Going to safari- what Nikon lens?

nikonuser11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to hire a very decent Nikon zoom lens equivalent to the canon L series but I don't know whats good or bad, can you advise a good reach (up to 400) with tack sharpness for the day?
Thanks

The Nikon 200-400 f4 VR would be worth considering. I have not used it but it is on my "windfall" list ;)

...would need to be a bloody strong wind..... :p

Jim

Mike.P®;12454803 said:
Just take a couple less holidays next year John. :smashin:

Then I wouldn't need the lens! :p

£4500 and a little bit massive. If you can switch to canon and get the 100-400mm and a wide angle lens. Or if you want to stick with nikon get a 70-200mm VR and a 2x teleconverter, that would give you a VERY sharp, quick autofocus, and lightweight lens (lightweight compared to the 200-400mm)

£4500 and a little bit massive. If you can switch to canon and get the 100-400mm and a wide angle lens. Or if you want to stick with nikon get a 70-200mm VR and a 2x teleconverter, that would give you a VERY sharp, quick autofocus, and lightweight lens (lightweight compared to the 200-400mm)

not likely after just coming from canon and buying a D90 :laugh:

;)
Mike.P®;12455141 said:
You mean there are people out there thay buy a new lens purely because they NEED it. :eek:

Well, now that you mention it :blush:

Note to the other replies re the cost of the lens, the OP is only after renting one for a day.

i BEG your pardon?!?!? :laugh:

I went on the safari in Feb this year to Kenya and instead purchased the Sigma 150-500. This may not be the fastest lens in the world but for the price, gave me the range I needed. The photos were superb. Also, on the safari, you are more or less likely to be out during good light so speed should not be an issue.. One thing I should have bought which I did not realise was a small bean bag to rest the lens on... what ever you do, take one of those...

If you are hiring, I would also suggest the 70-200 VR II and the 2x TC.

Strobe If you have any sample shots taken with that combo I would like to see them as I am strongly considering by the latest 2x TC to go with 70-200.

Strobe If you have any sample shots taken with that combo I would like to see them as I am strongly considering by the latest 2x TC to go with 70-200.

seems a good option, his sig though says he doesnt have one, maybe some on flikr

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom