Disgaea: Absence of Justice - Play & Help Thread

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find a thread anywhere covering Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice, so I thought I'd start one (mods, I promise I did use the "search function" first!).

This is for Play & Help, but also because I have never played a Disgaea game, and was wondering whether this is accessible to a newbie like me? I don't want to shell out for a game I won't understand. That said, I'm quite a quick study when it comes to games.

With that in mind, how does it play? What quirks and tips does anyone have? Is it ok as a stand-alone entry to the series?

Not played it myself but I have read a review. Apparently it's a VERY STAT HEAVY Turn based RPG with PS2 graphics.

Yeah, and neither of those things put me off particularly! In fact, when it comes to turn-based RPGs, the more stats, combinations, options, subtlety and so on, the better, IMO. :smashin: Games TM's review caught my eye, and it reminded me of some of the more old school RPGs back on the SNES or whatever.

My only concern is that there are many games - such as this - aimed squarely at a Japanese audience, and that I may find it utterly impenetrable. The stat-heavy style appeals, and the graphics are cutesy and retro. :cool:

If you like Strategic roleplaying games Disgaea 3 is among the best.

I wrote a mini review of it at another forum, ill repost it here for anyone interested....

Disgaea 3, is not a traditional RPG. Its a strategic role playing game (SRPG) similar to Valkyria chronicles, but with much more deept, and longterm value. Its proberly the best longterm value game on PS3 there are 100's of hours of gameplay in it.

The actualy game play is like this more or less..

Instead of walking through diferent landscapes, like in traditional RPG's. You start at some kind of base, where you can buy things for your charecters, like armor, weapons, consumables, you can also learn new skills and make new charecters here. You can have upto 64 diferent charecters, wich you can level upto level 9999. You can even reincarnate your charecters back to level 1, but then they will start with higher base stats. You can also level up your items in the item world. There is so much to do, that it can seem a litle overwelming at the start. Once you are done equping your charecters you select to go into battle mode.

Battle mode is played in small maps. The combat is turnbased, you move your charecters ( upto 10 in each map ) give them orders and execute them, then it is the enemy turn. The battles have some sort of puzzle game element too them also, as there are some coloured blocks and panels, wich adds all kinds of effect to the charecters that stand on them. f.x a green panel can give the charecter + 50 def. or a red may give the charecter a negative effect. There are many diferent effects and coloured blocks, and a big part of the game is to figure out how to best solve the map. Its a little dificult to describe, but it works out really good.

Once you beat the map, you return to the main base area, where you can spend earned money, and mana to upgrade your charecters, or maybe make new ones if you unlocked a new class. ( there are a lot of diferent clasess in the game ) and all that kinda things, and then once you are ready, you goto the next battle map.

You can complete the main story in about 30-40 hours, but after the main story there is till a lot to do. Someone could argue the game first really begins after completing it. If you wanna make a really strong group of charecters, and get some of the best euqipment aviable there are still a lot to do. You could play the game for several 100 of hours and still have stuff to do if you really wanna make a perfect team.

Also there is lots of DLC stuff coming, Japan has a new classroom making you able to have upto 128 charecters, and a whole lot of diferent charecters and stuff as DLC, wich will hopefully make its way to EU someday also.

The graphics are not very good. They do their job, and looks ok, but they are more like PS2 graphics. anyway once you start getting sucked into the actualy gameplay you soon forget about the graphics.

All in all its a must have for fans of SRPG genre. Mind you its not a game you sit down and play for 10 minutes, and understand it all. However its pretty easy to get into because of the tutorials, but the game has a lot of deepts. So if you are the kinda person who prefers some fast paced action, this is not a game for you. However if you like to build up your charecters and find better euqipment and that sorta things, this is proberly the best game in the genre.

Is anyone playing this. Got it about a month ago and am totally addicted to it.
Only up to the 6th chapter been mostly spending time in item world. If you like strategy rpg's buy this.

Im still playing it, although recently i had a break. Because i platinium'd Fifa 09.

Also the Japanse Version now has trophies. Hopefully we should see the trophies coming to US / EU version soon.

I would recomend buying the US version for anyone interested. Because it has the most recent patch V 2.1, and seems to be cathing up on the DLC. The EU version is as far as i know still V.1 and no DLC yet.

I'm going to order this for sure tomorrow, I started playing Disgaea on the DS yesterday and I am totally hooked. Finished a 5 hour straight gameplay session about 10 minutes ago.

Its great I love it, I find myself doing multiple re-runs of the same map also to grind for levels and money to spend on weapons and the like.

Looking forward to playing this on the PS3 also :thumbsup:

I'm going to order this for sure tomorrow, I started playing Disgaea on the DS yesterday and I am totally hooked. Finished a 5 hour straight gameplay session about 10 minutes ago.

Its great I love it, I find myself doing multiple re-runs of the same map also to grind for levels and money to spend on weapons and the like.

Looking forward to playing this on the PS3 also :thumbsup:

Yes its a great game. And its sells for a bargain many places.

Although id still recomend importing from US, it may be a litle more expensive, but US version is now upto V 2,20 with new detention room ( Making it posibel to have twice as many charecters ) Also there is tons of DLC for THE US version with more coming every week or two. Hopefully the trophie patch should come soon too.

EU version is still vanilla v 1.0 with no DLC or confirmation of trophie patch. Personally i seriously doubt it going to happend for EU users, but only time can tell.

I bought mine here.

Welcome to Video Games Plus Online

But also before you buy import version, you should know that you must have a US PSN account to be able to buy and download DLC from their store. Also you need to have some way of paing for it, by eather using PSN cards, or visa. Its easy enoiugh though.

Also there is a pretty active Disgaea forum over at gamespot.

GameSpot Forums - Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice

Finally completed the main quest this morning. Now have to level my characters up for the extra maps:rolleyes::clap:. Does anyone know when we will be getting the trophy update for the uk version along with the dlc?

Still loving it - only got 98** levels to go:rolleyes::eek:

Doesn't seem to be any information anywhere about when we (or the US) are getting the update. I keep checking everywhere but all I get is 'it shouldn't be too long'.
I was putting off starting this game just in case I would need to start again if trophies were patched in, but from what I read of the Japanese release starting again after the patch is not necessary and if our trophies are the same as theirs then there are none that are technically missable :)
Shame I've bought/ended up in the middle of too many other games now to take advantage of that! :suicide:

Yes in the japanse version, you dont have to restart to get trophies. You can conteniue with your old save and unlock them when you meet the requirement. None of them involves anything from the main story. and most are not posibel to do without some pretty well equiped charecters.

As for the patch it self. There have been some email responses from NIS america that they are looking into ways om implemeting the trophies to the US version, but there is no concrete dates.

I havent heard anything about the EU release. but i kinda doubt it will ever happend. EU dont even have any of the previous patches, or DLC. and to make the patch for EU version they might have to make several diferent ones, for all the diferent languages it is released on.

I heard somewhere the US/UK versions may well not be getting a trophy update at all. This would upset me greatly.
Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom