Cosby's setup Part II

Cosby

Established Member
Reaction score
I did have a previous thread but a lot has changed, so starting a new one. Hope that's ok/allowed by the mods.

I have recently added an amp, speakers and a new stand. Very happy with the results. Even the future Mrs Cosby (well she will be Mrs Cosby on the 17th October) did not understand why I was saving all my 'pocket money' and 'wasting' it on my setup, but after watching The Matrix for the surround sound effect and watching some music videos streamed from the server to the PS3, she is convinced.

Anyway, kit list is:

Samsung LE40M86BD TV
Onkyo TX-SR607 AV Receiver
Kef KHT2005.3 speaker package
Panasonic DMP-BD35EB-K Blu-ray player
Panasonic DMR-EZ27EB-K DVD recorder
Sony Playstation 3
Logitech Harmony One
Sony Playstation 3 Remote
Belkin PureAV HDMI cables
QED Original cables for the front speakers
QED Micro cables for the rear speakers
QED Performance sub cable

all housed in a Alphason FW1350-LO/B TV stand.

In fact the night I got the amp I tried to fit it in the £40 Benno Ikea TV stand I had (which I hated) but there was no clearance for the amp to breath, so the Mrs found the Alphason stand which I love. Only problem is it's a magnet for dust.

Anyway, here are the pictures. Enjoy.

Attachments

• Cosby_Front1.jpg
    Cosby_Front1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,466
  • Cosby_Front2.jpg
    Cosby_Front2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,283
  • Cosby_Front3.jpg
    Cosby_Front3.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,847
  • Cosby_Front4.jpg
    Cosby_Front4.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,306
  • Cosby_DVD_Amp.jpg
    Cosby_DVD_Amp.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,164
  • Cosby_Blu-ray-PS3.jpg
    Cosby_Blu-ray-PS3.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,345
  • Cosby_Sub.jpg
    Cosby_Sub.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 952
  • Cosby_Harmony-One.jpg
    Cosby_Harmony-One.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 964
  • Cosby_Rear-Speakers.jpg
    Cosby_Rear-Speakers.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,181
  • Cosby_DVDs.jpg
    Cosby_DVDs.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,060
  • Cosby_Blu-rays.jpg
    Cosby_Blu-rays.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 1,085
That's a nice bit of work there mate. Nice and tidy :thumbsup:

Nice kit mate like the AV stand :smashin:

thanks for the comments guys. Watching Planet Earth just now and loving it!

Looks great, nice selection of kit and it all looks very neat.

Although I find picture 4 significantly better than the rest for some reason..

mmmm Heidi from the Sugababes - fit!

Thats a great set up and your Mrs did you proud finding that stand to house all your gear :smashin:

Great set up! Ive always liked the look and sound of the Kef Eggs!

I love the rack, do you know off hand if there is a specific weight limit for it?

EDIT:just googled it, 120kg max, more than enough! Nice rack that, could be just what im looking for!

Last edited:
THANKYOU!!!!!

I am teetering on the edge of ordering an Alphason FW1350 and as you can see by my kit list below you certainly helped a wee bit with visualising my equipment in/with it lol :D

What I' struggling with is whether to go with the Light Oak or the Walnut finish. I am presently laying some oak effect laminate wood flooring and I don't know whether I should for for the similar wood or the contrasting wood.

I'm also thinking of getting the Alphason Aspect Coffee Table with matching wood veneer. It's a different design but the matching veneer should be enough to create a kinda theme right?

(apologies for any kind of hijack here)

Love the setup btw Cosby, very nice choices all round imho :thumbsup:

Thanks cas - seriously thinking about it now.

thanks Medrep1 - love the Kef's. I think (to my untrained ear) the sound is superb, and they look good too.

Argh! Good taste in equipment :D If you need any measurements or pictures, please let me know. I got mine from Stand and Deliver and would highly recommend them. Excellent service.

Hey,

I notice you have the onkyo 607 on the bottom shelf and it looks like you've gone for the normal setup with clearance for the bottom shelf of 20cm. I have the onkyo 606 and was wondering if it would fit. Looking at dimensions, it looks the same as yours roughly, so my question was on ventilation? It appears as though the gap would be 2.5cm - is that enough for ventilation for the receiver?

I'm very tempted by this, it looks great. I have a 50" pioneer tv, but I'm looking more at the 1350 as it gives me more room for equipment than the 1100.

Thanks in advance,

Graham.

I like that Alphason stand too (however I would have it in the all black) I see you decided not to use the back panel that is supplied, I guess thats because of the egg fryer (Onkyo) you have there :rotfl:

EDIT - oops just noticed the back panel magically appearing in the later pics :blush:

Hi,

One other question I had was I saw this review on a review site and just wondered if you've found this at all? It's concerning so I wanted to hear from someone who has it about that subject. There were plenty of other positive reviews, but best to check.

Thanks,

Graham.

The glass shelves sit on self-adhesive rubber blocks....which in turn are stuck onto the square tube steel frames. The frames don't have sufficient rigidity to resist bending along their span....this results in a very noticeable deformation when viewing from the front. The net result is the rubber blocks are "squeezed" out from between the glass and the frame.......and the glass just bends even more - good job it's toughened !
I have a small AV amp and a VCR/DVD combo on one shelf......no where near the weight limits specified, but the bend in the frame is very noticeable. My TV weighs in at 38Kg....way short of the 80kg limit, but again the bend is very noticeable and the rubber blocks keep on popping out every day or so. Having lived with the unit for around 2 months now and continually having to relocate the rubber blocks, I wouldn't recommend this unit - I believe this issue neds to be addressed with captive rubber inserts for the frames - the self-adhesive blocks migrate and for this reason alone the unit is not fit for it's intended purpose. If my 38Kg TV causes these problems, what would a load closer to the 80Kg limit do to the unit ?? The second point I personally do not like is the "cable Management" - this is no more than 4 LARGE rectangular holes in the hardboard backboard.....these holes are large enough to accomodate the cabling associate with a telephone exchange, let alone a few pieces of AV equipment. When you sit back in front of the unit you can see right through the management holes giving the unit and open & uncontained feel. It would have been far better to have two small holes placed centrally, or even a few nockouts to allow users to determine the best setup for their particular installation. I will have to "plate" these holes soon to minimise their impact when sitting in front of the unit.

Yeah the back panel is on. I find it has plenty cooling as there are massive holes in the back and it's open fronted so I think it's got enough. Yep the Onkyo gets hot, but it would probably defrost a freezer if it was running in one!

I have not seen any bending issues with the unit, so don't know why that guy is seeing issues.

Haha, very true Cosby, it does get rather warm.

Just trying to decide just now. Where did you get yours from in the end? I notice you're from Glasgow too and just wondering if there were any shops in the area that would have it on display so I could see it? Or did you buy from one of the numerous websites that stock it?

My friend who's a joiner and starting out his own business is going to go over with me what he could do as well as I thought I'd ask him and see if I can get one built exactly as I want it. If not, I'll probably end up going with the alphason fw1350 in light oak.

Thanks,

Graham.

Graham, I got it from Stand and Deliver. Great service.

If it would help, you could come round to my flat and have a look at the stand. I know I wish I could have when I was looking for a stand. PM me if you want to pop round and have a look.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom