Decware Zen SE84 (Out on Loan)
Rega R9 (Out on Loan)
Keesonic Kolt (Office System)
TA2020 T-Amp (Office System)

Back in early 2012......

The setup as it Was in the old room-

System
by hoopsontoast, on Flickr

With the AVR200 running as Pre-amp into the Sony.

I have a Luxman PD-272 / Sure M97xe and a Rotel RQ-970BX Phone Stage-

Luxman PD-272
by hoopsontoast, on Flickr

Which may make its way into the Main/HT system depending on how it sounds.

Last edited:
Makes me want to start buying vinyl just so I have an excuse to have a sweet looking turn table.

Lovely turntable, have not seen one of those before.

:smashin:

wow! I love the way the Luxman PD-272 looks!!! :D how did it sound?

Nice setup!

It sounds alright, not perfect yet, needs some more tweaking with the cartridge setup and phono stage I think.

The SE84 on the other hand is stunning! Not a massive difference to start off with but loads of little extra things I have noticed in recordings and the texture of bass guitars and piano in particular.

Last edited:
Those speakers look great, are you being gentle with them after the re foaming?

Did not get on with the AE2's/Denon combo and moved them on. AE2's went to a mate, they sounded good but not as open as the Kolts, and soundstage was not as defined.
The PMA-2000AE was a power house, great bass control and grip but a little recessed in the mid-range, would have been nice to use it with the S9000ES below but it was sold before I picked it up.
AVR200 donated to another mate as well.

Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/SACD Player was added, a freebie from an old work colleague. Tis a lovely piece of kit!
Kolts bought back into the system, along with the trusty 670ES. The Kolts and the S9000ES are keepers I think! The Panny BDP is up for sale as I dont have the best eye sight and dont really notice the extra resolution in my setup. Also, would rather just buy cheaper DVD's anyway!

Sony DVP S9000ES by hoopsontoast, on Flickr

Also tried a Teac A-H01 for a week (£199 special), sounded OK (bit like the Bantam Gold) but took it back due to alternator going on the car. I feel bad for doing this, but Richer Sounds were great.

A-H01 by hoopsontoast, on Flickr

So an amp change again hopefully in the next week, on the continued quest to settle down with one!

Its all Fun!

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of this thread, real hifi is so under-estimated!

I would personally stick with the Sony ES amplifier.

I moved from my VA555ES with TAN55ES to a Musical Fidelity F22 pre and F15 power amp a few years ago, only to sell them and go back to my original Sony ES combination last year. I then went with 2 TAN55ES amps in monoblock configuration but sold them earlier this yearto raise funds when moving in with my girlfriend.

I love that the ES gear holds its own in terms of power and quality, but it isn't so high end that you end up being unable to listen to some recordings. Vinyl was unlistenable most of the time on my Musical Fidelity amps even though the pre amp was a fully valved piece of kit - most disappointing.

I am getting hold of 2 TAN80ES and 1 TAN55ES power amps once I have saved the money - I cannot wait!!

Cheers, yeah massive fan of the Sony ES gear. Really torn between going down the big integrated route and having another go with Valves. Ideally I would love the power and finesse of the Sony TA-F770ES I had, with the sublime mid-range, soundstage and Imaging of the Decware Zen amp.

So some new toys.
Part One of Two new amps in Hoops Manor, a pair of ASL (Antique Sound Labs) 8wpc PP Wave Monoblocks-

System by hoopsontoast, on Flickr

With an Icon Audio LA3 that arrived in the post today!

At the weekend, i finished the refurbishment of some Kord Vulcan Monitors that are now up for sale, much like the larger Tornado I had before.

Kord Vulcan by hoopsontoast, on Flickr

Last edited:
Woah.... they look toooooooooo cool ! bet they sound fantastic!

love the AE2's and the retro styling!

7442589360_26a4b4f089_c.jpg

I'm trying to find a unit like that, something small just to put my ps3 and sky box in, out the way in the corner of the room, you able to point me in the direction of where you got it from or is it just something you have had for ages?

Maybe its just me being blind but can't seem to find anything like it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom