Samsung PS42C9x/PS50C9x Owners thread

philflow

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any thread about this model and i think it deserves one. I've ordered a PS42C91 and it should be arriving next monday.

The C-series is a cheaper version of the Q series.

Differences C vs Q
cheaper remote vs. programmable remote
filter bright vs. ultra filter bright
movie mode vs. movie plus mode
2 HDMI on the back vs 2 HDMI on the back + 1 on the side

Some people have been having problems with the stripes of ultra filter bright on Q series. The C-series seems not affected by this.

c96_lrg_1.jpg

I will post my experiences with this model as soon as possible.

The price difference between Q series and C series is about 150 euros here in holland. Here's a nice option what to do with that money:
A nice black, upscaling Samsung DVD recorder DVD-R155
http://www.samsung.com/nl/products/dvd/dvdrecorders/recorders/dvd_r155.asp
Might get one myself.

Since everyone seems to be switching of features like Movie plus, and many seem to be bothered by Ultrafilter bright, I'm surprised I'm not hearing more about the C series here.

this t.v is brilliant i had a Matsui 42p900 Edtv before this which blow up (lol) so we bought this and the picture quilty is out standing through sky hd and blue ray.the only problem with this t.v is that it could do with 1 more hdmi for us .i no it does have 3 but we have used them already by the way you should go for the 50 inch for the extra 200 quid make all the difference

The price difference between Q series and C series is about 150 euros here in holland. . .

Since everyone seems to be switching of features like Movie plus, and many seem to be bothered by Ultrafilter bright, I'm surprised I'm not hearing more about the C series here.

Funny, it's just the opposite in the U.S. on the AVSforum.com - everyone's getting the C-series equivalent, and the Q-series equivalent can't get a word in edgewise! Over there, the two series are xx54 and xx64, where xx is the screen size.

CHFels

I received my PS42-C91 today and sofar I'm very impressed. On analogue cable the picture was already good. On digital cable even better. PC picture looks perfect (1024*768 VGA) 720p content is amazing. I'm sitting at 2.60 meters (8,5 feet) and I'm very happy with this size screen.

I will take a couple of days more to testdrive it, watch some football etc and post my experiences.

Questions are welcome.

After months of looking at the Panny PX70, I've seen the 50'' of the C96/97 for £999 at ED. Too good to pass up IMO.

I think the matt finish looks 'less tacky' than the piano black, philflow do you have any pics yet?

Looking forward to the opinions, I beleive there is already a mini-review over at www.hdtvtest.co.uk.

I will take a couple of days more to testdrive it, watch some football etc and post my experiences.

Looking forward to your results.
Maybe you can confirm if this set also exposes the moire patterns the Q-series have, due to the Ultra-Filterbright.

Did you compare this set in the shops against a Q91? Is there a difference in PQ?

Why did you choose this set?

Cheers,
Ron

Looking forward to your results.
Maybe you can confirm if this set also exposes the moire patterns the Q-series have, due to the Ultra-Filterbright.
Definetly no stripes on this one. I am pretty sure no C series plasma has reflective stripes like the Q.

Did you compare this set in the shops against a Q91? Is there a difference in PQ?
Just a little. Image quality was virtually the same. Then again the way a plasma looks in a shop has very little relevance to how it's going to look in my home.

Why did you choose this set?
-Image quality: there is very little between C, Q, and PX70
-Price difference: 150 euros cheaper than Q series, 200 euros cheaper than 42PX70.
-Design: Samsungs look a lot better than Panasonic imo.
-The Moviemode plus on Q is not very appealing to me

Big plus for Panasonic is reliability imo, but 2 year warranty on the Samsung will hopefully be enough.

Also the fact that it's possible to test it for a while, to see if i am satisfied caused me to take some risk and go for samsung.

Thanks philflow for the response.

For me an important fact is connectivity. Years pass and you obtain such a load of appliances you can hook up. When I count my them:
  • Digital TV settop box (RGB scart)
  • DVD (RGB scart or component right now, should be HDMI in future)
  • VCR (a must for my girl's soap recording, RGB scart)
  • XBOX 360 (which I won in a contest, component or VGA)
  • Nintendo Wii (I bought that freely, and it is a lot of fun, even on a CRT. RGB scart or composite)
  • Occasional video camera hookup (composite)

So when I look at the PX/PV70, I must say there's a lot less connectivity than in the PX/PV60's. A shame really.
Right now I'm in between the Panasonic 42PV700 and one of the Samsungs 42" Q or C series.

As there is no perfect plasma I see these issues:
  • The PV700 (in holland) has the anti-reflection coating. I am unsure of it's effect on the picture quallity. Will it diffuse the picture and make it softer?
  • The Q-series are beautiful designed, have a lot of connectivity for the money, but suffer from reflection moire.
  • The C-series are in my honest opinion less beautifull designed than their Q-brothers and sisters, have less connectivity, but might be adequate.

I have not yet met a situation that I could see some side-by-side. Especially the PV700 is not yet in any shops in Holland for me to observe the foil.

Also the fact that it's possible to test it for a while, to see if i am satisfied caused me to take some risk and go for samsung.

How come you can test it for a while? It might be a risk I can consider as well.

Cheers,
Ron

Damn that's alot of connectivity you want.:)

How come you can test it for a while? It might be a risk I can consider as well.

Any internetshop in holland has to offer you at least 7 (sometimes 14) days 'bedenktijd' = time to reconsider . If you are somehow not satisfied you can return it and you get all your money back.

I recommend Redcoon. They are cheap and offer good service. 7 days testperiod.

PS. i agree with you that the Q series looks better than C series. However now it's here in my home it looks pretty damn good.

[*]The PV700 (in holland) has the anti-reflection coating. I am unsure of it's effect on the picture quallity. Will it diffuse the picture and make it softer?

I've seen the PV70 and PV700 side-by-side.
I can confirm that the PV700 has the anti-reflective coating
Personally, I found the image of the PV700 a little softer and a little less colourful than that of the PV70 next to it.
Both screens were set up the same way.
The PV700 looks bigger (almost like a 50-incher next to the PV70) because the speakers are at the side.

I've seen both 42C91 and 42Q91 in a shop and with default settings C91 was much more bright than than Q91. Default brightness setting is 45 i guess. I had to set it to 65 on q91 to have equal brightness with c91.

Is this normal??

If I had no knowledge about these plasmas I would says c91 is the superior model.

I've seen both 42C91 and 42Q91 in a shop and with default settings C91 was much more bright than than Q91. Default brightness setting is 45 i guess. I had to set it to 65 on q91 to have equal brightness with c91.

Is this normal??
Could be. The special coating (called Ultra Filter Bright) on Q91 makes it darker.

But in a shop there could be so many settings...
are you sure that settings like Dynamic, DNi, Shopmode, Colour, Tone etc were all equal? are you sure that the feed was equal? connected in the same way?

If I had no knowledge about these plasmas I would says c91 is the superior model.
It is! :hiya:

It comes without reflective stripes :)

Morning philflow,

What do you have connected to your C91?
Do you use the XBOX 360/PS3- I play alot of games so is obviously a large concern to me.

Thanks,

Hi Lezman,

-A Digital Cable settop box through RGB scart.
-Old DVD player through scart. (need a new one!)
-Asus notebook through VGA. Perfect picture quality at 1024*768. Desktop looks great, 720p amazing.

So no PS3 mate.

i have the c96hd and my ps3 through hdmi - looks great with games and video. There are quite a lot of detailed settings you can access without going into the service menu - such as turning off dnie - which i couldn't do on my last model. It does catch refelections though and i have noticed a buzz every now and again - sometime relating to picture change. It will be fine then change to adverts and buzz, then change to a different advert and stop straight away. this one only has 2 hdmi though, 2 scart - 1 rgb and component.

the pic is still running in though but from my last set it was the same and then looked really good after a couple of weeks - this is just starting to get better and the soft look is going and more details are showing up.

overall a worthwhile set that looks good on the exterior too.

Short review here:
http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/plasma/samsung_ps50c96hdx.htm

Not very comprehensive, and the text seems remarkably similar to the Q9x review. Does highlight a few of the differences though.

Seriously considering buying this set over the Q model solely because of the diffraction stripes issue with Ultra FilterBright.

Anyone been lucky enough to see a Q9x and C96 side-by-side?

Short review here:
http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/plasma/samsung_ps50c96hdx.htm

Not very comprehensive, and the text seems remarkably similar to the Q9x review. Does highlight a few of the differences though.

Seriously considering buying this set over the Q model solely because of the diffraction stripes issue with Ultra FilterBright.

Anyone been lucky enough to see a Q9x and C96 side-by-side?

I'm afraid not, any shops which have one don't seem to sell the other.
I guess it comes down to if you want to save a few quid, not have the diffraction stripes issue and like the matt black finish. Doesn't seem to be much else in it.

Has anyone attempted 1:1 pixel mapping via HDMI?

Based on what I've read, I think you would need to output 720p (for 1:1 you would lose 24 pixels top and bottom, and 43 pixels from either side)

Congrats for your new TV Phil.:thumbsup:

For some reason i don't know , the Q96/97 are not sold here in Greece yet but will be imported in July as the central dealer told me.
The C96 is sold and can be found for around 1,250 euro , so i 'm not sure if i 'm going to wait for the Q96 (mainly for the 3 HDMI) or get the C96.
If you like it a lot you might convince me to buy one soon.:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom