Video Piracy is ILLEGAL.

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Anyone found discussing where to download pirated and therefore ILLEGAL movies will get a week ban from the forums.
Any threads on this topic will be instantly deleted, of course.
Please refrain from promoting illegal activities in this forum.

Just out of interest, I saw some threads closed about removing DRM. Is that illegal too? I was aware of the US DMCA laws on this, but in the uk?

I think that European Law now contains something similar. DVD Jon breaking the DVD CSS encryption was not deemed illegal in Norway a few years back (movie companies tried to prosecute him and failed), but apparently it would be these days.

the European law is considerably worse than the DMCA. No pesky issues of constitutional protection of free speech to worry about, though this varies by country. If your German, then you're probably okay. In the UK (or Scandinavia) you go to jail. Even the "press the shift key" thing is potentially infringing, with no requirement to demonstrate actual damage. Not that the EC are in the pockets of big industry....grumble grumble....

Our great leader was all for it of course, him and his weasle-like chums....

Stephen Neal said:
I think that European Law now contains something similar. DVD Jon breaking the DVD CSS encryption was not deemed illegal in Norway a few years back (movie companies tried to prosecute him and failed), but apparently it would be these days.

Norway isn't in the EU.

Personally I think it should be considered illegal of Microsoft to advertise a High Definition DVD version of Terminator II with no mention on the sleeve of the DRM licence situation and its regional restrictions. After all, we do live in a Global community with readily available "legal" multi region DVD players and importable DVDs dont we?
From my point of view, I have just "legally" bought the DVD from Play USA specifically for the High Definition version and found out that I cant play the movie because I just happen to be in the wrong geographical location and have to acquire this other "Licence". I have a multi-region DVD-Rom player and have spent my hard-earned money "legally" on this DVD, only to find that I cant even access it all, specifically the part I bought it for in the first place. No wonder there is so much piracy around if this is how companies like Microsoft treat their customers. In my opinion, this kind of treatment of genuine customers borders on criminal itself.
Gae

P.S. Yes, I've tried using "proxy switcher" but after reading the message "it appears you are using an anonymous proxy" and the interactual player failing to install and run a few dozen times, this customer eventually had enough. I will definately think twice in the future about buying any more "legal" WMVHD discs!!!

I suspect this DRM thing will become the very reason why most people will get their HD content through 'alternative' channels. If I could buy DRM free movies online for a reasonable (i.e. a lot less than HMV prices) then I would.

At the moment I'm only watching trailers and legally obtained DRM-free content and can't see how it will change any time soon. The movie industry are shooting themselves in the foot by preventing people from buying and using their products in a fair manner.

Matt

robpow said:
I suspect this DRM thing will become the very reason why most people will get their HD content through 'alternative' channels. If I could buy DRM free movies online for a reasonable (i.e. a lot less than HMV prices) then I would.

Matt

Look here for DRM free HD dvd's.

http://www.1a-dvdshop.ch/DefaultTOP.asp?sb=wmv (The second part of the list has DRM but the first part doesnt.)

http://esd.e-sonopress.com/product....22403&random=7455e08d54963852ffa572399b09e5b9

I have used both suppliers and recived a good service from both.

Happy shopping. :)

Gae said:
Personally I think it should be considered illegal of Microsoft to advertise a High Definition DVD version of Terminator II with no mention on the sleeve of the DRM licence situation and its regional restrictions. After all, we do live in a Global community with readily available "legal" multi region DVD players and importable DVDs dont we?
From my point of view, I have just "legally" bought the DVD from Play USA specifically for the High Definition version and found out that I cant play the movie because I just happen to be in the wrong geographical location and have to acquire this other "Licence". I have a multi-region DVD-Rom player and have spent my hard-earned money "legally" on this DVD, only to find that I cant even access it all, specifically the part I bought it for in the first place. No wonder there is so much piracy around if this is how companies like Microsoft treat their customers. In my opinion, this kind of treatment of genuine customers borders on criminal itself.
Gae

Sorry but if you buy a disc from a region not supported then you forfeit your rights as its the IP holder who has the right to restrict his IP.
An MR machine is technically illegal if you use it in such a capacity. to own an MR machine however is legal. (dependent of laws of the land).

Any justification of piracy holds no merit, more so just because you cant have somthing you want. If there was no piracy perhaps we would not have to endure all these tight DRM resrtictions. The more piracy spreads the tighter DRM will become. see next DVD format as example of that.

Would you not protect your IP if it was being distrubuted behind your back for a profit. Im sure you would.

As for T2 you can find elsewhere regular updates for new working proxy servers. But TBH i was not all that impressed with the quality of the T2 transfer. wait for the blu-ray version.

Would you not protect your IP if it was being distrubuted behind your back for a profit. Im sure you would.

I'd prosecute the people stealing from me rather than inconvinence and punish all the legitamate people but thats just me. :rolleyes:

It's starting to get silly. I watched a DVD yesturday that had a full 5 mins of unskipable anti piracy messages and adverts. First an advert (the you wouldn't steal a car one) then had to sit through an anti copyright message followed by what punishments could be done to us if we do pirate in many many languages and for many countries, including for some reason Australia (it was a region 2 dvd):nono:

When I walk into a shop I'm not taken asside by a security guard and read the riot act for 5 mins and certainly not in many languages before I'm allowed to enter.

Made me want to get hold of a pirate copy

No, but the point is there is a security guard/camera system there and that is your visual deterrent.

Also what if you have a change in character and then decide to steal something from that shop, the protection is in place to try and counter you. IP holders are only doing the same thing. Also you have never seen a sign that says shop lifters will be prosecuted?

Piracy is expanding and its got IP holders in a frenzy to protect themselves.

im not saying i agree at the lenghs its going but prevention is better than cure. AACS/HDCP/DTCP is prevention, more prosecutions is cure

And if a few mins of your time makes you want to engage in criminal activity then that says somthing about ones character

Also what if you have a change in character and then decide to steal something from that shop, the protection is in place to try and counter you. IP holders are only doing the same thing. Also you have never seen a sign that says shop lifters will be prosecuted?

Of course and that sign is completly unobtrusive and doesn't in any way affect the person going in there to legitamatly shop. That is not the case with 5 minutes of unskipple text slowly skipping buy 90% of it in languages I don't understand.

im not saying i agree at the lenghs its going but prevention is better than cure. AACS/HDCP/DTCP is prevention, more prosecutions is cure

Prevention is better than cure if that prevention doesn't hurt legitamate people. Security guards that keep out of peoples way, a sign or two, cameras, a little label that sets off an alarm when it leaves the shop are all great prevention methods that make no difference to you whatsoever if you are going to go about your buisness legitly. Prevention that hinders, inconviences, costs alot (making people upgrade to the tune of thousands of pounds simply for this prevention) is not better than cure. Prosecute the guilty and leave the innocent alone.

And if a few mins of your time makes you want to engage in criminal activity then that says somthing about ones characte

I've been a completely legiatmate person for along time. But companies are forcing me to break the law if I wish to enjoy the content I've paid for in the way I want too. If your going to make someone a criminal then they may as well break the same law and not pay you for the privallage. Then they will get a copy of the product that allows them to enjoy it in any way they wish. Rather than paying for CD's that don't allow you to turn them into mp3's.

Piracy is expanding and its got IP holders in a frenzy to protect themselves.

Fingers crossed that there methods cost them dear. If you treat people like criminals expect them to act like them.

Region coded movies are not made by pirates, they are made by relevant parties for the studios. If I buy an original (legit) dvd from japan (i know... same region as us) or r1 or any other region, that i can't get here then the relevant people will still get their money. It's no different to if i was an american or japanese person buying the disc elsewhere. I don't mind the anti-piracy features on dvds (though agree about the messages: if you have already bought it then forcing you to sit through them is useless - preaching to the converted etc). If either of the hd disc formats didn't have region coding I'd support that one. As it is, if region coding is getting heavier I think I'll have to find some good books to read and start playing more pc /console games. Before dvds were out I never bought movies i.e. only watched on tv or rented. The movie industry got a new customer out of me (the person who had only bought 1 vhs precorded tape ever). I don't download movies, don't use file sharing programs to get them or rip other people's dvds. Start offering me, the guy who wants to buy the material you produce, some good options.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom