2 seperate homeplug networks, is it possible ?

NX3

Prominent Member
Reaction score
We have two adsl lines, one for home and one for work to two separate adsl modems / routers. We want to extend both, currently the 'home' connection is extended via homeplug but need to extend the 'work' connection also.

Is it possible to run a totally separate homeplug network over the same house electrics ? If possible how do tell the homeplug unit which network to sync with?

Wifi doesn't have the range hence why we are using homeplugs.

No. Unless you can find some form of powerline comms that allows you to create distinct "pairs" to keep the traffic separate, however the HomePlugs we've seen discussed most often here operate "common bus" over the mains so there's no means to distinquish between one set of traffic and another - it all looks the same and thus can't be segregated.

You might be able to do something with VLAN's, however that would require that HomePlugs can transmit VLAN tagged traffic (I don't know if anyone has tested this yet) and you've got devices (switches and routers) attached to your HomePlugs that can both create and understand the required VLAN tags (most SOHO kit doesn't.)

As I thought having failed to find anything online. Thanks. I'll have to re-think how to do this...

Have you thought about trying a WiFi range extender? They do work and it's usually best to buy one from the same manufacturer as your modem. Try contacting them and see if they have a recommendation.

Actually the Zyxel range of Powerline/Homeplug adapters allows the configuration of two logically distinct networks on one set of mains wiring. Have a look at their user guide, specifically sections 5.0.5 "Setting up a New Network with a New Adapter" on page 40 and 5.0.6 "Splitting a Network into Two Networks" on page 42.

I've no idea if other makes of powerline/homeplug offer this facility, and obviously the two networks will share the available bandwidth on the mains wiring.

you can also utilise differnt types of homeplugs such as 1 set of 85Mbs and one set of 200, they are designed to co-exist but what impact on performance will be i haven't tested.
Another option is too simply connect it all and use manual ip configuration on one of the routers, this is waht i do allowing me to change the connection on my machine quite easily.

My TPLink ones allow you to put in different network identifiers.

I'm guessing you can do this to get what you need.

The older 85 Mbs Homeplugs can "co-exist" with the new 200 Mbs ones on the same electrical circuit. This means that they will not interfere with the other type but they will NOT interoperate.
HTH

85mbps would be fine for the work connection and the line is only rated at 1mbit anyway to go be so far from the exchange. Thanks, this sounds like a good cheap option !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom