We try and make AVForums classifieds as safe to use as possible, but we can't guarantee that everyone using our classifieds is honest. Because our classifieds focus on high value technology items, we tend to attract scammers, and for this reason we strongly advise you to follow these tips for trading:
- Request clear photographs of the item
- Reject stock Internet or low-resolution photos
- Check if the listing is copy and pasted from another site
- Is there proof of purchase?
- Is the price too good to be true?
- Report suspicious threads to the moderators
Completing a deal
- If you are contacted via private conversation about any prospective deal, report the member to the moderators
- Is the seller being pushy or making arbitrary price cuts to secure a deal?
- Is the seller avoiding questions about the item?
- Look out for last-minute changes in payment or delivery methods that are not properly explained
- Obtain and verify the seller's details prior to payment
- Is the seller located where they say they are (phone their landline)?
- Ask for a photograph of the seller holding the item (e.g. in a mirror)
- Video chat with a seller so you know who you are dealing with
- Check the trading feedback of the purchaser
- Search their previous classified threads for conduct issues
- Report suspicious behaviour to the moderators
Before trading on AVForums, we ask that you familiarise yourself with our trading rules here