Dark Void: Play & Help Thread

G a f f e r

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Completed this within 1 day (the only game shorter in recent memory was COD:MW2).

Here are my thoughts:

Story: Don't care usually, but this was OK for a sci-fi shooter. The annoying thing was the cut scenes. Characters get introduced for no apparent reason (Tesla - does nothing much, says nothing much, dies after having no impact to anything/anyone), and they have a habit of jumping between scenes with little or no explanation. In short, what is an OK story ends up being a mishmash because of the way the game presents it.
The voice acting is also particularly :censored: and you end up having no empathy with the characters (I couldn't care less whether the bint died at the end or not).

Graphics: Meh. Same as the first Resistance imo. Certainly no where NEAR Killzone 2 levels. In fact, some are pretty poor for what we should be getting now (looks like it wasn't dev'd on the PS3).

Glitches: Jeez this has a LOAD of glitches. I'm really surprised it made it past testing to be honest. Here are two examples of SERIOUS glitches that make the game unplayable:
1 I'm aerial dogfighting. I press O near an enemy in an effort to hijack them.... but instead of doing this, I ended up flying around automatically (like auto-pilot) on it's six with no button presses registering and no way to end or die.
This meant I had been caught in an animation (flying behind a hubcap) with no way to either stop/stop flying/die/reset to the last checkpoint etc etc.
The best FPS analogy would be, imagine getting stuck in a part of the map which you can't destroy/run through/jump out of etc etc.
So here I am, an onlooker, and I had to resort to pressing the PS button to quit the game (and restart from the last checkpoint) :mad:.
2 I respawn but the screen is black apart from the radar. Yes. To-ta-ly black. What an awesome game :facepalm:. At least in this I could still die though (but I couldn't see anything, so just turbo'd till I hit something and died). I'm still baffled as to how this game made it past testing stages :mad:.

The Update: Insert game and go through the tedious PS3 notion of "playing" that involves downloading updates, installing updates, restarting game etc etc. So I'm already in a bad mood before I've started. To top it off, THIS update doesn't even do that properly. Instead I get 3 beeps and the PS3 switches off :eek:. Alarmed, I turn it on and breath a sigh of relief when it does. Navigate back to the game. Try again - "install v1.01 please" - PS3 swicthes off.
So now I just play without selecting the update - everything works. After an hour I turn game off, restart the game and this time it installed the update.
I then search around and find others on the internet with this issue....again, HOW did this game get past testing? Was it coded by the D-team?

The length: Yes, it does matter ;). Certainly not as bad as COD:MW2, but took me under a day. A SINGLE day :facepalm:. Yould've thought the lack of multiplayer would mean a longer single player campaign, but OH No!, nothing that good for our Capcom game here, you get a short single player game only (MP would've been fun with the ability to take off imo)

The aiming: I kid you not, but it isn't precise. How many times did I get pinpoint on head but hit the chest and vice versa? No, it's not my eyesight, but the aiming is enough pixels off to make you forget about COD/BC/KZ2 entirely. This was more at distance, closer it's (obviously) fine....doesn't make the game unplayable but does make you adjust your playing style to the detriment.

The Music: Fantastic :thumbsup:. I thought it sounded a bit like the new BSG - then I read that it had the same composer. At last - a highlight of the game :D

The Flying: Great. Think of Iron Man and Rocketeer. Good stuff.

The vertical cover system: Really good fun. Adds a whole new dimension to tactics and you really do feel like you have full 360deg fredom vertically. The enemy AI can crawl around you in all directions (although this rarely happened) and popping out to shoot is good fun. Me Likey :thumbsup:.

The difficulty: Normally I leave things on "normal", but this was too easy on normal imho.

Health Regen: Am I the ONLY one who hates this universally creeping into our games? I used to love the Doom series and the whole point of health packs was they regen'd health but also added a degree of skill and tactics to the game. Do I go left and get the health or right and get the BFG? If I fight my way through this room, I may not die if I make a beeline for the health pack at the end. Do I have enough health to make the level or should I stock up now? I'm on 75%, do I get the 100% pack now (wasting the rest) or wait till I'm nearly dead?......oh, and I don't care how lazy you are but Quad Power and Invulnerability were Kick Arse :cool:.
Yes, it's becoming pretty universal now, but it's also part of this game, so I thought I'd mention it.

Would I buy Dark Void 2: No. I wouldn't have bought this save for the fact it cost me a tenner with a trade in.

My overall rating: Seeing as I gave COD:MW2 a 6, this also gets a 6/10. It wasn't as "serious" but it was more fun and it was certainly more memorable than MW2 (which seemed like a poor DLC add-on for 1 rather than a game in it's own right). I know they're different games but they're both recent ones I've played so I can compare them from memory. I would rate Resistence 2 higher than both (about 7/10 for that). Dark Void's story is OK and the despite the short length, it has it's good points too. The vertical cover and aerial fighting system gives you a great sense of freedom so it's at least worth a rent imho :).

I'm off to trade mine in (might get a bit more from HMV as they're selling it for £40 in store).

The demo was enough to put me off (I'm sure my PS3 spent more time downloading it than I did playing it). Definitely not buying this.

The demo was enough to put me off (I'm sure my PS3 spent more time downloading it than I did playing it). Definitely not buying this.

Same here, after spending around 20 minutes trying to blow the damn saucer things out of the air while flying around aimlesly it was deleted straight away.

You know its a stinker when all the high street shops put the price down to £30-£35 on release day! (Even Game!!)

To the Op, excellent review, but the 5 mins i spent with the demo was enough for me to leave it in the dark void (sorry).
Did you not play the demo first? ;)

To the Op, excellent review, but the 5 mins i spent with the demo was enough for me to leave it in the dark void (sorry).
:rotfl: +1

When i first heard of it I thought it looked promising, but after 5 mins the controls got on my nerves so i turned it off.

I was hoping this would be good as it had heaps of potential.What on earth are capcom doing these days? :thumbsdow

Nearly bought this yesterday. Tescos had it for £12.70, and I was sorely tempted, but my guardian angel chided me for such thoughts. After reading this lot I'm really glad I listened :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom