ladies boxing

Ned Senior

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ell done to my niece Natasha Jonas made history yet again today by being GB's first ever Olympic womens boxer
she beat the American opponent 21:14

tight chested and full of tears whilst I watched on tv,
the yank looked scary emerging from the tunnel but tash stayed composed and skilled throughout a fight which was often toe to toe and a little rough in the final round!!!

love you babe x

Well Done ! Great post !

Wow, brilliant! I saw her interviewed earlier, and showing the cameras around Toxteth. She is really fantastic and the people at the corner shop with her picture in the window brought a tear to my eye. You must be a very proud Uncle.
We have seen so many positive role models for women at these Olympics, and she is one of them:

London 2012 Olympics profile: boxer Natasha Jonas

I couldn't find the BBC clip, but the above is great.

Cheers
Phil

Ned

You should ask for this to be moved into General Chat so more people can know about her and the Forum connection.

Cheers
Phil

Edit - stuff it, I've posted a link anyway!

Last edited:
All the scousers i know relegated the tennis to watch her, top job and well done :clap:

its funny we are not totally close as my sons mum and I split years ago but he now lives with tash looking after their nan
me and tasha chat on facebook a bit when we are both online at same time
BUT even so,
sitting here re reading the thread here and in GC
my eyes are full of tears :))) fool
funny thinking back to all the times I babysat her and read stories to etc

Nice one Ned....must be great having an Olympian in the family.

Edit: Just noticed that she faces Katie Taylor in her next fight. Taylor is a 4 time world champion, and Ireland's only hope for a gold.

oh well beaten in the quarters by the 4 time world champ from Ireland....
still an olympian Tash no one can remove that or the fact that you were the first ever British lady to box in the olympic games xxx

Ned

No worries there. Yes, beaten. but let's face it mate. She comes across as a 'winner' to everyone who has seen her interviewed. It REALLY isn't all about winning medals. It's about inspiring people with hard work, humility and dignity. She was a part of an Olympics that no one in this country will see again in their lifetimes. She has memories that will last a lifetime. In 50 years time, she will be being interviewed on BBC Holographic as a trailblazer, the same way surviving people from 1948 are still interviewed. Does she realise this? It would send a tingle down my spine.
She might win gold in Rio. And that might mean more to her in the long term. But this will be always special to her. It's special to all of us and we're just watching!

Cheers,
Phil

Philly112 said:
Ned

No worries there. Yes, beaten. but let's face it mate. She comes across as a 'winner' to everyone who has seen her interviewed. It REALLY isn't all about winning medals. It's about inspiring people with hard work, humility and dignity. She was a part of an Olympics that no one in this country will see again in their lifetimes. She has memories that will last a lifetime. In 50 years time, she will be being interviewed on BBC Holographic as a trailblazer, the same way surviving people from 1948 are still interviewed. Does she realise this? It would send a tingle down my spine.
She might win gold in Rio. And that might mean more to her in the long term. But this will be always special to her. It's special to all of us and we're just watching!

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks man thats a really friendly post .....appreciated massively :)))

Philly112 said:
Ned

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks man :) appreciate that and you know its very true she is one from a special breed

EDIT ... Double post, getting used to my tablet thingamywotsit :oops:

Thanks man thats a really friendly post .....appreciated massively :)))

Hey, I am a posh guy from the Wirral :D. But my family are from Bootle. (nowt wrong with that of course!). Unfortunately we don't have kids, but all of our 6 nephews and nieces will be watching Tasha's interviews and BBC mini docs now. I will be insisting!

Your first post about your niece brought home to me what the Olympics are all about. It's not Andy Murray, it's not US Basketball, it's not Usain Bolt. They are all great. But it's about the stories that touch out hearts, for whatever the reason. Some win - Mo Farrah. Some lose - Tasha. But their stories are what matter to me, not the medals.
However... lest I get misty eyed. If she doesn't get gold in Rio she can forget it!

Cheers
Phil

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom