be utterly disorientating. I am hoping that our eyes will simply adjust over time. I should also say that I was watching last night with tired eyes after a long drive and those may not have been the best conditions in which to judge something like this.

A good test for rainbows is as you say looking at a moving image with contrast light and dark images, black & white movies give a good result also. Unfortunately it's very difficult to see them in the stores, as I dissapointedly discovered probably due to the ambient light thats present. It's only when you get it set up at home do you reaaly get a chance to see if you're on of those unfortunate souls.

kmhtkmhtkmht said:
I'm waiting for the 56 Inch L6HX to come out, will this be better than the current 50 inch 7HX?

i'm waiting for the 56L6HX too

I've just ordered my 46 incher. I think 56" would be just a tad too big.... Have no idea when the TV will arrive though cause apparently there are stock shortages left right and centre.

Tested the set with a wide variety of discs. Including lots of stuff with light against a dark background. Fortunately I don't seem to be susceptible to the rainbow effect.

The only place I've noticed it is on the THX Optomizer. On the tests for 4:3 / 16:9 where the white circle is on the black background, moving one's eyes rapidly from side to side produces very obvious rainbows on the circle. Other than that no occurrences.

The effect can be lessened by lowering the contrast of the set. Factory settings on most of the picture options (colour, brightness, sharpness, contrast) are a touch high, with the contrast ratio being a bit OTT at a 100% setting. Taking these settings down considerably -especially contrast- will reduce the rainbow effect for those that suffer from it.

Sweet, nice to know that you're happy with it. I ordered a SP46L6HX from Robertson's about 3 weeks ago, but they still haven't got any stock, the wait is getting unbearable :( Where did you get yours from?

Edit: Also, are you using the stand? If possible, could you tell me the measurements from the ground the shelf? I've trying to see if I can fit my Panasonic Q under the shelf, but it's hard to tell from the picture if there is enough room.

I had been looking at this set having seen all the positive feedback. However I went to look at the local AV store and was really disappointed with what I saw. They were running one of the Star Trek movies via component. I hope it was just the set up and a poor DVD player with crappy deinterlacing they were running. There were serious jaggies and horrible judder. Please tell me no one else has this when properly set up! How good will this display be in a room with a lot of ambient light and sunlight coming in? The light is mostly from behind the viewing position.

rushers said:
I had been looking at this set having seen all the positive feedback. However I went to look at the local AV store and was really disappointed with what I saw. They were running one of the Star Trek movies via component. I hope it was just the set up and a poor DVD player with crappy deinterlacing they were running. There were serious jaggies and horrible judder. Please tell me no one else has this when properly set up! How good will this display be in a room with a lot of ambient light and sunlight coming in? The light is mostly from behind the viewing position.

this could be the same situation as you get in Curry's, dont let that bother you too much, i.e crappy feed/ dvd player/cheap leads etc .......... and finally, very poorly set up.

i think with this DLP, everything else needs to be top quality too..because this is what i read here anyway! because the SP 50 Pedestal looks awfall in Curry's.

when it's time to buy my SP56, i'll post in here; asking which is the best dvd etc.....i'll then go out and buy what it sais here.........but i'll definitely ignore what those muppets at curry's recommend, because they know sod all. :D

and i mean that too, because they asked me how to set up the sp 50 and i did it for them..............as best i could and i too, know sod all...they gave the remote and i fooled around with it for ten minutes....

that sp 50 in currys is knackered out, i'd give them 500 quid for it..great shame :thumbsdow

at Currys they're no experts, they're simply shop assistants....they're good at retail only...they're also quite expensive.

Currys are great for microwaves, ovens, cookers etc, but they dont understand their TVs, after all..................what's their biggest selling DLP and they love it too.......YES, IT'S THE SONY GRAND WEGA and it's total pants :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

mr_sockochris said:
Sweet, nice to know that you're happy with it. I ordered a SP46L6HX from Robertson's about 3 weeks ago, but they still haven't got any stock, the wait is getting unbearable :( Where did you get yours from?

Edit: Also, are you using the stand? If possible, could you tell me the measurements from the ground the shelf? I've trying to see if I can fit my Panasonic Q under the shelf, but it's hard to tell from the picture if there is enough room.
Got mine from Comet. Robertson's were cheaper but they just couldn't give a firm date. Comet told me they'd have them in stock on 9th of August for delivery on the 14th and were good as their word. :smashin:

No, I'm not using the supplied stand. Although the shelves of the Samsung stand are each approximately 100cm wide at the front, the sides of the stand angle in as they go towards the rear so the opening is narrower at the back. I am using a Pioneer AX5Ai-S AV amplifier that is huge and slightly deeper than the front to back distance of the stand. This would mean I would have to locate it centrally so I wouldn't have any room for my other AV kit on the bottom shelf. Top shelf is needed for the centre speaker. Also, shelf height (top and bottom) is approximately 20cm each. This would have meant I had about 1cm to spare above the AV amp, nowhere near enough for adequate ventilation - the beastie runs hot!

As an alternative I chose the Ikea Oppli rack (£56) after it got a 5-star review in Home Cinema Choice. It beat some dedicated AV racks costing £300+ and looked a lot better / different than the usual glass and steel racks. Also nice and low as well. Lower than Samsung's supplied rack and most dedicated AV stands. Perfect height for viewing.

Tried my CD player on the shelf while I was setting it up. Acoustic isolation is excellent! :smashin:

Also it holds all my AV kit - amp, Freeview box, DVD player DVD recorder and -with a little adjustment- my centre speaker. I had to drill a couple of extra shelf support holes a few cms down from the lowest pre-drilled ones to accommodate the speaker.

I think it looks sleek, elegant and compact and best of all no glass shelves to show up the spaghetti junction of cabling at the back. See what you think...

(Excuse the golden "glow" to the pic, but was taken with a long exposure as attempts to take flash pics just resulted in huge screen glare and dark surroundings.)

Attachments

• DLP1.JPG
    DLP1.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 699
Isn't 46 a bit TOO small?

If I were to give you the SP50L7HX or the SP46L6HX for free, which would you pick?

General Happiness?

rushers said:
Watched Star Trek: First Contact last night and it looked stunning! Don't go off in store set-ups, they're invariably rubbish. It's a wonder they manage to sell any sets.

kmhtkmhtkmht said:
Isn't 46 a bit TOO small?

If I were to give you the SP50L7HX or the SP46L6HX for free, which would you pick?

What's the Native Resolution when connected to a PC?

General Happiness?
Size does matter :devil: , but it is relevant to location and requirements.

I didn't even consider the SP50L7HX. Screen is too high for my liking and that centre pedestal leaves nowhere for a centre speaker. I auditioned the Sagem 45" in-store at Comet and thought that it might be a bit small. However, when I got home I tried positioning a piece of card the size of the screen in front of my 32" CRT, I was shocked by how much bigger it looked than in the store. Different kettle of fish in the average living room.

From my seating position the screen virtually fills my field of vision which makes it nigh on a perfect size for me. This will do fine. Don't want too big a set as when the room it is renovated it will become home to a projector and 120" screen, so the Samsung will be relocated into a smaller room than it is now.

General happiness? Grinning from ear to ear. :D The Sagem was good but I much prefer the Samsung.

Not tried a PC set up yet.

mr_sockochris said:

Hi,

I'm using the supplied stand. It is 48cm tall and 78 cm wide at the back. I know this because I've made a backboard for my AV cables out of B&Q hardboard. I used B&Q's own antique grey paint for a colour match and it's pretty much spot on.

I could not tell you the width at the front but it is, at a guess, at least 20cm wider at each side.

Message to "the pauly". Thanks for posting the pic, I have the same Ikea unit and was concerned about getting such a large set (samsung 46" weird coinsidence), tried visualizing but that don't work does it. You have solved my problem. Thanks.
Could you now tell me how to best fit my childs cot into our bedroom. :)

Have ordered from Robertsons online 2 weeks and have been told the SP 46 will be delivered this Saturday when I spoke to them today Good ol' Kevin. I ordered this TV after having read many of the threads on AV forums. I am a total novice when it comes to setting up so would appreciate all advice. I have Sony 905 DVD player, Telewest Cable box Video all connected via standard scart cables, thinking about buying some form of equipment ie amp or home cinema that will connect everything together so advice needed here too. I would like to say thank you to members like Razor who have influenced my decision. I hope i'm not one of the few that suffers from the " rainbow effect"

Setup is a doddle with the easy and intuitive menu system on the set.

As I stated in an earlier thread, some picture settings are at ridiculously high levels so can do with decreasing (the scale runs from 0-100 for each setting and contrast is factory set at 100!!! :eek: ).

After you have the TV set up through its own menu system, try the THX Optomizer on any THX certified disc to tweak the picture settings.

There are also three picture modes Standard, Dynamic and Cinema. With the first two I can't really see any difference. The third tends to soften the picture by giving it a "warm" look. Says in the manual that this recreates the look of film. Despite playing with the settings, it just seems to dull the picture compared to the other two modes. I suspect it is a tweak for reducing picture noise in less than great discs.

Ordered my Samsung 46 from Robertsons as well so I hope they come up with the goods! I was just told they were getting more stock in and wasn't given a delivery date. Fingers crossed!

the pauley , can you give me your settings cinema , sharpness contrast etc ive had this beauty about a month , cant find setting for this any where on her only for a 50 inch posted by kableman.
by the way i love it,missus said whats the big deal about it .now i cant get her out of my tv room :) also the pq did get better after a couple of weeks someone mentioned this bulb settling in cheers :hiya:

Hi pauley,

Could you possible take a picture of the top self from the stand & give me the measurements. say length, depth ect as i want to see if this TV will fit my room. theres only one place i can place it, the width is just ok but need to make a cardboard cut out to make fully sure it will fit.

Would be very greatful to you if you could do this for me.

Many thanks

knightsyr said:
the pauley , can you give me your settings cinema , sharpness contrast etc ive had this beauty about a month , cant find setting for this any where on her only for a 50 inch posted by kableman.
by the way i love it,missus said whats the big deal about it .now i cant get her out of my tv room :) also the pq did get better after a couple of weeks someone mentioned this bulb settling in cheers :hiya:
I can give you my picture settings, but bear in mind that these will vary depending on your ambient light, viewing conditions and other variables.

First of all I don't bother with Cinema Mode as for me it makes the picture a touch too warm / rich, so I haven't bothered optomizing for that. But try it - you may like the effect.

On the other two modes, using the THX Optomizer, brightness and colour are set at about 50%. Sharpness has -to my eyes- a barely noticeable effect at either extreme, so I've plumped for the middle setting as well (50%).

Contrast is set at about 65% (still having the odd play around with this one!). Anywhere around the 60-70% mark seems to give a satisfactory result on the THX contrast test - depends how white you want your whites.

The same settings seem to work for both NTSC and PAL THX Optomizers.

For all Freeview broadasts I engage the DNIe as I find it gives them that little added lift. Use this for some DVDs too, mainly older movies that are a touch "soft", but again this one is down to personal picture preferences.

I've also heard that about the picture improving as the bulb burns in. Can't wait as I'm over the moon about the PQ as it is! :)

kingtj said:
Hi pauley,

Could you possible take a picture of the top self from the stand & give me the measurements. say length, depth ect as i want to see if this TV will fit my room. theres only one place i can place it, the width is just ok but need to make a cardboard cut out to make fully sure it will fit.

Would be very greatful to you if you could do this for me.

Many thanks
I can't take a pic of the stand as it's still in the packing as I'm not using it. Will eventually use it to hold a smaller LCD set and other equipment in another room.

I have attached a pic of the set on the stand from an online source. The measurements I quoted for shelf height were given to me by someone else who has the set. As far as I remember the unit is 1089mm wide by 440mm deep. Just measured the box the stand is in and that's 1200mm x 460mm, so the WxD dimensions will be slightly less than those. As you can see the sides come in as they go back, leaving a gap of 780mm at the back.

Attachments

• Samsung SP46-L6HXX.jpg
    Samsung SP46-L6HXX.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 274
Hey Paulie:

Is the 50 Inch Version of your set better than the current pedestal 7HX?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom