First Look at LG 84-inch 3D Ultra High Definition 4K TV

hodg100

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Seemingly not content with being the first of the majors to deliver their press conference at CES 2012, LG have teased some pre-show information on what is likely to be one of the stars of the show by showing off an 84" 4K 3D TV. We're not sure what the de facto term will be adopted by the industry, going forwards, be it UD (Ultra Definition), UHD (Ultra High Definition), 4K or 4K2K but, whatever, the display will be the largest of its type shown to date when events kick off in Vegas on 9th January.

attachment.php

“LG is pushing the limits of home entertainment innovation with this 3D UD TV,” said Havis Kwon, President and CEO of LG Electronics Home Entertainment Company. “We are bringing together all our Smart TV and 3D knowledge in the 3D UD TV in order to demonstrate to the CES audience that LG is committed to being the world’s leading brand for immersive home entertainment in 2012 and beyond.”

LG’s 3D UD TV boasts 8 million pixels, four times the resolution (3840×2160) of existing Full HD TV panels and something they are terming '3D Sound Zooming' that they say provides users with ;3D sound that rivals the output of all but the best home theater systems'. Guess we'll see about that.

Naturally users will be able to access LG’s Smart TV ecosystem, which comprises over 1,200 apps and gives users access to a growing range of premium content services such as the 3D Zone where viewers can select from a selection of 3D movies and it can all be controlled by LG's Magic Remote which now recognizes four different types of command input: Voice Recognition, Wheel, Magic Gesture and Point.

Phil and Steve will be sure to head over to the LG stand to check it out and you can keep an eye out for our coverage at CES 2012 | AVForums.com - UK Online

Last edited:
i hope the girl comes along with the tv, as that aint gonna be cheap...its so sexy though...i look forward to seeing what it gives us in action! and keep doing the lottery so i can buy it!

There must be a point at which the definition is so high its effectively the same as the eye sees the world around us. At that point it should simply be called real def or something like that, until then HD should stick.

Looks a nice set, but I cant see any but the very rich buying it.

What 4K sources can it accept? Surely if it's only 4k via HDMI that will be at a maximum of 30Hz (30Hz for 3840x2160 and 24Hz for full 4K sources). Since the UK is 50Hz and the SHV footage being shot this year at the Olympics is 60Hz, and Japan is going for 120Hz for the approx 8K standard, this will severly limit this TV. As well as the fact that there are almost no consumer 4K video sources right now to use with this TV (except for a few short youtube clips).

Basically they need a source of 4K/3840x2160 content (more than just the few youtube clips - including something that doesn't only use the internet eg. an optical disc format or other physical format), at >24/30Hz, and a better standard than the current HDMI standard (which severely limits what sources it can accept).

Last edited:
Now that's a telly!!!

I hope Phil and friends post a vid of it from CES.:cool:

Now that's a telly!!!

I hope Phil and friends post a vid of it from CES.:cool:

as mentioned in mark's first post 2012 seems like the most comprehensive coverage from AV forums yet!!!!! cant wait!

Even if its unlikely i will ever be able to afford this, its still awesome

The TV is too big for me,but the girl is purrrrfict:love:

I don't really understand super big and expensive plasma Tv's, I thought everyone was going the projector route these days ?!

Passive or active shutter 3d?

well its not gonna be a plasma at that thickness, and with the vividness of the colours i would say led specially as LG and Samsung are pushing that format harder than most.

going by how thin it is and comparing it to the thickness of Samsung edge lit LED i would say its edge lit, its to thin not to be, unless that is LG have come up with a new type of screen, but thats unlikely as there has been no whisper's of any new tech regarding how pictures are displayed.

going by how thin it is and comparing it to the thickness of Samsung edge lit LED i would say its edge lit, its to thin not to be, unless that is LG have come up with a new type of screen, but thats unlikely as there has been no whisper's of any new tech regarding how pictures are displayed.
You're right - techradar also says it's edge lit (which I'm not sure is a good thing - wouldn't it have been better to have tons of LED zones on it?)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom