Sony KDFE50A12 part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately the Home Cinema Choice website is really crap at getting reviews online so it'll be some time before the KDF-E50 review is up there to read.

How did it do? How many stars did they give it etc...?

baldrick unfortunatly it got a bit of a slagging , i thought it would have done a little better as the initial reports were good , the reviewer wasnt pleased by the fan noise , or black levels ,he liked the way it looks and the features , but feels the new sxrd models will fare better against the likes of plasma and dlp rear pros , i must admit i thought he was a bit unfare with regards to the "jagged look on contures and edges " i have nether seen this myself ,, he did say its good by lcd rear pro standerds , but thinks DPL is better, then the muppet went on to say it was a good picture for fine detail and had none of the chicken wire effect and showed hi def signals to good effect, then said it shows none of the soft focusing or colour bleed issues like crt rear pros , also he thought normal def pq was good , and the set grew on him , the sound was better than that on lcd or plasma panels ,and worth looking at if you dont like the dpl rainbow effects
so its a bit of a mixed bag , , i subscribe to this mag , its in feb 2006 issue , we get it a few weeks early , compaired to w h smiths. i must admit though i couldnt hear the fan at all in the shop , but i do notice the bugger from time to time at home i think they turned the thing off ,
picture 3.5 stars
sound 3.5 stars
features 4 stars
overall 4 stars
if anyone is waiting for a review before buying this set i would not go along with what is said in this mag , the good points , and they are many , are pretty spot on , but its a cracking picture , against anything with a upscaled hidef feed , ive seen it next to sonys "40 lcd . and pioneers 43xde plasma , with the same feeds and it easily holds its own , none of these sets have the black levels of a normal crt tv , and at the money i can live with any slight black level differances .

I'll second that, Got mine this week and have to say very impressed even with the feed from my NTL box. Cables make a big difference though, dont go cheap. Had a few people round who have plasma and LCD's and they're impressed. Ok its not going to be as good as some expensive plasmas but heh £1200 what more can you ask for. As for fan noise, well its their but i wouldnt say it hinders the viewing. Its quieter than the pc i'm next to now. Thumbs up for this TV.

I said this before but figured its important if people are reading these mags and online reviews for advice.

"The fan noise issue may be to do with where and how you've set up your TV. What type of stand your using, if you have carpet down or not, the distance to the wall from the back of the TV in terms of acoustics' in your room. Surely this would explain why some people are hearing it really loud where as others would have to go around the back of the TV to make sure it even turning.

I don't think you can simply make a sweeping statement the fan noise is too loud, you cant even really believe the review in magazines about this issue. Why? Because it is an subjective opinion. If it was done in an objective way it would make life much easier because by stating the fan noise is x dB you can then compare fan noise across all TV's and not rely on a subjective statement "The fan noise is like a jet fighter" imagine that statement in a mag, surely it would put people off."

It's also probably the case that different exqamples of this TV have slightly different noise levels.

dont know about different sets with different noise levels , they all seem noisey , if im on my own listening to the tv through its own speakers and theres a silent part i can hear the fan very well , but if im watching a program with my amp on its normal levels its never a problem , i do have very sensitive hearing though , i hear the subs humb sometimes aswell and have to turn them down a tad so it may well be me , i get regular hearing test in my job ,(RAF fighter pilot) and i am top of the scale , i would still buy this set even after haveing it since the begining of november i just think its good to know its faults aswell as its many strengths , the black levels nether take your enjoyment away , but it is noticable in older films especialy , and the dinkle who reviewed the set nagged about the bigining of alian , well thats an old film isnt it , ive nether had a prob with gothica or the matrix , i show the centinals braking through and attacking the mechs to all my mates to show off the sets hidef abilities batman begins is anouther dark film again no probs there ,so i do think he was a little unfare , i also live out in the sticks and there is no noise outside whatsoever , it is completely silent so you would hear a pin drop ,so i pickup on any slight noises ,my floors & walls are all hard and ive got a double glazed glass apex ceiling so not perfect by any standard so again its also likely the sets enviroment is partly to blame , give it a test ,i dont think it will be beaten easily for the money , hispek are doing it for £1100 now the money you save over a dearer tv you can get an amp hidef dvd player and speakers . have fun :D sounds like a blinder
p.s im not a pilot , just a little joke ....bye

My wife has very sensitive hearing and actually helped with the development of Hi Fi loudspeakers because of her hearing ability. We got the Sony just over a week ago and I NEVER told her about the fan noise and just hoped she would not notice it. Our room is very minimalist, emulsioned walls and laminated floors, but she never noticed the fan noise, until last night when we were watching the Aviator on DVD. She then said, she could hear the fan, but it did not bother her like many other noises do. I can't hear it from my seat, but I heard it from the back of the set.

So the reviewer is merely expressing his opinion. Noise Frequencies (irritations) are very peculiar to every person. I can't stand screeming kids and loud female singers like Mariah Carey, as they resonant at a frequency that irritates me. My wife cannot stand loud crashes and low frequency hums and resonances, so I was concerned about the Sony fan noise. But thankfull it does not bother her.

As a previous poster said, its ALL subjective, and that is why reviewers can cause a lot of damage to a product, because of their own personal likes and dislikes.

Barkhall said:
As a previous poster said, its ALL subjective, and that is why reviewers can cause a lot of damage to a product, because of their own personal likes and dislikes.

Well said :)

What bothers me far more than any fan noise is the high pitched squeal you get on some (cheap?) CRT sets that changes pitch according to what's being displayed on the screen.

BARKHALL
i know what you meen about miss carey , what an old stinker she is , i dont think much of her brother jims movies either , i didnt mind bruce almighty though , as for the screeming kids ive got 2 girls ,and it seems i do most of the screeming , you do get used to it after a while , a bit like the fan noise
. NAD .
my mates got the pioneer 43xde and i hear a buzz from that , its all a bit of nit picking really (ive been doing that allot with the girls lately too) and as for the black levels i was looking at a 20"toshiba lcd , just out new model but not sure which one , and i thought it was kack it was as if i was looking through a fine net curtain, my mate thought it was a great picture , its in his bedroom , it cost £350 and i wouldnt let a dog watch it , so like you say its all subjective :cool:

nad said:
Well said :)

What bothers me far more than any fan noise is the high pitched squeal you get on some (cheap?) CRT sets that changes pitch according to what's being displayed on the screen.

Great point Nad. I had an Acer 32" LCD screen but sent it back due to a few faults. When I had it the fan noise was very irritating. It wasn't any louder than the Sony but it produced a really annoying, high pitch drone which would leave you with a headache after a short period of time. A lot of the guys on this forum have actually replaced theirs with cheap alternatives that do a much better job in reducing noise.

DOG187 said:
BARKHALL
i know what you meen about miss carey , what an old stinker she is , i dont think much of her brother jims movies either , i didnt mind bruce almighty though , as for the screeming kids ive got 2 girls ,and it seems i do most of the screeming , you do get used to it after a while , a bit like the fan noise
. NAD .
my mates got the pioneer 43xde and i hear a buzz from that , its all a bit of nit picking really (ive been doing that allot with the girls lately too) and as for the black levels i was looking at a 20"toshiba lcd , just out new model but not sure which one , and i thought it was kack it was as if i was looking through a fine net curtain, my mate thought it was a great picture , its in his bedroom , it cost £350 and i wouldnt let a dog watch it , so like you say its all subjective :cool:

Great post Dog :smashin:

Although I have been following these threads for several months this is the first time I have tried to post, so please bear with me if things go wrong!

I want to buy a 50” tv. Freeview will be my platform for the next couple of years.

At present I have a very early IDTV 32inch in the living room – this is the one I wish to replace with a large one.

My computer has a Freeview card installed and the monitor is a 26” 1280x720pixel (16:9) LCD display. I had become used to the quality of the received picture. Sitting around 4ft from the screen is not too close and the picture looks very good. I argued in the lounge, sitting 9 to 10 ft from the new TV, I would therefore need a 50” display.

Over the last few months I have looked at 9 or 10 of the new Sony 3lcd IDTVs and the same number of the new Sagem IDTVs.

When displaying HDTV, from a recorded source, all these sets have produced an outstanding picture, but when displaying Freeview both makes fail to do the transmissions justice. I have dismissed the Sagem since I am concerned about rainbows.

I have also been very disappointed with the Sony sets. Each one that I have seen fails with a remarkably simple test. I ask to see Sky News! In the bottom left corner there is a red circle surrounded by thin white ring. On my computer display there is no ‘black’ between the red and white - anywhere round the circle. On all of the Sony sets the left third of the red circle was black! Each of the Salesmen tried to say that is what is broadcast and that is all you can expect! In fact in the Sony Centre at Cribbs Causeway, Bristol the Salesman insisted that the effect was due to the display system! I had already made a DVD of Sky News taken from my computer receiver, so I pulled this from my pocket and asked him if he would play it! He did using a simple Scart connection. There was the full red circle just as get on my computer!! He was speechless! I have done the same on three other Sony sets and always get a full red circle.

There must be something amiss.

AT LAST – my question could any of you out there look at Freeview Sky News on this TV and report what you see?

In my next posting I will try and include an attachment showing the full red circle that I get on my computer.

CAMARAA
if this set is near your computer than feed it from that , it has a pc input socket on the side , if the freeview box in the set is a crapper then bye a different external one , there only £50 , you can get the tv for £1100 from hispek , so a naff internal freeview decoder is no reason not to bye a cheap "50 screen

DOG187 said:
CAMARAA
if this set is near your computer than feed it from that , it has a pc input socket on the side , if the freeview box in the set is a crapper then bye a different external one , there only £50 , you can get the tv for £1100 from hispek , so a naff internal freeview decoder is no reason not to bye a cheap "50 screen
1100? is that for the 42 or 50 inch?

:clap: slado the set has gone back up , to £1250 for the "50 with stand, it was on special at £1100 but i dont think that was with the stand , sorry guys it looks like the deals gone , it was in there deals section , i was a bit gutted myself having spent £1400 , 6 weeks ago , but hay such is life , it does pop up from time to time at a good price so its worth punting around,
Ive found gultronics on price runner listing it at £1107. But i carnt find it on there own web site , they do the "42 version for around £875 so give them a bell , £1100 seems about right in comparison
tottenham crt rd shop, 0207 2400070
oxford st shop, 0207 72400070
:D

DOG187 said:
:clap: slado the set has gone back up , to £1250 for the "50 with stand, it was on special at £1100 but i dont think that was with the stand , sorry guys it looks like the deals gone , it was in there deals section , i was a bit gutted myself having spent £1400 , 6 weeks ago , but hay such is life , it does pop up from time to time at a good price so its worth punting around,
Ive found gultronics on price runner listing it at £1107. But i carnt find it on there own web site , they do the "42 version for around £875 so give them a bell , £1100 seems about right in comparison
tottenham crt rd shop, 0207 2400070
oxford st shop, 0207 72400070
:D

Sony Centres will be doing the 50" for £1199 in the sales as of 27th December.
Not sure if this is a national thing but quite a few of the London ones are included as per an ad in our local paper. Knew I shoud have waited, but hey I would have deprived myself of a few weeks viewing :D

HTH

Bal

Bal said:
Sony Centres will be doing the 50" for £1199 in the sales as of 27th December.
Not sure if this is a national thing but quite a few of the London ones are included as per an ad in our local paper. Knew I shoud have waited, but hey I would have deprived myself of a few weeks viewing :D

HTH

Bal
Is that inclusive of a 5 year guarantee?

Slado said:
Is that inclusive of a 5 year guarantee?

I know it's Xmas but unfortunately not. Allow £189 for the 5yr warranty or alternatively see if you can get John Lewis to price match although there may be a get out about not matching sale prices.

Bal

PS A very Merry Xmas to all the KDFE50ers, potential and current.... now off to stuff a bird and I don't mean "er indoors" :D

An item like that being posted on a one day listing screams out that it's a con. Probably hijacked a legitimate sellers account to make it appear ok. Notice that the poor sucker who has made a bid has no buying history. Ask yourself, 'Why would an expensive item be put on a one day listing?' These conmen always ask for payment through Wetern Union or some other method that can't be traced. You will also see some say 'Don't contact me through EBay, contact me at my personal e-mail address' Another sure sign that it's a con.

trevellion said:
An item like that being posted on a one day listing screams out that it's a con. Probably hijacked a legitimate sellers account to make it appear ok. Notice that the only poor sucker who has made a bid has no buying history.
Thats what i needed to hear, much appreciated.

Thanks.

just popped in to have a look EDIT aint you guys got anything better to do ,
I know we like our tv,s but this is extracting the urine, its xmas day for christ sake , we will all see great deals around in the sales , watch JL,s warrenty ive heard some funny things n it was on watchdog , i think its 1 claim only or something like that in the 5 years then its void , thats why its a freebee ,like they say theres no such thing as free , id stick with the sony centre if the money was simular , there warrenty seemed the best n the cheapest , and the 1 in chelmsford had its own on site sony trained engineers who come out , not any old mug with a electrical screwdriver so dont scrimp to save a tenner
HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE ,
from DOG his pups n the BITCH
p.s looks like there dodgy set on ebay has been pulled

No swearing, please, even if deliberately misspelt.

Slado said:
Thats what i needed to hear, much appreciated.

Thanks.

SLADO, for today only you can order it online from Dixons for £1097. If you want the extended warranty get it from Domestic & General but allow around £250. Mine cost £189 via the Sony Centre but I think is an exclusive price but you never know.

Get that flexible friend out - you know you want to :D

Bal

PS DOG187, trying to do as little as possible while the excesses of a Chrimbo dinner digest.

Bal said:
SLADO, for today only you can order it online from Dixons for £1097. If you want the extended warranty get it from Domestic & General but allow around £250. Mine cost £189 via the Sony Centre but I think is an exclusive price but you never know.

Get that flexible friend out - you know you want to :D

Bal

PS DOG187, trying to do as little as possible while the excesses of a Chrimbo dinner digest.
May as well buy it from the sony centre. 189 isn't much really for 5 years guarantee.

Have a good christmas/new year everyone.

laters.

personally, i wouldnt bother. this tv is bound to be rubbish, obvo. plus, that size is just not nessers. If i were you, id go for a banged up old daewoo 2*" job. nice, big curved screen, dodgy scart system, knackered old stereo speakers. plus, babes love it. I can put you in touch with a guy wholl sell you on for much less than this sony jobbo, probably abou 750. Bargain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom