Arcam Boys xbox room, all for himself. W.I.P

Deleted member 134693

Reaction score
Hello,

Thought I'd add a couple of pictures up of a spare bedroom I will be slowly converting in to an xbox room / guest room :thumbsup:

Its going to be slow work as I go on a cruise to the Carribean on Thursday) for 18 days (tough life I know ;)) then it'll be Christmas so I probably won't have many more updates until the New Year.

Decided to go B&W in-wall so the room can still function as a guest room without fear of people knocking any speakers over or the room looking like a hi fi shop.

Installed the first speaker today :D

Going to have a 40" Samsung LED tv on the wall some B&W CWM800 left and right fronts and CCM65 in ceiling rears. Not sure on which amp to go for yet. I'll see what comes up in the classifieds that fits my budget and requirements.

I've installed the centre speaker above the TV as I'll be putting an atacama equinox rack below where the TV goes.

CAT 6 Cables have been run from downstairs in to the room to provide wired broadband. One cable will feed my 8 port Netgear hub and the other will be for my QNAP 212 feeding FLAC files to my Sonos downstairs for my hi - fi.

IMG_0012.jpg

Cat 6 wall box.

IMG_0009.jpg

Mount for in-wall speaker.

IMG_0011.jpg

Speaker fitted :thumbsup:

IMG_0010.jpg

Progress so far.

Thanks for looking.
Mark

Will DEFINITELY be watching this with interest!

Hello.

Apologies for the slow update, I've had a busy few months and was waiting to find some mint B&W CWM650 speakers which are now discontinued by B&W but still sound superb :thumbsup:

Over Christmas I marked out the wall and where the speakers/tv/router etc etc would be going.

I managed to get hold some speakers just after Christmas and then cut the left-right holes out for the speakers. As I'd had a projector screen mounted on the wall (now an abandoned project!) the wall wasn't perfect so I thought I'd use lining paper on the wall and then paint over it.

I lined the wall but this didn't go to plan as soon as I started painted it it bubbled off the wall and looked a mess :facepalm:

On to plan B. I arranged someone to skim the wall instead to leave me with a nice smooth finish and to be honest wish I'd done it in the first place!

IMG_0040.jpg

Drying out phase

The walls were filled with rockwool, couldn't believe how cheap this stuff is and I ran Chord Carnival Silverscreen cable for the front three.

After 2 coats of paint we was looking like this...

IMG_0056.jpg

Speakers in - situ and awaiting the grills which were a nightmare to paint :thumbsdow

IMG_0058.jpg

This is how the room looks at present...

P1010691.jpg

The ceilings been painted and I'm going to get a new light for it this month. I was thinking of having it skimmed and putting in some spot lights, although have decided against it as this is a budget install and that would add another £100+ to the budget compared to £30 for a new light!

Hoping to get the other three walls papered this month. Going for a grey/black velour paper to keep the room nice and dark.

I'll also be installings some B&W CCM65 in ceiling speakers for the rears.

Over the next coming months I'll be fitting some Cloud 9 underlay and a mid/dark grey carpet, either a purple or grey decent sofa bed (for guests) then just finishing it off with skirting board etc etc.

Will add more updates as there done.

Overall very very happy with the sound quality from the in-walls.

Apologies for the poor photo's all were taken with an iphone apart from the last one. The paint looks stunning in real life :D

Thanks
Mark

That's gona be an awesome "guest room" you may have people over staying their welcome however ;)

Coming along nicely mate been waiting for an update ..great work!
P.S. Cloud 9 is the way forward just had some fitted AND LOVE IT! lol :rotfl:

Nice one Mark, looking forward to the updates!

Good choice in speakers I think, I was going to buy them myself for rears but picked up SCMs instead but I preferred that generation of B&W in walls to the newer ones!

That an Atacama stand the kit is on?

Many thanks for the kind words chaps. I must admit its nice to see it all coming together and at least its a usable room now, at least for watching blu rays and playing xbox :D

That's gona be an awesome "guest room" you may have people over staying their welcome however ;)

:laugh: Thanks Daddy K appreciated.

Coming along nicely mate been waiting for an update ..great work!
P.S. Cloud 9 is the way forward just had some fitted AND LOVE IT! lol :rotfl:

Thanks James. Knocked the wall tiles on the head in the end although going to add a couple of acoustic panels. Yeah only ever read good stuff about it and relatively cheap as well :thumbsup:

Nice one Mark, looking forward to the updates!

Good choice in speakers I think, I was going to buy them myself for rears but picked up SCMs instead but I preferred that generation of B&W in walls to the newer ones!

That an Atacama stand the kit is on?

Thanks Brian. Yeah there excellent speakers, really impressed with them although not a patch on your system.

Yeah its an Atacama equinox. I've got 3 more shelves downstairs but my hi-fi kit is sat on that for now until I can afford either a Naim Fraim or Hi Fi Racks Podium.

Thanks James. Knocked the wall tiles on the head in the end although going to add a couple of acoustic panels. Yeah only ever read good stuff about it and relatively cheap as well :thumbsup:

If you want a gd supplier for the underlay i can let you know. I've used them before and its free next day del. Depends whther you want a roll though not sure if they sell it by the m.

It looks great, very nice indeed. Love the speakers by the way.

Phil.

You don't by any chance know of a decent in wall Sub to go with my KEF Ci3 80QT (In Ceiling) and Kef Ci FDT's (In Wall) speakers do you?

Thanks in advance.

Phil.

If you want a gd supplier for the underlay i can let you know. I've used them before and its free next day del. Depends whther you want a roll though not sure if they sell it by the m.

Thanks James.

Was going to get some from eBay. £40 for 15m sq of the 9mm or £44 for the 11mm inc free next day delivery. Should be plenty to do this room as its only 8ft x 12ft. :)

If you know anywhere cheaper/better let me know please mate

You don't by any chance know of a decent in wall Sub to go with my KEF Ci3 80QT (In Ceiling) and Kef Ci FDT's (In Wall) speakers do you?

Thanks in advance.

Phil.

Thanks for the kind comments Phil.

Unfortunately not mate I've not looked in to in-wall subs myself as I'm hoping to stick something on the left of my kit rack.

Maybe an xls400 or B&W PV1 (funds depending) :rolleyes:

Thanks James.

Was going to get some from eBay. £40 for 15m sq of the 9mm or £44 for the 11mm inc free next day delivery. Should be plenty to do this room as its only 8ft x 12ft. :)

If you know anywhere cheaper/better let me know please mate

No Sounds about right i went with a supplier off ebay too but the actual company was wilson carpet underlay got a slight discount as i bought in bulk. I spoke to richard and he was very helpful. I went for the cumulus 11mm as you can't beat it. I just wanted to make sure you weren't going to get it supplied by someone like carpet right etc as they would charge something around £7.50m which is way to much. I'm not sure if i'm allowed to recommend a carpet fitter on here but if you're stuck and local to brimingham them inbox me and i'll get you his details he can supply and fit or just fit.

James

Last edited:
Thanks James, appreciated.

Looking good, but out of curiosity, why did you mount the centre speaker above the TV?

I've got a friend who's looking for some decent second hand in-walls, do you mind me asking how much you paid?

Hi mate.

Two reasons really.

Firstly I've got another shelf to add to the atacama for Blu ray player and sonos this wouldn't of left me enough room below the tv to fit it in. I could of raised the tele slightly but the height it's at is perfect for viewing without tilting your neck.

Secondly there's quite a few cables running in the wall to the tele from the rack and this just made it easier running them as there's only 5mm behind the speaker with the insulation in place.

I sourced the centre off here for £120 and left and right for £200 privately. I paid £130 for the amp so for £450 I've got a pretty good system that's more than good enough really for what I need.

The 6 series in walls are probably better than the newer series they've been replaced by with the blue Kevlar drivers.

Nice set up so far!! are you taking reservations for guests yet! put my name down! haha

Time for a little update from me.

Apologies its taken so long and its nothing overly exciting but thought I'd see this thread through to the end seeing as though I started it.

Firstly I've upgraded the Denon 1909 to an Onkyo 609 which is a superb little amp and loving the built in spoitfy. I've not done a calibration with it yet as I'm waiting to get the furniture in first.

I also purchased a Jamo D200 subwoofer just to relieve the bass duties from the front three but that only last a week or so before I decided to upgrade this so a Paradigm PDR8 :devil:

I also changed the front single plug socket to a twin in black and added a Tacima 6 way power block.

This weekend I have finished wall papering the other three walls. Really really pleased with the wall paper went up really well and looks very good in the 'flesh' if I say so myself :)

Also added a black (although it looks silver in the picture) curtain pole and some black suedette curtains which with the blinds closed make a gaming much better in the day time.

I've just ordered 15m2 of Cloud 9 9mm underlay and should have some dark grey carpet being fitted on the 23rd of this month :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what to do with the door and skirting board now. I'm considering painting them black as I feel with a dark wall and dark carpet a white skirting board will look a little odd??

Now my wifes seen it she's said "You should get a projector in there" :facepalm:

So its now got the cogs ticking and an acoustic electric screen maybe in order! :suicide:

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Mark :)

P.S sorry for the pictures they look shocking now I've posted them. Once the rooms fully finished will take some pics on a decent camera instead of my iphone.

Looking forward to seeing this finished. I'm currently working on a similar sized space that will also have to double as a secondary living area. I'm liking the look of your built-ins, very tidy and practical.

Looks really smart, Love the wallpaper, I almost went for some very similar myself.

Any chance we can get our Wives together for a chat? Not only are you allowed your own AV room but she has actually suggested a PJ?!!!!:smashin:

Thanks guys your comments are much appreciated.

Will definitely get some decent pics up once its all done but going on my previous progress maybe a few more months yet lol.

Nice setup mate. Looks awesome I wish i had the space for a game room:) just out of interest how easy were CWM 650s and CCM65 to install? I only ask because if i was to get my own place it would be nice to do them all in wall in a bedroom.

Keep us updated on how it goes and if you make any changes :)

Last edited:
If i bring a controller... can i pop round? (i'd be lying if i said it wasn't mostly to see the mental furry one)

Looks good mate, bet it's nice to have the house to yourselves too!

Though it can't be long before that's a nursery ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom