New Optoma ThemeScene HD82 On The Way

stubie_do

Established Member
Reaction score
The NEW! Optoma ThemeScene HD82 should be out in about 2/3 weeks time and about time to :thumbsup:

Details and specs are a little sketchy at the moment but its DLP with lens shift :smashin:

So far all I know is as follows:

1080p DC3 DMD
1200 Lumens
Horizontal and vertical lens shift
20000:1 Contrast Ratio
Throw Ratio 1.495 ~2.28:1
MSRP £2999.95

More news to follow

God. when will it end i have only got 150 hours on my hd80 now this has to come out,can i really upgrade again

God. when will it end i have only got 150 hours on my hd80 now this has to come out,can i really upgrade again

There will always be something better coming all the time. It is best to get the most out of your current pj and then upgrade in a few generations time when the specs are even better.

Nice contrast ratio.

The NEW! Optoma ThemeScene HD82 should be out in about 2/3 weeks time and about time to :thumbsup:

Details and specs are a little sketchy at the moment but its DLP with lens shift :smashin:

So far all I know is as follows:

1080p DC3 DMD
1200 Lumens
Horizontal and vertical lens shift
20000:1 Contrast Ratio
Throw Ratio 1.495 ~2.28:1
MSRP £2999.95

More news to follow

Fantastic news, just what I have been waiting for, time to retire my trusty HD72 and go full HD :clap::clap:

Thanks

I hope they learn from their mistakes on the 80 and 81 ! I had 2 Optomas previously

Noisy, data PJ based chassis, poor or no 1080P/24 implementation, almost zero lenshift and a huge offset.

I had 2 Optomas previously and had an 81 for a few days , the PQ was great but all the negatives really let it down. It went back and was replaced with an HD1. My understanding was they rushed an ex data PJ to market as a home cinema unit and got it badly wrong - fingers crossed !

I too hope this is implemented correctly i have a H78 and have been wondering when 1080 DLPs have been coming to market to compete with LCD and LCOS and have the same flexible features - especially lens shift, i think it was the 80 and 81 that had no placement flexibility whatsover :rolleyes:

I have been really pleased with both my H30 and HD72, which is why I was waiting for Themescene to bring out a new 1080p model, as I didn't like the auto-iris function on the HD80, I hope so much that they haven't done the same again or that it is at least an option to turn it off......

Cheers

certainly look a more stella effort. 690 Ansi CR. thats nice.

Looks like a proper replacment for the H79.

I also hope they do it in white, the wallet police would not be happy otherwise:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers

Spec wise it seems good, but I couldnt put up with its appearance on my ceiling. At least the HD80 looks good, nice shape and a colour that blends with most walls and ceilings so I hope that Optoma has other colour options at least.

Well well. the reports coming out of CES seem to indicate that Optoma may of got things right this time. Projector is bigger by the way as the old design would not fit the dynamic black system so a redesign was needed. Wing one of the designers has also said that some units are putting out almost 700:1 ANSI CR (info from Tom Guitarmen).

One report from one viewer from CES Show (Chris Dallas)

"I saw the 8200 and I thought it was amazing great depth, lots of punch and great blacks. Not as good as the RS20 blacks but good non the less. I think this PJ is not that far behind from the Lumis and believe that Sim2 has some serious competition with this PJ"

I think that is high praise indeed.

Last edited:
The HD80 (predecessor which I have ) has an unfortunately big offset which Optoma's specs state as 136%- but I think its a very respectable image.

The offset of the HD82 is 105 - 130 %. This is ceiling mountable even with a very long throw, unlike the HD80.

The offset at 5m (using least lenshift) would be only 6.2 cm ie. if you have the projector ceiling mounted, the top of the screen would have to be 6.2 cm beneath the center of the lens. Here's how I worked it out :

TR of HD8200 is 2.28:1 (at zero zoom).

At 5m throw, the image width is 2.20m, image height is 1.24m.

With least lenshift, offset is 105%. (105-100)% x image height (1.24m)= 6.2cm.

This PJ is a 6 segment colour wheel. the HD80 was 7 segment and 6x wheel speed. I wonder what speed this PJ is ?

Last edited:
I'm definitely interested in this as a replacement to my HD79.

I can't see any mention of expected bulb life. I would hope it would be 3000 hours rather than 2000 hours. Having said that the HD79 never lasted 2000 hours for me so I guess it's academic!

Here are HD8200 specs I found from AVS forum.

sc00388ac9.jpg

sc0038aa7b.jpg

Guys, the HD8200 and HD82 are identical, just a name change for the Uk machine. No full specs available but picture quality is very good and we should have a review sample very soon.
As has been linked above, we covered the Optoma stand at CES.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom