increase boarders size

stubbornfella

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi

could anyone help ? i've just installed a grandview electric screen with a 80" viewable area. my projector will only produce a 76" picture so i want to increase my black boarders. could anyone give me any advice how to do this. do i use paint or can i use tape ? the screen will have to be retracted so which ever solution i use it will have to be able not to interfear with the raising and lowering of the screen

:lease::lease:

You could maybe use some self adhesive velcro on the screen case and then make up some narrow black velvet strips that will hang down each side of the screen. I presume that it doesn't fill the screen heightwise either, so maybe you'll need a wide piece like a letter 'n' to cover the top and two sides?

hi

I thought of a similar idea but I want a permanent solution and I'm not sure if the screen could be retracted and lowered without it jamming so I would have to remove them each time I wanted to use it. I've seen av threads with people painting the screens with vinyl paint or tape being used also. I would prefer using tape as my screen is installed into my ceiling. Is there anyone out there who has used a tape method on a retractable screen? Has the tape peeled away and if not what product have they used.

:lease::lease::lease:

hi
I would prefer using tape as my screen is installed into my ceiling. Is there anyone out there who has used a tape method on a retractable screen? Has the tape peeled away and if not what product have they used.

The tape, unless super adhesive (industrial strength) will probably peel as the nature of the surface rolling up sometimes drags the rear surface against the front causing friction which can unpeal the tape.

Unless digitally printed, most screen borders are made using a type of hot resin.
I have heard a few people use rubber based or flexible/acrylic type industrial paints as borders but something I have no direct experience with.

Have a look here on AVForums for other people's masking idea's. I'm sure you will find something to suit your requirements there.

hi

I thought of a similar idea but I want a permanent solution and I'm not sure if the screen could be retracted and lowered without it jamming so I would have to remove them each time I wanted to use it. I've seen av threads with people painting the screens with vinyl paint or tape being used also. I would prefer using tape as my screen is installed into my ceiling. Is there anyone out there who has used a tape method on a retractable screen? Has the tape peeled away and if not what product have they used.

Yes mate - I've done it twice recently.

Both times on electric screens and both times with 100% success.

I used Gooflok from British Felt: :: Welcome to British Felt ::

It's not on their website, so you need to ring up and ask for it by name. They manufacture it for Goo Systems.

It's a black flock material with superb light absorbancy and is designed specifically for masking purposes and makes most electric screens' masking look dark grey by comparison!

It has a very agressive adhesive (so great care needs to be taken in application), doesn't interfere with the mechanics of the screen and doesn't come unglued or curl at the edges. Bloody marvelous stuff!

Mark

Here are a couple of before and after pic's to show how well the goo flock has worked.. I’ve had no problems with the tape. As you mentioned the adhesive is extremely aggressive so no chance of it peeling. Thanks markswift 2003 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMAGE_159.jpg
    IMAGE_159.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 160
  • IMAGE_162.jpg
    IMAGE_162.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Fan-bloody-tastic!!!!

I'm so made up that worked out!! And thanks for the pics - they always paint a thousand words!

I'd been looking for something like that Goo-flok for a couple of years now and it was only by chance that Nick from British-Felt put a post up (which was quickly taken down by Mods for "advertising") and I caught it.

So all credit to Nick!!

You just have to resist the urge to flok other random items around the house - it's such a great product :clap:

Mark

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom