The Higgs Boson

Reaction score
The Higgs boson, named after the Edinburgh University physicist Peter Higgs, who proposed it in 1964, has become the most sought-after particle in modern science and its discovery is a major focus of research at the LHC.

Discovery of the particle would be proof of an invisible energy field that fills the vacuum of space. Without it, or something to do its job, there would be no stars, planets or life as we know it.

According to theory, the Higgs field switched on a trillionth of a second after the big bang that flung the universe into existence. Before this moment, all of the particles in the universe were massless and zipped around at the speed of light.

When the Higgs field switched on, it changed the future of the universe. Particles such as the quarks and electrons that make up normal matter felt a "drag" from the field, which manifests itself as mass. The more a particle feels the field, the heavier it becomes. Some particles, like photons, pass through the field untouched, and so remain massless and move at the speed of light.

The date today is the 4th July 2012 - and a very big announcement is expected from those involved in looking for this particle.

I wonder if they can now confirm its existence?

I just farted, is that worthy?

Graham27 said:
Unless you emitted a particle, or created a black hole.

Ahem.

I think if he emitted a particle, potty training is required.

Indeed. And if he created a black hole, I'd recommend a proctologist rather than a physicist.

Although Brian Cox might be able to explain it in layman's terms.

the official announcement is at 8 am

I will be checking back here at 0805.....

"It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together". Best description of the Higgs Boson that I've heard....

May the Force be with you.

... Hold on - it's July the 4th. :)

/Early morning coat

just heard the announcement could be up to 2 hours long and is being webcast from CERN

Well according to what I heard just on radio 4, two different teams have come up with virtually identical results which indeed confirm that a previously unobserved particle exists where they think the Higgs boson should be. It looks like the probability that it exists is now much more than it does not making the standard model an even more likely description of the universe than any theistic model..!

It looks like the probability that it exists is now much more than it does not making the standard model an even more likely description of the universe than any theistic model..!

I dont want to derail the thread into a God vs Science debate but proof positive of a scientific theory is not proof negative of a theistic view. Discovery of a 'God particle' does not negate the possibility that there is a God.

Very interesting news though, will be nice to hear everything confirmed :)

It's incredibly exciting, all the evidence so far points towards it but those pesky scientists want to prove it before they announce it.

Why don't they just tell us it exists and when challenged shout "blasphemer". :devil:

Does this discovery mean we can now instantaniously travel to any part of the Universe

...so does this mean now they have discovered it all the worlds religions will now disband?

Surely the fact we know how the universe came to be in existence by its very nature proves beyond doubt there is no god...

I am sure they will have an excuse for what has been discovered...

It's incredibly exciting, all the evidence so far points towards it but those pesky scientists want to prove it before they announce it.

Why don't they just tell us it exists and when challenged shout "blasphemer". :devil:
Heh, you make it sound like an episode from ScoobyDoo...

GOD: "...and I would have gotten away with it too if it hadn't been for you meddling scientists".

:devil: :p :D

S.

...so does this mean now they have discovered it all the worlds religions will now disband?

Surely the fact we know how the universe came to be in existence by its very nature proves beyond doubt there is no god...

I am sure they will have an excuse for what has been discovered...

probably that its just 6000 year old dinosaur poo.

Ahh, particle physicists, the Spice Girls of science.

The Spice Girls make a lot of noise and hit the headlines around the world.
Particle physicists "see" a lot of electronic noise and hit the headlines around the world.

Tell me when they do something useful.:boring:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom