Braveheart censored ?

I don't think it is a big issue regarding the stories effectiveness, but I am simply interested in knowing about whether or not the film was altered.

In any case it seems those who claim it was altered cannot or will not provide proof of their assertions, so it seems those who claim it was NOT altered have the firmer footing.

Let's lay this urban legend to rest once and for all. All the people claiming they saw her throat being cut didn't post screenshots of the laserdisc. But someone at AVS did:

AVS Forum

AVS Forum

AVS Forum

So no, it's not shown being cut.

I prefer the cut version of Robocop, the scene in the office with ED209 in the uncut print is just ridiculous. Less is more.

Also why aren't people demanding Gibson's original cut of the film with the more violent battle scenes which were toned down for an R rating instead of a NC-17

I prefer the cut version of Robocop, the scene in the office with ED209 in the uncut print is just ridiculous. Less is more.
Er, but that's the joke - it's supposed to be ridiculous.

No. Just. No.
It's on par with the stupidity of cutting the scene in Evil Dead II, where Ash repeatedly smashes plates over his head. The BBFC made it worse by trimming it, when in the uncut version it goes on so long, that it's hilarious.

Last edited:
well braveheart blu-ray region b will be out soon..does anyone know if the print that was used is any different from the censored ones?

All i'am seeing is "A".

and this is special because?

Because it means it will play on everyone blu-rayt players, so even if the UK disc still has the alt angle on the neck slice, those of use with Region B only players can import it.

Can anyone post screenshots or a short video of her throat slit scene from this uncut USA laserdisc version?

I saw it uncut many, many years ago on Sky Movies and have never seen it uncut since. I knew I never dreamt it lol. The post before me with the pics still shows the cut version?

I have seen the throat cut in front also. the screengrabs are the cut version.

I have seen the throat cut in front also. the screengrabs are the cut version.

If so, then there is no "uncut"version on video. I saw the movie theatrically, but I can't remember if the throat-cut scene was more explicit or not. But on the laserdisc (which I bought the very week it was released), the scene is exactly the same as it is on BD. Perhaps our minds made the scene seem more graphic than it actually was. The only scene I know of that was filmed but then cut before it opened was the disembowlment. Damn test audiences didn't like it.

Last edited:
Ok so, I know this is an old post but, I have to throw in my 2 cents...I know for a fact this movie was changed from theatre to print... upon print release & over the years Ive looked for info on this wanting 2 know why, to no avail. Hell, I just wanted 2 find anyone else who had the same complaint. Admittedly I havent looked that hard but, over 20 yrs ago one easily loses hope trying to find obscure info on the net. There just wasn't much out there back then in case you guys don't 'memba'' lol. (<Mad Max nod :) I've checked on it from time to time & this is the 1st convo ive seen. Other than the comments Mel made about the film being changed to get a different ''less violence'' rating, I havent found much. I get most people's memory sucks but, I promise you mine is a steel trap. I have trained neurotically (as in EVERY DAY of my life, never waning) for decades in memory enhancement techniques etc...that being said, there are actually three major things that were censored or just outright changed from the theatrical version. Given the way society likes whine about violent films, games etc. can anyone really say this comes as a surprise? I saw Braveheart in theatre (obviously) in Manchester, NH & bought the movie on vhs as soon as it was released... I immeadiately I was all like WTF? OVER?, lol... My guess it went to theatre as intended. After it was criticized for whatever, they put together the different cut we have today to get the different rating b4 release... Just like what Mel said & unfortunately never releasing the original.
1. when murron is 1st escaping from the english on horseback-in theatre she gets full on smashed in the face with a SHOVEL...not the 1/2 ass scene of being hit (ambiguously) slightly below the face with a spear.
2. YES, in theatre you absolutely saw
her throat cut
in full frame just like the magistrate. This scene alone is what made such a drastic impact on me. Not only was it the entire undertone for Wallace's reprisals, it was also what made such a connection of love & deep empathy for his character. This impact wouldnt come for me the way it did if I hadn't seen Morruns' full frontal throat cutting.
These 2 scenes being ''toned down'' imo, fall right in line with each other. Im sure this due some crying liberal crap like usual but, & it doesnt surprise me, not sure why so many would refuse to think they wouldnt do this. It happens all time. Plus not to mention, if you just looked at it logistically, why on Gods green earth would Mel & crew only show the Magistrate's throat cut? Of course they would show both. If you show one, aside from someone whining about violence to women; why not the other? As if we girls are somehow saved from it all cuz the film police showed up... As if NOT displaying the way things truly used to be makes it not so. I think its obvious they intended for both to be blatant & powerful. That is until the ratings commission (or whatever they're called) showed up after the fact & complained due to public/gov complaints. Such as Britain (considering the cultural impact & for obvious reasons) wanting toned down- effectively RUINED it for everyone. Just like California's bs ruins so much for the rest of our country.
Now, ready for no.3? Cuz this one's really gonna mess w/u, lol
3. When Robert the Bruce comes back to his father's room the 2nd time after betraying Wallace & then sending Murrons' kerchief back to Wallace; calling for a meeting. Unbeknownst to the Bruce its a trap. The Bruce returns to his farther & is screaming at him to '' Why??'' & ''Die!!'' etc...then walks away, ''my hate will die with you'' -closes the door & done. In the theatre the Bruce throws his father right out the 2nd story window & kills him.
Why they either chose or were forced to change these integral parts is not that hard to figure out, albeit ridiculous. I've tried to find the original in the USA again, to no avail. My guess is the visualization of the realization of the brutalization of women & throwing leapers out of windows was too much for people to handle, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
“In the theatre the Bruce throws his father right out the 2nd story window & kills him.”

Nope. Never happened. You may be recalling the
Prince’s male lover being thrown out of a window.

Braveheart (Comparison: BBFC 15 - Uncut) - Movie-Censorship.com

I saw Braveheart in the cinema and the version now on Blu/4K is the same as it ever was, save for the small change linked above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lmao...I Absolutely am NOT remembering the gay boyfriend being tossed out the window. Thats a completely different scene & one has nothing to do with the other. That is what they showed in Manchester, NH in the USofA & I'm not the only one who saw & remembers it. None of us could understand why it was changed when we watched the release.
I dont think that website means anything...its just a website. Besides all that site is referring to are the differences between what was released in the US market vs England. Not the difference between theatre & release. They do this all the time here, its pretty much common knowledge. e.g. They run test screenings selectively across the country. Star wars, Blade Runner & Legend to name a few all have drastically different cuts. Some get released to general market, some dont. Perfect ex:
  • For the very first UK release on VHS for rental the version of the film had a sequence showing Wallace leaving Scotland for Europe. He went to visit the Pope in Rome. Along the way he had a misadventure in France and had to leave in a hurry. When he got to Rome and was taken to see the Pope, the Pope merely passed him over without discussion, indicating that the Pope favoured king Edwards claims. This section does not appear on later video or dvd releases on the general market.
  • However, this cut was pulled from market rather quickly after release & is currently NO WHERE to be found. There are actually 5 very different versions that went to print originally, all currently pulled.
  • Im sure you've never seen any of this either, (I know I havent) doesnt mean it doesnt exist when it ABSOLUTELY does.
  • So, please; the ''nope, never happened'' comment...was a bit brash.

Lmao...I Absolutely am NOT remembering the gay boyfriend being tossed out the window. Thats a completely different scene & one has nothing to do with the other. That is what they showed in Manchester, NH in the USofA & I'm not the only one who saw & remembers it. None of us could understand why it was changed when we watched the release.
I dont think that website means anything...its just a website. Besides all that site is referring to are the differences between what was released in the US market vs England. Not the deifference bewtween theatre & release. They do this all the time here, its pretty much common knowledge. e.g. They run test screenings selectively across the country. Star wars, Blade Runner & Legend to name a few all have drastically different cuts. Some get released to general market, some dont. Perfect ex:
  • For the very first UK release on VHS for rental the version of the film had a sequence showing Wallace leaving Scotland for Europe. He went to visit the Pope in Rome. Along the way he had a misadventure in France and had to leave in a hurry. When he got to Rome and was taken to see the Pope, the Pope merely passed him over without discussion, indicating that the Pope favoured king Edwards claims. This section does not appear on later video or dvd releases on the general market.
  • However, this cut was pulled from market rather quickly after release & is currently NO WHERE to be found. There are actually 5 very different versions that went to print originally, all currently pulled.
  • Im sure you've never seen any of this either, (I know I havent) doesnt mean it doesnt exist when it ABSOLUTELY does.
  • So, please; the ''nope, never happened'' comment...was a bit brash.
Ah so you’re talking about a pre-release preview? Apologies for only referring to an actual film cut that exists.

Yes, personally I really liked that he threw him out the window, I thought it was perfect & he more than deserved it...its I would've done, lol

Another wierd thing that happens here alot is a film will go to theater etc. Will even be released to print & then eventually our OTA broadcast networks ABC, NBC etc. Will air the film almost always with some special ed extended cut that no one has ever seen in theatre or release. Braveheart was one of these films. What they aired Braveheart on television here, it had all kinds of different scenes added, was like a whole new movie aired over two nights. And then never seen again, lol

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom