Dragons Age: Origins - Play & Help

Tokoloshe Man

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As title really, wondered if anyone had picked this up and if so, what's it like.

As title really, wondered if anyone had picked this up and if so, what's it like.

Not played it myself although some sort of slow burning single player game really appeals at the moment. Playstation Nation podcast and Playstation Beyond podcast both had quite a lot of chat dedicated to DA:O and are worth a listen if your interested. Everyone seemed to be really impressed with it.

I;m also waiting for feedback. See loads of info/feedback on the PC version but was hoping for user comments on the PS3 version. Is there no overhead view on the PS3 version ?

Had my copy delivered on Thursday. I'll be starting my playthrough today so will post impressions later on today.

. Is there no overhead view on the PS3 version ?

Unfortunately there is no overhead view on the PS3 or 360 version.

Had my copy delivered on Thursday. I'll be starting my playthrough today so will post impressions later on today.

Unfortunately there is no overhead view on the PS3 or 360 version.

Look forward to your feedback. What I'm after is similar gameplay/story to the Baldur's Gate I & II where you pause during combat issuing exact comands to each character, not some auto-fighting, but more tactical.

Also, are graphics up to scratch (I know it won't be high end PC standard) but needs to be decent texture details, fps & minimal pop-up.

Really can't understand why they've dropped the overhead view on the 360/PS3 :nono:

According to PSM3 mag this month it's not very nice at all.

Graphics jerky, poor textures, very awkward controls and possibly the worst voice acting in a game for years. The only saving grace they said was that the combat is very satisfying.

That's just their opinion though of course...

According to PSM3 mag this month it's not very nice at all.

Graphics jerky, poor textures, very awkward controls and possibly the worst voice acting in a game for years. The only saving grace they said was that the combat is very satisfying.

That's just their opinion though of course...

Yeah I got that mag too, think they gave it around 65%. But then my X360 mag gave it 9/10 and rave about it so... :rolleyes: Got it for the 360 anyway, just waiting for my my xbox to get back to me so can get started on it

Look forward to your feedback. What I'm after is similar gameplay/story to the Baldur's Gate I & II where you pause during combat issuing exact comands to each character, not some auto-fighting, but more tactical.

Also, are graphics up to scratch (I know it won't be high end PC standard) but needs to be decent texture details, fps & minimal pop-up.

Really can't understand why they've dropped the overhead view on the 360/PS3 :nono:

Dragon Age can be played as tactically as in BGI/II, but to be honest it doesnt really work that well on the console - I found the controls and UI for pausing and issuing commands too awkward. On consoles the game plays more like an action adventure, where you rely more on the tactics and your own player character. If you want that old style BG feel with pausing and using the isometric view to tactically plan battles then it has to be played on pc. ;)

Well I've spent a lot of time on this over the weekend.

The initial impressions aren't great, say like they are with Fallout, but then Fallout for me is tehtype of game that comes along very rarely.

Graphically you do get used to the rather sparse texturing, the low draw distances and chunky models - I feel it's a artwork concept, rather than just poor graphic. Blood spatter works well, though would be better if it also covered world objects like the floor. Fire, magical effects and explosions look ok.

In terms of the game play, the story is engaging, though predictable in parts. You find yourself making choices that effect not only outcomes, but party memebers perception of you. Some of it is pretty dark stuff, I like that in a game.

Where the game shines is the combat. You can just play this game as a hack and slash gore fest for only so long. Eventually you start to come across situations that need some thinking, slowly and occaisionally at first, but as of Sunday night i'd reached a stage where fights were against multiple superior enemys. This is where you really kick the game into gear, by using the different abilities of your group to overcome. For example you can set the mindset of each party member, what they do and how they react as events unfold, but you an also pause the action and micromanage each spell, sword swing and other combat related action.

I've enjoyed this game so far. (Posting from my hpone, so excuse the lack of depth)

Decided to get the PS3 version as I really don't fancy sitting at my PC desk for 100hrs+ like I did in the BGI/II days.

Plus I stay away a lot with work & can't afford to spend silly money on a Gaming laptop but do pack my PS3 slim when I go for some gaming in the Hotels :smashin:

Last edited:
I've already got Fallout III and Oblivion and still play both of them!!

I don't think that I could really justify purchasing another such large game!!:facepalm:

Don't think I'd be doing much if I did get it!

What does anyone else think?

Can I juggle all three at once? Or would it be taking on too much? :lesson:

I've already got Fallout III and Oblivion and still play both of them!!

I don't think that I could really justify purchasing another such large game!!:facepalm:

Don't think I'd be doing much if I did get it!

What does anyone else think?

Can I juggle all three at once? Or would it be taking on too much? :lesson:

Personally I'd wait, then you can get it cheaper later on. I've also done Oblivion & Fallout (but not together). Only really played Fallout for last 6 months & never even started my Kill Zone2 Resistance2 yet :eek: Hoping to finish Uncharted 2 before my Dragon Age arrives this week!

I gotta say, that being forced to play this game in 3rd person really does it an injustice. It really needs the top down view for it to be what it is supposed to be.

Personally I'd wait, then you can get it cheaper later on. I've also done Oblivion & Fallout (but not together). Only really played Fallout for last 6 months & never even started my Kill Zone2 Resistance2 yet :eek: Hoping to finish Uncharted 2 before my Dragon Age arrives this week!

That is a killer load of gaming to get through!!

I read that special armour collected on this game can be used in Mass Effect 2 hen it comes out since it is the same developers. Or that's what it said on the Mass Effect web site.

Still, this looks like a good game my sister is ranting and raving about it non stop.

OP. Just notices your name hehe Tokoloshe lol is your bed on bricks?

Okay having spent 12+ hours (8 of those hours played yesterday) playing this over the weekend I can easily say that this is one of my contenders for game of the year.

As people have already mentioned the graphics are nothing special, frame rate can be a bit iffy at times and some of the textures are quite low res, but they do the job.

I'm probably quite lucky in away as I've never played this type of game on a PC so not having a top down view doesn't really bother me, but I can see why people would prefer to have one.

Now where this game shines for me is the gameplay and the story. Once I managed to get to grips with the UI and issuing commands combat became a joy. I feel the tactics add a good level of depth to combat and issuing commands to other party members is quite simple once you get used to the UI.

I'm really enjoying the story so far (12% complete). It has that "I'll just play for 15 more minutes but 15 minutes turns in to 2 hours" addictiveness to it.

Pleased to bits that I picked this game up. Can't see me having much time to spare playing this and Demon's Souls in a couple of weeks.

Hope this helps anybody that is still undecided about this game. Also sorry to psikey for not posting my impressions sooner, hope you enjoy the game:hiya:

Have to say I'm really enjoying it too. Held off getting a PS3 for aaaaagges! Finally got one a week ago, and picked up Fallout 3 which I started. Then got Dragon Age on Friday, and Fallout hasn't had a look-in since.
Might be that I love this style of game, but as others have said the combat is superb. It's one of those set-ups that suit different levels of play styles. If you're not into micromanaging you can just set your party members general battle styles, and some generic actions are pre-set based on certain battle conditions. So you have some level of control over what will happen without having to worry too much during a fight. However, if you're more into the intricate tactics you can issue command by command to each party member. Great fun, and I have to say I love the voice acting. Supposedly 140+ voice actors used - some VERY recognisable. Claudia Black from Farscape gets my attention!

Is she a bit hard up for money or something? This AND Uncharted 2?

God she has a nice voice though :) Thanks for the reviews, this is a purchase for me over the weekend...

has anyone got this and demons souls?

i know they're different etc etc, but i still havent got around to getting either and i don't have time for both so i want to know which one has the edge.

i like both styles of play but if you had both games, which would you keep going back to?

metacritic had them level on review scores at one point so that wasn't very helpful either!

Playing it & liking it. I'm actually doing all the opening chapters first with each character, partly to get used to controls & before deciding who I take through the main quest. Done the Elven Mage, Human Warrior & currently an Elven City Rogue.

Graphics are dissapointing compared to the likes of Oblivion & Fallout3 but are perfectly adequate for this type of game. You just feel it should be much better especially after seeing whats possible in the likes of Uncharted 2 :eek:

Glad I bought it though. Did everyone get the free codes (armour & Stone Prisoner). Already bought the Watchers keep for the storage capability.

Last edited:
has anyone got this and demons souls?

i know they're different etc etc, but i still havent got around to getting either and i don't have time for both so i want to know which one has the edge.

i like both styles of play but if you had both games, which would you keep going back to?

metacritic had them level on review scores at one point so that wasn't very helpful either!

Search is a wonderful tool :p

http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3-games/1113232-dragon-age-origins-demons-souls.html

Personally, I prefer Demon Souls. Dragon Age is great as well, however, Demon Souls for me was fairly unique. Dragon Age is more like a polished RPG, however, there is pretty much nothing original about it whatsoever.

If I had a choice of one, I would go for Demon Souls (most probably my GOTY).

Search is a wonderful tool :p

yep, i know about that ;)

it was still quite difficult to get definate opinions in that thread because most people didn't have both games.

i wanted to know if opinions had changed since then, but thanks for your comments, i've been leaning towards demons souls since it came out

Can't believe this game isn't getting more feedback!

Been playing it for at least 40+ hrs now and it gets better all the time. The story & characters are great. My characters are around level 12 now and really glad I picked a Elven Dalish Rogue who is now a Dualist (she looks hot too!). Great character with trap detction and lock picking skills plus the ability to go in stealthy while others wait to find the main Enemy Mage the backstab especially with blood magic talent gets me through many battles easily.

Enjoying this more than Fallout because the story is so great.

Last edited:
Hi,
I got this recently but not had a chance to play it much.

Since I only get the opportunituy to hook my PS3 up to the net on the odd occassion and I got a chance this week to redeemed the codes I had with this game.
The codes went it but nothing has been released and the codes are showing used (no longer valid).

The download page shows empty after connecting to EA servers (EA games download outside of PSN).
I took a look at the EA message boards and the whole DLC thing is messed up for some people regardless of format.

Has anyone else here suffered/suffering from this?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom