Sony RDRHXD870 Multiregion Hack

yozzer

Standard Member
Reaction score
thinking of buying the sony RDRHXD870 DVD recorder
has anyone an opinion on this,
might buy it on saturday if i do has any one got the region crack code

there are 2 threads just below this one where owners have given their opinions on it, have a look in them and see what you make of it.

Go for it ! The region hack is well documented on these forums.

Sony RDR-HXD770, 870, 970, 1070 MultiRegion Hack

Laptop Hack
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5234636&postcount=15

Remote Hack

I went to Argos and bought the One for all 6 (URC 7562)
Catalogue code 535/6209 £19.99

The user manual was wrong because it tells you to enter a 3 digit code when it only accepts 5 digits.
If you have another one for all remote, it may need the 3 digit codes, simply use the 5 digit codes below but remove the first two 0. So 00189 would be 189

If I say the DVD button blinks twice, it must do this, if it does not you must try the sequence again and again until it does blink twice.

prepare:
1. select dvd device on remote
2. hold magic button until the DVD button blinks twice
3. enter device code 0533 (DVD button blinks twice)

program buttons 1..5 with the following codes:

1 - 00189
2 - 00255
3 - 00095
4 - 00221
5 - 00079

1. hold magic button until the DVD button blinks twice
2. press 994 (DVD button blinks twice)
3. press magic
4. enter 5 digit code from above
5. press button (1..5) where to program it (DVD button blinks twice)
6. repeat steps 1 to 5 for all keys.

This hack only works if you change the command mode to "1" on the dvd player FIRST (see user manual = page 149). Once hack has been completed, you can change back to command mode "3", if necessary. Of course you need to set both the DVD player and the orginal DVD player remote to command mode "1". After making it region free you can change them to command mode "2", "3" or leave it on "1"

have a go:
1. remove disk, put player on standby
2. press 1,2,3,4,5 - player starts up.
3. press 1,2,3,4,5 - player shuts down and it says timer ok.

Laptop Hack

Remote Hack

The user manual was wrong because it tells you to enter a 3 digit code when it only accepts 5 digits.
If you have another one for all remote, it may need the 3 digit codes, simply use the 5 digit codes below but remove the first two 0. So 00189 would be 189

If I say the DVD button blinks twice, it must do this, if it does not you must try the sequence again and again until it does blink twice.

prepare:

1 - 00189
2 - 00255
3 - 00095
4 - 00221
5 - 00079

3. press magic

This hack only works if you change the command mode to "1" on the dvd player FIRST (see user manual = page 149). Once hack has been completed, you can change back to command mode "3", if necessary. Of course you need to set both the DVD player and the orginal DVD player remote to command mode "1". After making it region free you can change them to command mode "2", "3" or leave it on "1"

have a go:

Hi Spoon,
Hope you'll bear with a novice for a moment: Just in the process of buying an HXD970 and saw your info. Can you explain a little to a layman what your doing with the steps quoted above. e.g step 4 enter 5 digit code from above: does this mean for region1 enter 00189?
Items 5 and 6 don't make sense either, I haven't bought the remote yet, so will it become clearer to a novice after buying it? I guess if I see a set of instructions that make sense before doing them, there's a better chance of me being successful in making them work! :lease:

Hi Spoon,
Hope you'll bear with a novice for a moment: Just in the process of buying an HXD970 and saw your info. Can you explain a little to a layman what your doing with the steps quoted above. e.g step 4 enter 5 digit code from above: does this mean for region1 enter 00189?
Items 5 and 6 don't make sense either, I haven't bought the remote yet, so will it become clearer to a novice after buying it? I guess if I see a set of instructions that make sense before doing them, there's a better chance of me being successful in making them work! :lease:

Get the remote, then it will make sense.

If your still confused, read the user manual that comes with the remote.

Laptop Hack

Remote Hack

prepare:

1 - 00189
2 - 00255
3 - 00095
4 - 00221
5 - 00079

3. press magic

have a go:

Tried this and it seemed to work :D Have not got a non region 2 disc atm to test though, is there any way to check it is region free?

Thanks

check if its now region 14 and not region 2

in your earlier post you said you had followed the procedure and it seemed to have worked

therefore I wrongly assumed you had checked that your recorder was set to region 2 , as they usually are for the uk

so to check if it had worked you would have to check the menu and see if its now region 14 having changed from region 2 , otherwise what was the point in following the procedure if you hadnt checked it first ?

surely you checked what it was set to , before messing with it ?

if you havent , you should check what region it is currently set to , and there is plenty of info on this forum in checking the details in your menu

in your earlier post you said you had followed the procedure and it seemed to have worked

therefore I wrongly assumed you had checked that your recorder was set to region 2 , as they usually are for the uk

so to check if it had worked you would have to check the menu and see if its now region 14 having changed from region 2 , otherwise what was the point in following the procedure if you hadnt checked it first ?

surely you checked what it was set to , before messing with it ?

if you havent , you should check what region it is currently set to , and there is plenty of info on this forum in checking the details in your menu

I live in Ireland, and the recorder is the UK model as I work in a shop that stocks them so it's region 2. Did the update just there and it worked fine. Also set remote to 1. I will re-do multi region hack, but I am still unsure howto check current region setting. Cant seem to find a post or thread either.

Thats great. It's set to region 14. So the hack worked even though I ddint change command to 1 instead of 3 first. Thanks again, sorry for being a pain. :thumbsup:

Can any "one for all" remote be used or does it have to be that particular one for the codes to work?

Can any "one for all" remote be used or does it have to be that particular one for the codes to work?

I have a One For All here that I never use, but I don't think that it lets you program the number buttons..

1 - 00189
2 - 00255
3 - 00095
4 - 00221
5 - 00079

And I haven't seen the manual for years. model no urc-7544

Thanks to all who posted various versions of instructions on the Sony multi-region hacks.

For anyone interested, this is to confirm that the instructions on this thread worked on the Sony RDR-HXD995 with the Argos One-for-all 6-way remote (URC 7562; Catalogue code 535/6209).

It took me a couple of tries. Not sure if the problem was mis-programming the buttons or not pausing long enough between buttons when sending the signals to the Sony. Tips for new players: be slow and systematic!

So, Happy New Year 2009 to AVforum members and visitors

See also HERE for issues surrounding hacks for the Sony 90 and 95 series.

Applies to:

790, 890, 990, 1090

795, 895, 995, 1095

Re:- My Sony RDR-HX980 (Yes 980 - not 890)...
Thanks for advice on Multi Region hack in Spoon261 post (with link in it). I followed this hack. I have many OFA remotes and was about to try it with a URC7555 but first decided to see just what my region status was, so keyed the following...
--------------------
Go to System Menu, Initial Setup, Audio Out, Dolby Digital Output. Press the "Angle" key on the remote to bring up some hidden information about your firmware. The region should be displayed as "2"....
--------------------

Now I know that region 2 applies to you guys up there in the northern parts and our code down here is region 4,, but I got a REGION 14 which showed up after the above was followed. I guess this means it's already Multi Region - Right...???

Well, I also bought a Panasonic EH68 250Gb recorder and asked him about Multi Region and he said this one has to be done with software,, which he did on the spot. He advised me about most or even all recorders be only our code (4) so be careful and that he would multi it for me of I ever needed any other players/recorders... I fretted a little having bought the Sony HX980 a week earlier and not checking its region etc...

I also bought a Philips DVP3980 upscaler HDMI, simply because I found a hack on the net, which worked, and they were selling so cheap pre Xmas,, approx 30 pounds in your money. I think that's maybe a good buy...!!!

All seems a bit academic now doesn't it...???

Anyway - thanks for the info and the relief...!!!

I used the PC option on my Dell laptop.

Worked fine and I am now at 14.

Many thanks to all for this.

What is the meaning of multiregion hack ?
It´s necessery to make for the replace HDD ?
Thanks.

Multi-region hack = makes the machine able to play back imported commercial DVDs from other countries (regions). Not connected to the HDD nor recording nor use of "home-made" DVDs. Only to do with playback of "official" DVD releases.

Can I do multiregion hack through a harmony remote control ?
If yes, how ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom