BloodyNora it's another Garage Conversion

bloodynora

Established Member
Reaction score
It ONLY started with an idea to get the garage ceiling insulated as our bedroom was above and unbearable in the winter - though it's been 10 years like this:D

My new vision is inspired by many of the builds on this forum but won't be as highly spec'd and will have to be TV/Family room - plus I'm using a DIY manual!!

Some of you may have seen the Sketchup I threw out when I was in "research" mode (http://www.avforums.com/forums/10302345-post1.html). It's quickly progressed with some hiccups and additional budget. The more I read these forums the more I want to spend!! It's AMAZING how quickly you can jump from a £300 amp to £500 and not blink!!

So here's a few pictures when it was piled with junk. First week was clearing junk out, ceiling pulled down and new partition wall go up. This week has seen the celotex come and concrete go down for which help was needed...oh also using cutout to position the 50".

More pics when progress made over the weekend...or maybe tonight.

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 894
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 840
  • DSC_0017.jpg
    DSC_0017.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 803
  • DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 778
  • DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 886
  • DSC_0033.jpg
    DSC_0033.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 817
  • DSC_0040.jpg
    DSC_0040.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 965
Last edited:
if you want my advice

STOP!!!! :eek:

before you get in too deep or you`ll never have any money, ever, and you `ll have to get divorced as her indoors will hate you.

But maybe thats not a bad thing as you will have a great cinema room to show all yer mates :D

So don`t take my advice, no one else does anyway and heres to you building a cinema room to die for ;)

keep the pics coming or we`ll come and get you :devil:

shall we have a race to completion...
keep the updates coming.:thumbsup:

:rotfl: tea down..gloves on...GO!

Have my cables ready and once I have stopped cooing I can lay them...that doesn't sound right:D

Attachments

• dsc_0069.jpg
    dsc_0069.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 260
:rotfl: tea down..gloves on...GO!

Have my cables ready and once I have stopped cooing I can lay them...that doesn't sound right:D

no.. but we know what you mean :D now get on with it and stop posting here until the cables are run, not laid and the pics are ready to post ;)

shall we have a race to completion...
keep the updates coming.:thumbsup:

Bloodnora has a head start, he has a finished house to build in :rolleyes:

Some of us are still trying to finish ours, even if we only started the build 2 weeks ago:D

Keep up the good building and install those cables

Darren

Even with a head start it's a pain!!

Materials arriving faster than I can use it - bad planning on my part. However, wiring for ceiling spots, insulation and boards went up yesterday - again help needed to do this. Ceiling will be finished today after lunch.

BTW if anyone can help with my question on the below thread then that would be great.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/10914322-post198.html

Attachments

• DSC_0047.jpg
    DSC_0047.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 436
  • DSC_0048.jpg
    DSC_0048.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 429
OK more progress though a bit depressed as building control hassling me about a foundation (see link in previous post about replacing garage door) ...anyway...

Ceiling skimmed and lights in. I decided to put 11 lights on 2 circuits so I can dim the front or the back separately.

We also had some new windows put in at the same time I had the plasterer in - boy was that fun!!

Tomorrow is decision day once I dig out an inspection hole under garage door - either there is foundation and I can put a wall up or there is no foundation and I'm in trouble:(

Back to my :beer: - I need it!!

Attachments

• DSC_0075.jpg
    DSC_0075.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 435
  • DSC_0080.jpg
    DSC_0080.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 424
  • DSC_0085.jpg
    DSC_0085.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 548
OK more progress though a bit depressed as building control hassling me about a foundation (see link in previous post about replacing garage door) ...anyway...

Ceiling skimmed and lights in. I decided to put 11 lights on 2 circuits so I can dim the front or the back separately.

We also had some new windows put in at the same time I had the plasterer in - boy was that fun!!

Tomorrow is decision day once I dig out an inspection hole under garage door - either there is foundation and I can put a wall up or there is no foundation and I'm in trouble:(

Back to my :beer: - I need it!!

Good so far but good luck with the building inspectors. I am sure it will be ok as they often want to make sure that the foundations can take the weight of more building on top of the garage now its become part of the living area.

Anyway there is always compromise in these situations so try and not worry too much mate:thumbsup:

Thanks Dr. Force! I know the building inspectors are on my side and I certainly don't want long term subsidence issues...or worse :)

Will provide update tomorrow

Woo hoo - foundation found and I can build a wall straight onto it. :clap:

Virgin V+ arrived and the guy used a coax I had already run for future proofing...the future arrived sooner than I expected:D

Pic 1: So, I've installed/run MG component, hdmi and spkr cables behind the utility wall. This way if I ever need to remove cabes then I can demolish a bit of the utility wall only rather than main room walls.

Pic 2/3: TV/PJ Wall boarded. I REALLY wanted to move the alarm panel (top right of the wall) but plasterer needed to complete work and decided to finish wall :mad: I now need to get someone to move alarm panel (which is proving very difficult) and then he'll have to patch that area for free. I don't understand his logic at all:facepalm:

Today - have got someone to remove garage door and build wall with window. I turn a year older tomorrow so going out for a well deserved drink and meal with the fam.

Attachments

• DSC_0101.jpg
    DSC_0101.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 452
  • DSC_0107.jpg
    DSC_0107.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 419
  • DSC_0110.jpg
    DSC_0110.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 501
Looks like you are going to be busy :)

If you have not already done so and it's not too late I would suggest to install two or ideally three lengths of network cable to your projector and TV. Cat 6 ideally.

You never know what you might need in the future and with Cat 6 there will always be a way to send anything along it.

Mark.

Yes a bit too busy!! I have got Cat cables to my TV and do actually need to get a longer cable from TV to PJ this weekend.

Luckily the inside work has stopped whilst the front wall get's demolished and another is built with window.

Pictures to be uploaded later.

Builder has finished the front wall - this was definitely not planned but starting to take shape so feeling happier. Last picture has old garage door placed over gap where new window will go.

Snow due Wednesday but don't think I'll have window in place...brrrrrr!

Attachments

• DSC_0115.jpg
    DSC_0115.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 530
  • DSC_0117.jpg
    DSC_0117.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 483
  • DSC_0120.jpg
    DSC_0120.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 507
  • DSC_0132.jpg
    DSC_0132.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 520
A number of weeks on and much cold weather are you done?

Know what you mean about them building inspectors as i had no foundation so the builders used a lintal

DrH

Dr H - Thanks for prompting me!

Had so many ups and down that it drained the excitement right out of me!! Have now sealed the room with a window, and it's sooooooo warm it's lovely.

Fed up with dust but we should be getting the flooring installed in a few weeks. Bit of sanding and whitewashing this weekend

Attachments

• DSC_0140.jpg
    DSC_0140.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 407
  • DSC_0198-1.jpg
    DSC_0198-1.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 431
  • DSC_0165.jpg
    DSC_0165.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:
Hey Bladster,

Thanks for the wishes.

I did have a great plan for a Panasonic P50V10, Denon 1910, Q Acoustics 2000, and Epson tw3500 or Sanyo plz700. However, V10 is RIP so I am now thinking just get PJ until 2010 Panny's come out... of course, I need to finish room else stuff will just sit around!

So, this weekend:
- prime/gloss woodwork
- final coat on ceiling so I can pop lights back in. It does look quite artistic with spots in plastic bags hanging down:rotfl:
- paint coving

Picture show the floor screed done during the week and that's taken care of the dust too! Wooden floor and blinds should arrive in 2-3 weeks.

I'm off to Las Vegas next week so this will slow progress down even further!!

Attachments

• DSC_0204.jpg
    DSC_0204.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 335
  • DSC_0208.jpg
    DSC_0208.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 335
  • DSC_0210.jpg
    DSC_0210.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 342
  • DSC_0206.jpg
    DSC_0206.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 320
looking good, know what you mean about kit, I was planning on getting the in focus and then the whole country was sold out the day i ordered. I went for the Z700 sanyo and cant complain its really crisp easy to use and setup and looks great. Check out Avitav for a good deal, guy spent most of the day talking me through all the options after they broke my heart selling out of the infocus, even a nice deal as they couldn't fulfil the order.

You're a little ahead of me now, but good luck almost at the finish line.

J

Last edited:
Facial: I am clearly no expert at this so please check with one before you do yours!

This was my initial approach. You can see the dpm and then joists on top. One of the things with this approach is that you constantly have to check for uneven floor and how much the whole structure wobbles. Usually small wooden wedges (and I'm sure there's a technical term for these) have to be pushed/hammered in.

We were going to leave the garage door and just block the whole thing inside with pb and insulation. BC put a stop to the floor and had to go down the current route (3rd picture)

BN

Attachments

• DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 469
  • DSC_0024.jpg
    DSC_0024.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 419
  • DSC_0028.jpg
    DSC_0028.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 410
Hi mate, just a question about the flooring. Why did you have to change from the wooden structure? and what is the stuff thats going down instead?

I cleared our garage out the weekend so that i can get an idea of space as we are going to convert it very soon (hopefully in time for the world cup). Just gotta start getting quotes for the work now, this is the part i am dreading.

Keep posting the pics.

Martin

Hi mate, just a question about the flooring. Why did you have to change from the wooden structure? and what is the stuff thats going down instead?

Hi Martin,

BC said that we would get condensation under the DPM sheet in a years time and would start smelling. ONLY way we could keep joists was either to have 6" clearance under joists which would mean digging existing concrete floor OR raise the wooden joist structure up by 6" which means we would step up into the new room. Neither were sensible options for us!

So, the option we went for was - existing Concrete floor, DPM sheet, Polystyrene insulating floor boards (what you see in picture), concrete layer on top, screed to level. I have to say with all the cold weather recently, the floor was nice and warm! Others on the forum have just laid flooring on top of the polystyrene boards so that is an option.

Remember, double whatever quote you get to understand full spend!! I have just got back from Las Vegas and I need a week to recover before painting starts :)

Right, decided progress was much needed and have been busy over the weekend:
1) final coats on Ceiling painted and lights put back - SO nice not to have them in plastic bags!!
2) Coving primed
3) Utility room whitewashed
4) Colour for TV wall and other walls decided - thank you to this forum!

Attachments

• DSC_0212.jpg
    DSC_0212.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 319

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom