Amplifier for Kef iQ50 and Squeezebox touch

philvella

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm rather out of of touch with stereo amplifiers and need some help with a new system for my lounge.

Source: Squeezebox Touch (FLAC from attached hard drive)

Speakers: Likely to be Kef iQ50 as my wife is quite taken by the look of them and due to placement we should probably go for a front ported design. Other suggestions are very welcome as we will demo speakers and my wife will hopefully ultimately go for what sounds best.

Amp: HELP! I was thinking of spending up to £300 of £400 and am happy to look at second hand to get more bang for my buck. My only requirement is the ability to be controlled by a remote control as the amp will be in a cupboard and controlled with a Keene IR extender.

It would be good to stay within a £1000 total budget for SB, speakers and amp.

I look forward to some words of wisdom!

This is a difficult question to ask, and to answer, but are you looking for a high quality amp, a high value amps, or an amp at the intersect of quality and value?

Premium quality amps like Arcam and similar, tend to be expensive, have low but adequate power, and tend to be short on features. That probably seems odd, that you get less with a better amps, but the lack of bells and whistles is more than made up in absolute quality. As an example, amps like this typically don't have tone controls.

Consumer brands like Cambridge, Marantz, NAD, and similar tend to be at the intersect of quality and value. They offer more power and more features while still maintaining high quality.

There are some value amps that are still good quality and offer an outstanding array of features for a very reasonable and modest price.

Then there are the hyper-value amps, which are typically way too much amp for way too little money. I tend to stay away from these, though for someone on a starvation budget, who is not too discerning, these can be a good workable budget first amp.

For you, given your budget, and for new amps, I would recommend something in the Consumer Range, which are a good blend of value and quality.

Is their any way you can push your amp budget up to around £600, because there are some really good amps on discount right now in that range?

Two that spring to mind are the Cambridge Audio 840A, 120w/ch, for £599 (Normally £799), and the Marantz PM8003, 70w/ch, for £599 (normally £750 to £850). Both top of the line, and both at a £200 or more discount.

Another worth consideration would be the Rotel RA-06SE with 70w/ch for £570. As an alternative to the suggested Rotel, in a higher quality amp, consider the Rotel RA-1520 with 60w/ch for £695.

Also, the NAD C356 with 80w/ch, for £599.

Down in your budget range -

Cambridge Audio 740A, 100w/ch, Silver or Black, Limited Supply, £299 (being replaced by the 750A)
Cambridge Audio 650A, 75w/ch, Silver or Black, new model, £349
Cambridge Audio 550A, 60w/ch, Silver or Black, new model, £299
(RicherSounds.com)

Yamaha AS500, 85w/ch, £296 (SuperFi.co.uk & others) (excellent value)

Marantz PM 7003, 70w/ch, £438 (HiFiGear.co.uk)

In very high value amps, but still acceptable quality -

Harman Kardon HK3490, 120w/ch, Digital Inputs, AM/FM, £269 (SuperFi.co.uk)

The digital inputs on this amp would give you an additional option for connecting your TOUCH. You could connect by either analog or digital. Since the amp has its own internal DAC, you could use which ever one sounded best. Also, the Digital input could be used to stream digital audio from your TV for watching videos with high quality sound.

Harman Kardon HK980, integrated amp, 80w/ch, £299 (SuperFi.co.uk)

There are a few in on the Forums that have this amp and are very pleased with it.

And extremely few left in stock, but an outstanding bargain in the NAD C355, which is last years model, 80w/ch, typically selling for £450, in limited supply at Richer Sounds for £269 -

Nad C355BEE Titanium | Stereo Amplifier | Richer Sounds

Finally, are there any requirement you might have left out. For example, do you need a Phono input for a turntable? Do you need to connect the TV to the stereo, because that has some considerations of its own?

In my opinion, this is probably the best selection of amps in or near your price range in new amps.

In used amps, you are limited to whatever might be available at the time. You can check the For Sale section of this forum for equipment that has been well cared for, and from reasonably reliable sources.

If at all possible, it is well with considering the first list of amps I posted; the ones costing £600. All excellent bargains, all well under the standard selling price. Though the Rotel are only slightly discounted; yet, they are considered very high quality amps.

That should at least give you a few things to consider.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Wow, amazingly detailed response, thanks BlueWizard :thumbsup:

Consumer brands are definitely for me, the HK amps just seem to do too much for the money.

As temping as the £600 options are there is no way that I can justify it having bought a full 5.1 set-up relatively recently (see signature).

Of Cambridge Audio, Marantz, NAD and Yamaha which are best suited to Kef iQ50s? Would MA BR5 be a better option (tempting at £250 at the moment)? I guess what I am asking is if Kef and MA are bright, neutral or warm speakers and the same for CA, Marantz, NAD and Yamaha amps.

I went through my teens listening to my parents Arcam Alpha 8 system so I think that means I have got used to a warm sound but I though it sometimes lacked 'punch'. I listen to Stereophonics / U2 / Muse / classical.

My aim is to end up with something that sounds much better than my 5.1 system for music. I don't intend to link it up to a TV or turntable etc.

What I'm about to say is no more than my opinion formed from Internet rumors.

I would say the NAD, Marantz, and Yamaha are going to be a trace on the warm side. I suspect the NAD is real solid on the low end.

The Cambridge are likely just a taste on the bright side, but by no means extreme.

I don't know how much weight I give to the rumors of Bright/Neutral/Warm associated with certain amps. For example, does 'warm' mean too much bass, or does it mean not enough treble? Or does it mean a softness in the midrange? Or, could it mean both, depending on the specific amp being rated 'warm'? Conversely, does 'bright' mean too much treble, or does it mean not enough bass.

In general, all amps are made to work with all speakers, with a few exotic exceptions. All amp makers are striving very hard to make neutral amps, the problem is, it gets down to someone's opinion of what neutral means when it comes to determining if they have achieved that goal.

I'm not familiar with the specific 'bright/neutral/warm' reputation of the Kef speakers, but Monitor Audio are considered a trace on the bright side. Though that is extremely variable and related to the individual. Some people think they sound fine, some people thing they are bright, some think they have no bass, some think they have too much bass. I think it is far more related to the individual listening than to the speakers themselves.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks, plenty to think about there.
Time for a demo or two to try and narrow it down.

Any other opinions always welcome!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom