skate 2 - Play & Help Thread

Nuggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody playing yet? Opinions?
Wasn't overly impressed to see you can buy all the unlockables before the game is even officially released but each to their own I guess...

Just got this today. So far loving it. Everything that was great about Skate is in the second game plus more. I do not however like off the board movements or the fact that EA Black Box were too lazy to actually create a new city.

I will be looking to get this today or over weekend, really enjoyed the demo, was the first skateboard game ive played since Tony Hawks 2 on the PS1!!

Pegi mate..i hope i can join you in 'San Van' so you can show me the ropes!!

Is there a online co-op - free roam skate around type mode?

Will more than likely be a few weeks before I pick this up (Barring any good deals)

How is the city for those who have it? how similar to the 1st game? any new areas/skateparks? and is the 'create-a-skater' more robust then the demo?

Anyone had any luck importing their own deck designs into the game?

and is the online side as seamless as EA hoped?

A few massive annoyances with game so far:

1. On some challenges it gives you minimal room to get lined up for the trick and not enough room to get a decent amount of speed up.
  2. On the challenges where you are facing off against 3 other opponents in small bowls every run at a trick is ruined by bumping into the opponents. They don't need to be there. The comp could just give them a score.
  3. I've noticed some slowdown and even worse a couple of huge glitches where you just pop into the screen.
  4. The soundtrack is pants. Usually these kind of games have cracking soundtracks but this is cack.
First impressions, not worth the 91% PSM3 mag gave thats for sure.

I agree with some of the points above!

The movement off the board is shocking, not responsive at all, really really sluggish. Not impressed at all with that bit.

The game as a whole is pretty good, although so far it seems to be Skate 1.5 rather than 2. The city generally feels the same, with some bits i recognise from the first game.

And I find quite a bit of slowdown, and very random glitches, like the player will have some sort of spike sticking out from somewhere off his body, very off-putting.

So far unfortunately for me I'd give it a 6/10.

Ash

Well I'm really glad I only rented this one. As others have said, the off board movement is terrible, I keep bumping into things when I want to turn around.

I found the camera angle very annoying at times, as you have to reverse your controls, when your skater turns and comes back towards you, caused me all sorts of problems trying to do some tricks (especially in the A B C section of Own the Spot)

Not really managed any of the Own the spot challenges, I just seem to hit something, or someone and fall off my board. Random people just suddenly appearing, either that or because of where the camera is, I don't see them until I've been ****ted by them.

I never played Skate 1, however I enjoyed the Tony Hawks games, hence why I tried this one. Haven't been online, as it wants an account created for EA, do I have to do this with all the EA games? Why can't it just use my PSN details, surely thats the whole point of it.

Anyway, after 2 - 3 hours of playing, all I have now is a headache :thumbsdow

A few massive annoyances with game so far:

1. On some challenges it gives you minimal room to get lined up for the trick and not enough room to get a decent amount of speed up.
  2. On the challenges where you are facing off against 3 other opponents in small bowls every run at a trick is ruined by bumping into the opponents. They don't need to be there. The comp could just give them a score.
  3. I've noticed some slowdown and even worse a couple of huge glitches where you just pop into the screen.
  4. The soundtrack is pants. Usually these kind of games have cracking soundtracks but this is cack.
First impressions, not worth the 91% PSM3 mag gave thats for sure.

To add to the above:

1. The career mode is very stop-start.
  2. It's too difficult to land certain tricks such as grinds, as you have to be sooooo precise.
  3. A lot of the challenges in career mode are too :censored: difficult, with the downhill racers the only ones I would say I was any good at.
  4. Strangely there is more traffic in the out of city downhill runs than the inner city ones.
  5. When you crash into a car it resets you right in front of the car losing you even more time than the initial crash.
  6. On the downhill runs when you crouch for speed your character fills up to much of your view so you can't easily see cars in front of you, a little transparency would have been nice.
  7. The people standing around the edge of the events get in the way and ruin your runs.

I could go on with a long list of gripes, and if I was to play this again i'm sure I would find a lot more. I do not like this game.

I know the recent Tony Hawk games haven't been great and have been "Marger-ed", but after playing Skate 2 it has left me longing for something from the TH3-4 era.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best thing about this game I have found so far is the online Hall of Meat challenges, where you face off against other players to get the best injury score from crashing. Seeing as you spend 95% of the time on this game crashing anyway, this mode comes into itself!!!

Nope, only skate games ive ever played are TH and 720 :)

Ah that makes me feel better! I'm looking forward to some new terrain to skate, as long as they haven't messed with the core mechanic of the game than Im happy :thumbsup:

Although the glitches are an obvious concern, more so with the collapse of black box, a patch seems unlikely.

To add to the above:

1. The career mode is very stop-start.
  2. It's too difficult to land certain tricks such as grinds, as you have to be sooooo precise.
  3. A lot of the challenges in career mode are too :censored: difficult, with the downhill racers the only ones I would say I was any good at.
  4. Strangely there is more traffic in the out of city downhill runs than the inner city ones.
  5. When you crash into a car it resets you right in front of the car losing you even more time than the initial crash.
  6. On the downhill runs when you crouch for speed your character fills up to much of your view so you can't easily see cars in front of you, a little transparency would have been nice.
  7. The people standing around the edge of the events get in the way and ruin your runs.

I could go on with a long list of gripes, and if I was to play this again i'm sure I would find a lot more. I do not like this game.

I know the recent Tony Hawk games haven't been great and have been "Marger-ed", but after playing Skate 2 it has left me longing for something from the TH3-4 era.

I also found with the cars, that no matter how softly you hit one (even a parked one), you were knocked to the floor. If I walk into a parked car, I don't instantly collapse to the floor all buckled over backwards :thumbsdow

Its going back to Boomerang tomorrow

This is, so far, my favourite game for the PS3!

I know its not perfect - off the board isn't great but its only for moving objects and getting up stairs - it is after all a skating game.

Controlling the skater and board accurately is what its all about - landing the board or trucks hwo you want for different types of grinds etc. Its really satisfying when you get it right! This is definately a skating simulator as opposed to the TH arcade style skating.

Theres so much to do, so many possibilities for different lines and online is so easy to access (on the original Skate I never got it to work). Also compared to the original its so smooth. OK a little slowdown here and there but nothing like the stuttery original.

For the person who said theres not enough run in, just move back a bit before starting to get an extra push in (and put a marker down).

I not too bothered about off board movements. After all this is a skate game, so just SKATE! and stop moaning.

On another note, the trophies are soo unbeleivably easy. I'v already done 35% in 3 days. Most of the trophies left are online which I havn't got round to yet.

I've kind of helped myself a little bit by changing the camera angle. Thing is I loved the first one and never changed the angle, just this one I had to.

I agree with Bubs on the cars things, jesus that is so annoying!

Ash

Im still only playing the demo as im waiting on peoples opinions of the game. All im really interested in is if they've sorted the FPS/Lag issue that plagued Skate 1 on the PS3, if they've done that i'll be happy.

Still wont be buying it yet though, will wait for a price drop, or for Wamphyri to sell me his cheap because he apparently hates it.

After he's got the platinum on it, obviously. :p

I've kind of helped myself a little bit by changing the camera angle. Thing is I loved the first one and never changed the angle, just this one I had to.

As above, im still on demo, but i didnt realise you could change the camera angle for actual gameplay, i though it was replay editor only? Care to explain how to do this?

Last edited:
Just in Pause > Game settings > Video Settings.. Then camera angle Low or High. Not sure if you can do it in the demo or not.

Does help slightly!

Ash

The high camera angle is fantastic on races. So much easier. Also, grind cam is very useful. What it does is swing the camera to the side a bit so you can see the rail eaiser.

Im still only playing the demo as im waiting on peoples opinions of the game. All im really interested in is if they've sorted the FPS/Lag issue that plagued Skate 1 on the PS3, if they've done that i'll be happy.

its way better than the original for fps!

Loving this, loved Skate, this is just so much better.

Feel like im getting through it quite quickly though!

Just started doing all the Pro challenges.

Done most of the Hall of Meat in game challenges, only about 10 more to do. It seems so fun really hurting yourself. Breaking 19 bones was a bit of an arse though :eek:

The game I still feel is glitchy and jumpy. It keeps freezing on me, especially in replays. And I also keep getting some 'spike' sticking out of my skater, usually when Ive changed the clothes/ accesories. Usually around the lower torso area, sometimes somewhere a bit moire inappropriate.. :rotfl:

Ash

Just finshed the main story today (still a few extra challenges to do). The way it ends, Black Box are definately going to do a third. Spoilers:

After finishing the team sponsor challenges on your phone you will unlock 2 skateparks (one you pay for and one free one). You then go back to Slappy's park where he hands over the keys to the park because of an unknown lovechild he has to visit in Brazil. He walks away, talking under his breath "should I tell them about that thing..." THE END!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom