21st January 2013 - CES Special

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Phil and Steve give their thoughts on the big stories and products released at CES 2013 in Las Vegas. Is 4K the next big thing? Will OLED ever make it to market? Is Plasma on it's last legs, and, are the Chinese about to dominate the TV market?

Time:00:54:14 | File Size: 75mb | Direct Link

Please leave your feedback and your opinions on the subjects discussed below.

Smart TV - February Podcast
Do you use Smart TV functions? How do you interact with your technology in the home? Are you a second screen user? Send us your story for next months podcast either below, or to: Podcast at AVForums dot com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Intresting parts for me, was that sony seems to have no intrest in making a 4k oled but panasonic might come out with they 4k oled..

As for Smart Features, well ive yet to see a point for them other than to test if the 3D on the tv actually works.

The content is sparse but there is everything you could want for news or weather or information at touch of a finger. They load fast and works fine.

However Smart TV features dont offer me anything I cant do on my smart phone faster and easier. Also I can do far more on my smart phone that the tv cant.

Skype and communication is a good idea, the ability to access content on your network would be good. But a lot of other stuff is fairly redundant.

People say how 3D is a gimmick but smart features feel like a gimmick as you get nothing you cant do with a dozen different devices many with better results.

Also theres an issue of how long will tv manufacturers commit to updating these features. .

Thanks for the podcast and for the CES coverage. You can tell that you both worked hard out there. I have done trade shows in my line of work (Commercial Property Investment), but don't have to write reports and edit videos when the daytime stuff is over - and i am always pooped.

I was listening this morning on the tube and as Phil's voice was getting more horse, i felt my own throat get dry in sympathy. Where do i send the bill for the Lucozade i then had to buy ?

Hope you both got home ok and had a good sleep !

As for smart TV -

I don't have it, but a few people in my office have bought screens with it. The main interest seems to be skype and netflix. When i say, i'm happy with a blu ray disc to give me the best picture and sound i get the usual blanc looks or the occasional "netflix has HD doesn't it?" comment.

It would not be a factor in me buying my next screen, as i have catch up tv services on virgin tivo and i haven't got into skype. Much Like 3D, my next screen will probably just feature it anyway.

Thans again

MB

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom