Zune HD

Synchro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coming to a store.....soon.

Can't chuffin wait, my current Zune (30GB, which I've had for 2 years) is still going strong though....

Is this the Zune HD?

I just hope that they can try get this to market at the right price with enough features, possibly an OLED screen and good quality earphones so it can compete with the Touch and Sony's new X Series.

However, they ought to release it in Europe sooner rather than later because Sony's new X Series is an incredibly tempting proposition for many people.

I do not expect this to have a HD screen mind, but then again, surely 720p on such a small screen would not look fantastic? As there would be ALOT of pixels crammed into such a small space. I'm not too sure on that actually, maybe someone else can define what a high resolution screen for such a small device is?

Personally I'd be interested in buying it if it has:
Touchscreen
HD Output (possibly via HDMI)
Lossless support (FLAC etc...)
A high resolution screen
A good User Interface
Great sound quality
A good pair of bundled headphones / earphones
Equalizer
Wifi
Bluetooth
Web Browser
Ability to download songs through the web browser
Wireless synching
Ability to send and receive files between two devices and with no time limit etc..
AND, if its possible, Windows Live Messenger and access to other Windows Live applications.

Oh and some other things which I don't know of yet :thumbsup:

Just get the details out before the Sony X Series is released and / if theres a new iPod Touch.

HD doesn't mean it will have a Hi Def resolution, just look at the HTC phone models with HD in their name.

No, thats what i was trying to say, but often when they put 'HD' on a small device it does have a rather high resolution for the size of screen so in a way it is 'HD' although it should be advertised as 'high resolution' which is what 'HD' means does it not?

I just hope that they can try get this to market at the right price with enough features, possibly an OLED screen and good quality earphones so it can compete with the Touch and Sony's new X Series.

However, they ought to release it in Europe sooner rather than later because Sony's new X Series is an incredibly tempting proposition for many people.

I do not expect this to have a HD screen mind, but then again, surely 720p on such a small screen would not look fantastic? As there would be ALOT of pixels crammed into such a small space. I'm not too sure on that actually, maybe someone else can define what a high resolution screen for such a small device is?

Personally I'd be interested in buying it if it has:
Touchscreen <=== For sure
HD Output (possibly via HDMI) <=== No way, as uncompressed file size would be too large and HDMI socket on portable device unlikley.
Lossless support (FLAC etc...) <=== Nope, WMA lossless only
A high resolution screen <=== For sure
A good User Interface <=== For sure
Great sound quality <=== For sure
A good pair of bundled headphones / earphones <=== For sure
Equalizer <=== For sure
Wifi <=== For sure
Bluetooth <=== Maybe
Web Browser <=== Maybe
Ability to download songs through the web browser <=== For sure, through Zune Marketplace
Wireless synching <=== For sure
Ability to send and receive files between two devices and with no time limit etc.<=== Nope
AND, if its possible, Windows Live Messenger and access to other Windows Live applications.<=== Maybe

Oh and some other things which I don't know of yet :thumbsup:

Just get the details out before the Sony X Series is released and / if theres a new iPod Touch.

No, thats what i was trying to say, but often when they put 'HD' on a small device it does have a rather high resolution for the size of screen so in a way it is 'HD' although it should be advertised as 'high resolution' which is what 'HD' means does it not?

I agree, adding HD to a mobile device, is misleading.

Last edited:
The problem i have with all these touchscreen media players (ipod touch, sony x1000 etc.) is that they put an emphasis to playback video, and advertise it as such but i'm pretty sure that after my music, i'll only fit a few seasons of anime on there and some films before i have run out of space =/.

Why can't they make something roughly that size but with a HDD? (As in i'm hoping it'll have a hdd). The 3.2" of the Zune is nice, but i can't be asked to import it across as such =/.

...and more rumours have surfaced about zune aoftware on Windows Mobile.....:lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease:

I read somewhere that the ipod touch needed a flash drive because the os needs to read the data at a quicker speed.

Im guessing this is the official thread. Is there any validity to any of the pictures/specs and things that are being released or is it all still 100% rumor based? Just need to clarify.

Nothing offical from Microsoft yet, but I bet its not far off and I wouldn't be surprised if MS were releasing, "unoffical information".

According to engadget and probably yourself if anyone bothers to check twitter but Microsoft created an account for Office 2010 (news to me on its own) anyone they posted that the something important is happening for Zune users in june and that it will be a new product launch.

Day 1, if it has good sound quality. Should be hearing more details at E3.

Last edited:
I'm a little annoyed, i was holding out for this and i don't like that you can only browse the internet at wifi hot spots. The iphone/touch can do it anywhere. Also the fact that the iphone has so many apps still appeals to me. Its a step in the right direction but i really hope they announce some amazing features on June 1st. At this point the iphone/touch still looks the top dog.

I'm a little annoyed, i was holding out for this and i don't like that you can only browse the internet at wifi hot spots. The iphone/touch can do it anywhere. Also the fact that the iphone has so many apps still appeals to me. Its a step in the right direction but i really hope they announce some amazing features on June 1st. At this point the iphone/touch still looks the top dog.

Touch cant, it needs a network. Phone can via GPRS or 3G, but then again, it's a phone and most phones can do that. I wouldn't expect the Zune HD to be able to as it wont have phone capabilities.

You're comparing apples to oranges, cant bundle the phone, touch and zune together because they are completely different.

Well that is true, guess i didn't think of that. Could've been so much more if they made it into a phone. They did mention something about more apps and games so hopefully that means a similar thing to Apple but i doubt it.

Im guessing it would be possible to use the Zune HD on the net then with a network?

Yeah, they said it's gonna have a browser in the specs. Glad it's not a phone, taking on ipod is a hard enough task, let alone trying to take on smartphones as well. Also, this deserves a chance, if it's not as good as ipod touch then fair enough, but it's being written off by some before it's even out. Just because apple did something doesn't mean other devices have to do exactly the same to do well, if people want those features, just buy an ipod.

Last edited:
I'm more than happy to keep my phone and Zune seperate especially to avoid avoidable battery drain

The Zune HD is the main reason im not buying a S9 or Sony NWZ at this current moment in time. It seems to have all the features im looking for and then some (HD Output...Wow!). Hopefully it'll live upto some of my expectations

Seems to be the same reason why i haven't bought the Sony or and Iphone/touch yet. Hopefully Microsoft will compete with then on the Apps scale because everything on this device so far seems decent. Looks slick too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom