Lounge Home Cinema Project

gregster10217

Established Member
Reaction score
Have decided to do things properly, finally, after getting the thumbs up from the Mrs!!! With a little help from a friend 3 doors away, who has done this kind of thing previously, and Google sketch (what a programme) we'll be starting next weekend on this little project.
Floating wall will be 150cms wide x 120cms high mounted onto 34mm batons.

First picture shows the wall that the floating wall and TV will be mounted on. We kinda drew the outline of it all on the wall, much to her delight!! The main wall is going to be painted a Mulberry plum colour from the Dulux range, floating wall will be an off white or cream colour. White rope lighting around the back of the floating wall, controlled by a 'home easy' dimmer remote. The only minor problem I have is that the whole lot is going to be above a radiator, but we'll be attaching a shelf to the bottom of the floating wall which will hopefully take most of the heat away.
IMG_1381.jpg
Second and third pics show the room as it is now. I did consider trying to do a corner set up of some sort, but this way I get a more conventional room. The 'alcove' where all the work is being done is on the right of the picture, which can be seen in pics 3 & 4. (Sorry about the dog featuring in the pics!!!)
IMG_1380.jpg
IMG_1382.jpg
IMG_1379.jpg
The kit I've got is:
Panasonic TX32LXD52
Sky+ - soon to be Sky HD
Denon AVR 1706 amp
PS3
Sony DVD Recorder
Bose Accoustimass fronts and sub
KEF Q55.1 rear speakers
Philips Prestigo SRU 8015.

Not the most expensive set up and room for improvement, but it will do as a starting point. Will be enough room on the floating wall to increase TV size in the future.
Will post more pics as the work gets underway.
Thanks for your interest.

Last edited:
Painted the wall where the TV will hang yesterday and received most of the cables and TV bracket. The paint is Deep Aubergine from Dulux.

Really cannot decide now as to whether to paint the floating wall in the same colour, or paint it in a cream to contrast. My thoughts are to keep it the same, but any views would be appreciated. Will be starting the main bulk of the work on Saturday, even managed to blag an SDS drill bit long enough to go through my outside wall for the Sky connections from a nice Sky engineer!!

IMG_1383.jpg

Looks nice dude, do the wall the same colour!!!

arent you lucky having such a nice neighbour to help out :smashin::hiya:

Starting today with the kind help and guidance of Torn (search for his post on here)
Looking forward to doing and completing it. Decided that the floating wall will be the same colour as the rest.
Will post progress pics as we go.

Here we are, got quite a bit done today, considering that my 19 month old son was assisting!!!
First pic is some of the batons for the floating wall, got the bottom done later in the day.
IMG_1387.jpg
Second pic is Torn outside in the drizzle cutting the batons!!!
IMG_1388.jpg
Rope lights in place, we've drilled a hole through the bottom edge of the baton and inserted the rope light through to stop any light 'bleed' from the bottom. Only problem might come in the future if they go wrong - will be difficult to replace, but should manage!!!
IMG_1389.jpg
Floating wall up and level waiting to be primed and painted. Run some trunking behind the radiator to carry all the cables. Will also be attaching a 44 x 94 shelf to the bottom to help take away the heat from the radiator, and possibly to put the centre speaker on.
IMG_1390.jpg
Shot of the lights on at night, not a great pic but it does look great. Won't be using a dimmer anymore as the wall is dark enough to absorb the light. Got the 3 socket home easy set today though and loving the ease of use. Attached to 3 other lamps in the room, will have to get one more for the rope light though.
IMG_1391.jpg
Starting again in the morning with the difficult job of mounting the TV.
Will post more as we go through.
Thanks for looking, and massive thanks to Torn for his help.

Last edited:
Virtually got everything done today. :thumbsup: Only thing left is filling the screw holes, sanding them and the MDF, another coat of primer and then the top coat which will also be in Deep Aubergine.
Floating wall up with mounting bracket in place and cable hole cut. Speaker brackets for L and R attached.
IMG_1392.jpg
Test mount of LCD - it stayed in place!!!
IMG_1393.jpg
Mounting bracket support inside the floating wall. Set in place with no nails and 18 plasterboard fixings, it's not going anywhere!!!
IMG_1395.jpg
TV and speakers in place. Unfortunately the bracket can be seen when standing, but from the viewing position it's hidden. Without taking a hacksaw to it, it'll stay like that.
IMG_1397.jpg
Sky cable now through the wall. Second one runs upstairs.
IMG_1401.jpg
The rest of the cables and the mess. The cables from the TV and speakers run through some trunking behind the radiator and then along the wall.
IMG_1402.jpg
Finally, all in place and looking good. The shelf on the bottom will be painted gloss white.
IMG_1403.jpg
The AV gear all neatly stacked, and cables hidden behind.
IMG_1404.jpg
The whole set up from the viewing position.
IMG_1405.jpg
A shot with all of it in the dark - sorry no tripod.
IMG_1406.jpg

Will be looking to do the filling and painting during the week, work depending, but will post the final pics when it's all done.
Many thanks to Torn for his help, advice and time. This would have remained an idea in my head without him.
Thanks for your interest, any questions please ask.

Greg

Attachments

• IMG_1396.jpg
    IMG_1396.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 294
Been bad and not finished the wall yet (work and 20 month old boy running around not helped!)
Now looking to replace my 32" LCD with something a bit bigger. Looking at either the Sony 40W4500 or a Pioneer KRL 37V. Sony coming out on top at the moment for me with regards to specs, reviews and price and also is it worth only increasing in size by 5"?. Will probably wait until the New Year and sales and see what I can get either one for.
Wife and son away this weekend so will be finishing wall. Will post a final pic when done.

Last edited:
Nice pics and setup mate..
Good to see the different stages as you were doing it..

Its got me thinking about doing the same thing, i'm just pretty crap at DIY so i'd have to plan very carefully! Will show the mrs tonight and see how she reacts.. :rolleyes:

Looking good :smashin:. Just one bit of input i would add, Would it be better if you glossed the radiator the same colour as the wall to make it a bit easier on the eye. Nit criticizing just a thought. PS i have the Sony you mentioned & it is well worth the money. Good luck.

Sorry NBUK and topcourier, gave up looking for comments as no one seemed bothered, but appreciate yours.

NBUK - how did you get on with the Mrs? Let me know if you want any help, it really wasn't difficult, just a bit of measuring and cutting of wood.

topcourier - I did think about painting the radiator the same colour, but I really don't notice it now. The wife also likes it the way it is, so will probably stay that way. Changed my mind about the TV though! Went for a Panasonic TH42PZ80 plasma in the end. Lots of reasons, but overall, having seen them (Sony and Panny) together the Panny just edged it for me.

It is all finished now, has been since mid December, but waiting for new TV to arrive before putting up final pics.

The Mrs was semi-keen on the idea..
Told her if i'm gonna mount the screen and stuff anyway, I may aswell create the floating wall.

Do you know if I could use an adjustable mount for the tv rather than a static flat one? Something with an arm that you can pull out and swivel if need be.. I looked at loads of threads but everyone seems to use flat mounts which made me wonder..

Anything I do is going to be a very slow process at the mo, her at home has given me the nod to get a HC setup, and my budget is slowly rising (they have a nasty habit of doing that dont they! :rolleyes:)
Started off looking at something simple but now have my heart set on a B&W setup, inlcuding the pricey 684 floorstanders! :rolleyes:

Anyway post a pic when youve got it all done mate! :smashin:

I don't see a reason why you couldn't use a different wall mount, you'd just need to make sure the bolts/screws were strong enough and went deep enough so as not to cause a problem.
Keep going with your ideas, I was really struggling with where to place it as all of my stuff was originally in a corner, and it suddenly came to me one night - couldn't sleep after that!!!
Have a go at Google sketch )if you've not got it yet, free as well) and it will give you a good idea of the finished look and may even help convince the Mrs some more!!!!!
Bit of a delay with the plasma, but will get the pic up when it's done!

Thanks
Greg

IT'S FINISHED!!!!!
Completed yesterday with the addition of the Panasonic TH42PZ80. Absolutely chuffed with the finished result and the TV is simply stunning.

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

Sorry, still no tripod to get these spot on, but you get the idea.

sorry wrong thread

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom