look another false chimney with TV, and projector screen

Dominic

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought its about time I put a thread together to track the progress of my current DIY project. Having built a projector based lounge conversion about 5 years ago, I decided to finally put my 2 year old LCD TV on the wall. My wife also thought it would be good to add a fire into the mix when i mentioned the word chimney breast. So here goes, a false chimney and TV install.

This is the original lounge when i moved in, just bolted PJ to the ceiling and mini trunking for the cables
Picture074.jpg

Then I took the chimney down and replaced it with a cinema, eletric 86" screen with PTAE500 and the 6.1 keff Eggs....
DSCF3798.jpg

Right back to 2010, I decided to mount my 40" LCD on the wall, but also needed a false chimney to house a new fluless gas fire.
started with marking out the dimensions for the frame
P1070930.jpg

Then started making the frame:
P1070935.jpg

then added the centre speaker holder, need to make it high enough so that when the screen comes down it isnt over the speaker or the fire
P1070947.jpg

now added the frame surround for the TV and mounted the bracket, and also worked out where the fire can go.
P1070956.jpg

P1070961.jpg

next job is to get the plaster board out and start running some cables in.:)
P1070957.jpg

UPDATES:
Plasterboard is now on, and i have cut a slot in the ceiling to hide away my electric screen. Thats all wired in and working, just need to put in the plasterboard backboxes and i can put some cables in.

P1070963.jpg

P1070965.jpg

with the screen down.
P1070966.jpg

P1070967.jpg

next job, get the bead on then the plastering can commence

UPDATES:
Got some of these colour changing LED tubes delivered as per another thread on here, they are going behind the TV for a nice glow. They look really good, I have tested them out.
2x9" & 2x15" Home Theatre/Cinema Ambient LED Lighting on eBay (end time 06-Apr-10 15:10:44 BST)
Mounted the TV, cut the backbox's for the cables, had a damaged HDMI 3m lead:mad: out of the packet, so could only run one.
Also got the SKY HD installed Monday, to find out the new box doesnt have a componant out, just HDMI, SCART and COMPOSITE. What were Amstrad thinking putting analoge phono's on an HD box .. So now i cant plug my projector into SKY, well not until i get either a new receiver or new projector, or both, ;), time for a little look on projectorpoint me thinks...

anyway back to the room

I have put on 4 lenghts of beed ready for plastering on Monday, then its paint and coving and skirting. Finally my little brother can then fit the carpet.

I also have to make some oak cabinets to match the woodwork and house all the AV tin.

I had to put the lounge back to some sort of normaility for easter weekend.

P1070969.jpg

P1070970.jpg

P1070971.jpg

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
no photos today, still waiting for the plastering to go on tomorrow:thumbsup: cant wait. I have been busy installing some cables for my latest purchase, its projector upgrade time, on friday i bought an Epson TW3500 so cant wait for it to be delivered. So if anyone wants my dieing PTAE500....
But i had no hdmi in the ceiling from my original install 5 years ago.. funny that, i also had no easy way to get new cables there, because i cant take the floor up as its chipboard sheet, and i dont want to rip the ceiling down again and create mess and extra cost. So i have run 4 cat5e cables through the ceiling, into my bedroom above, as luck would have it the cables exit the floor under my bed, so i have routed 2 x 10mm wide gooves 5mm deep, from the exit point to the wall, where i have a route through the wall and into the loft, then from there over the loft to the outside wall and back in to where the current cables and amp etc sit.
All terminated and tested, i have also purchase the HDMI > CAT5 convertor, I think the run is only about 20m so should get 1080p no problem.. :D, this leaves me 2 spares, maybe one for a VGA convertor, and a spare. I already have Componant and S-Video going up there.. so have most signals covered.

Will post some more pictures when i get the plastering done and painted.
Need to work out the footprint of the TW3500 so i can see how to ceiling mount it and get my bracket ready...

Hey Dom,

Congrats on your project. Coming along very nicely I must say. :thumbsup:

Can i ask, does the speaker wire enter underneath the centre speaker? Do you have a close up pic?

I am doing a simliar project just now as well and I am almost certainly getting the KEF KHT2005.3s and just wanted to know the best way to run the cable. Also, what speaker wire are you using? Are they as good as everybody says?

Many thanks in advance.

Hey Dom-a-Dig-a-Dig-Dom (no idea where that came from)...

Looking forward to monitoring your progress.

I am in the process of acquiring different bits of kit as my wife and I want to move to a house rather than stay in our great flat that we are in at the moment but obviously when we move house money will probably be a bit tight so need to get as much kit before we move.

So although purchasing a projector/screen are a bit down the line I am still keen to look into it. Can you recommend any good sites or are the usual ones good - petertyson / weymouthhifi / etc????

Keep us updated - We will all be watching.

donjayok
thanks for the interest, the keff's are a very nice sound, they are perfect for the room, its about 3.8m wide by 4.5m long so they more than fill it with sound. I would and do recomend them for the money, ( just installed 2 sets of the 2005.3 in a mates house) As for the speaker wire I havent run the cable to the center yet, as i will run those in once the plaster goes on today. The cable i have for the other wall mounted eggs is the IXOS flat cable which is about 10mm wide, i have a couple of options for the centre in its new place, either through the base of the little recess and through the footplate of the speaker, or maybe through the back of the recess and straight onto the terminals, either one will mean the cable wont be seen. Next time i get the camera out i will take a close up. IF you havent seen the Eggs up close, they come with a rubber insert that when taken out of the footplate allows the cable to enter the speaker from the wall etc...

WeegieAVLover
thats a new one on the dom theme...lol:cool:
I tend to use the sites recomended here so Discounttv, tvcables etc, but my screen i bought from a local company supplying schools, so got a good deal as i traded in my old manual screen. I also look at local suppliers too, as they often match internet deals and you can get your hands on the kit before you commit the cash.. and always keep an eye on what richer sounds might have on offer.:smashin:

UPDATES:
All plastered now, looks really good, just cant wait for it to dry fully so i can paint it.

donjayok, here is a close up of the cable for the wall mounted keff, coming through the gromet hole :cool:

P1070974.jpg

plastering done

P1070976.jpg

P1070977.jpg

And today, my TW3500 turned up. I got my router out and turned a bit of MDF into the mounting plate for the projector. Using my old ceiling mount its now bolted up. Even the 12v trigger works ( had to enable it in the menu) and drops the screen, just got it bolted up, and what a bit of luck the ITVHD was showing the MAN U game. I was blown away by the performance of this projector. It is stunning, sharp and crisp,very quiet and bright too. dont think my photo's do it justice one bit, not with my camera on AUTO ;)

P1070982.jpg

P1070981.jpg

just need to get the fire surround and screen plate made, and need to get some paint on the new plaster and get the coving and skirting on. Its getting close now.:clap:

Hey Dom,

I decided not to go for the 2005.3s after all, instead I went for the Kef 8005 sound bar system http://www.kef.com/en/SurroundSound/KHT/8005 A work collegue showed me it and I loved it. I showed the wife and she loved it too. 5 mins later it was bought! :D

Thanks for posting the pic though, its still good to know things like that, so hopefully I can pass it on to someone else in future. :smashin:

Your room looks awesome though, especially the projector bet you cant wait till its finished. :thumbsup:

Hey Dom,

I decided not to go for the 2005.3s after all, instead I went for the Kef 8005 sound bar system KEF International A work collegue showed me it and I loved it. I showed the wife and she loved it too. 5 mins later it was bought! :D

Thanks for posting the pic though, its still good to know things like that, so hopefully I can pass it on to someone else in future. :smashin:

Your room looks awesome though, especially the projector bet you cant wait till its finished. :thumbsup:

not seen that before, that looks very nice, also very useful if you need to get sign off from the wife to keep the number of boxes on the wall to a minimum, bet it sounds fantastic with the drivers and raditators for each channel, those KUBE subs work really well too, ( set both a Kube1 and kube2 recently ).

Cheers.

sjdeighton - thanks chap, will keep on it...:)

Dom

UPDATES
Tonight I got the paint out, DULUX Rich Praline1 in matt finish. 2 coats, the rest of the room is DULUX Almond white in matt, makes a really sharp contrast and gives that cinema look. The telly back on the wall. The LED's are much softer now, which i like, just need to order 2 more 9" tubes for the top of the telly.
Coving should be going up tomorrow, and the skirting the weekend, I need to make some, as its solid oak at 120mm with a 5mm bullnose, unfortunately its not stock, and the nearest size is 190x20mm, so out with the router at the weekend :mad:
P1070987.jpg

close up,
P1070988.jpg

with the flash on.
P1070986.jpg

so nearly there, next job is coving and skirting. Then i need to concentrate on moving the projector mount back 6" to let the image fill the screen.

Nice setup so far.

What are you going to use to trim the edging around the plasterboard at ceiling level where the screen drops from the ceiling?

UPDATES
Tonight I got the paint out, DULUX Rich Praline1 in matt finish.

Looks very smart, does this colour have a brown tint to it as it look's like it in the picture above or is it a black based colour - Praline would say brown to me but just curious as i am thinking of painting the front of my cinema with something a little different and this looks pretty smart :)

UPDATES
Tonight I got the paint out, DULUX Rich Praline1 in matt finish. 2 coats, the rest of the room is DULUX Almond white in matt, makes a really sharp contrast and gives that cinema look.

All these paint colours sound nuts to me ........ I will get my coat ;)

Nice setup so far.

What are you going to use to trim the edging around the plasterboard at ceiling level where the screen drops from the ceiling?

Phil, good point, a friend of mine is a fabricator in the aviation game, the plan is a brushed steel letterbox about 200mm x 2.2m long with a little slit in it, i will then adjust the limit switch for the screen when it returns and leave it just inside the slit. ( if its too reflective i might have to get it anodised black..), but in the brushed finish it will match the rest of the ceiling furniture, and my futronix light switch...
He is also going to make me a steel back plate to reflect the heat away from the chimney into the room) just need to get my drawings to him and it can be made.

inzaman
thanks for the comments,
The praline is actually a brown base colour, they dont stock it off the shelf in B&Q, i had to get it mixed, even the test pot.. I used to have a dulux chocolate colour on that wall and by comparison this colour is so much darker the old one was more red/orange, this one is very dark and even in daylight still has depth, but it is brown, very brown ( matches the chocolate leather sofa much better.)
It makes a real statement, and films either on the small or big screen just really stand out.

cheers

Dom

All these paint colours sound nuts to me ........ I will get my coat ;)

nice, not thought of that, might have to put a disclaimer on the door, "caution may contian nuts":smashin:

UPDATES
solid oka skirting is now on, had to match the original stuff with some new, had to router a 5mm pencil round on some stock 150x25mm oak.

I have been busy moving the projector back 700mm so the image fills the screen, so carpet up in the bedroom and inspection holes and drilling, followed by some filling sanding and painting. Today i have been making some solid oak units. I have made a few pieces of furniture arround the house so rather than try and find something to fit I decided to make my own. I am using glue laminated 250mm x 35mm oak, i have biscuit jointed it to make 500mm wide sections, a photo here of the work in progress.

P1070999.jpg

using a biscuit joiner to glue and secure the sides. thought i would go for the end grain look on the sides. i am quite pleased with the results. Quickly stuffed some kit in the unit, even though its all got to come out for the carpet change sometime this week.
P1080004.jpg

P1080005.jpg

P1080006.jpg

coving going on tomorrow, carpet this week hopefully :clap:

Hi Dom

thats a really great install!
I take it you install home cinema's for a living?
If you don't then I think you should lol!

I'm a sparks and looking to get involved in home cinema
installations do you have any tips?
I've been looking into taking the cedia course
in your opinion do think its worth it

cheers.

Hi Dom

thats a really great install!
I take it you install home cinema's for a living?
If you don't then I think you should lol!

I'm a sparks and looking to get involved in home cinema
installations do you have any tips?
I've been looking into taking the cedia course
in your opinion do think its worth it

cheers.

alsy

Thanks for the kind words, but I don’t actually install them for a living :D, I have done a couple of installs for friends and family, and this is the second time this room has been done.
I think it’s because I can do most things DIY, I will have a go at anything practical, I also have mates in different trades so can easily get access to tips and advice.
I would love to get involved in this for a living, very satisfying to "create" something, but I need to pay the mortgage and keep a family, not sure I could make the jump.
So based on that I couldn’t advise specifically on the cedia course, what I would say though, if you enjoy installing home cinema and the work is there, and you have an option to gain accreditation then seriously look into it.
I am a trained IT professional, and beyond the exams and the certification it provides employers a better understanding of your skills and aptitude. :smashin:
And you can’t beat getting paid for doing something you enjoy

Hi Dom

Thank's for the replie and advice

Look forward to seeing your next project

cheers.

UPDATES:
Coving went on this week, all painted, and screen wall has had another coat... Finished off the second cabinet to house the Kef sub, i wanted to keep the dimensions the same to match the equipment rack, but this meant the shelf would be right through the middle of the sub, so the wife said, " just cut the shelf to fit round it.... sounded silly, actually works:clap:
Sub sounds much better now with the downfiring sub now standing on a nice solid oak cabinet ( 35mm thick). It has improved the "punch" to the bass.

P1080028.jpg

and showing both of the cabinets, with the right hand one disecting the sub
P1080031.jpg

showing the coving, screen slit,
P1080030.jpg

carpet and curtains this week, oh and another coat on the ceiling, now the coving looks nice and bright white...:mad:... oh and must get round to ordering 2 more LED tubes for the top of the TV.....

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom