Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ziggy Stardust 40th Anniversary CD/LP with DVD-A

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by windhoek, Apr 15, 2012.

1. windhoek

windhoek Member

Ratings:
    +144
    Amazon sent me an email to say my order has been dispatched; hopefully it will arrive on Monday as that's the date it's officially available. Fingers crossed...
  2. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,838
    Anyone buying this only for the DVD-A disc? If so I'd be interested in buying the Vinyl(would need to go through the classifieds of course);)

Just recently taken ownership of my first new turntable in something like 20 years, and just typical the price of this release went up just after finding out my wife was buying it for my birthday, doh!
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  3. windhoek

windhoek Member

Ratings:
    +144
    Arggh, I just got home to find a card from Royal Mail saying they were unable to delivered a parcel and because of the holiday weekend, I need to wait 96 hours before I can collect it from my local depot. I forgot RM would be unable to deliver it on Monday and that's why they sent it out early - doh!
  4. gazatthebop

gazatthebop New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My experience is Amazon.uk often send stuff out to arrive on the Saturday before the Monday release date. Record shops, if you can find one do receive stock early but in theory are not allowed to put it on the shelves until the Monday.
  5. probedb

probedb Active Member

Ratings:
    +172
    Mine just turned up at work, will rip it and have a play at home :) Not that I can check the vinyl part due to not having a deck.
  6. gazatthebop

gazatthebop New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Mine turned up today from amazon uk in a box big enought to fit a record player too. It's a pity the dvd does not have a sleeve. The LP inner sleeve should have been lined too, the original album inner was printed paper, this one is card and should have been poly-lined.
    I've hooked the dvd player to a cd recorder and transferred the 96/24 PCM version to cdr. Anyone know if that's the best way to get a cdr version. Will it sound different to the official cd release?
  7. gazatthebop

gazatthebop New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The dvd is DVD Video format with 5.1 and 24/94khz not DVD Audio
  8. Jon_C

Jon_C Member

Ratings:
    +162
    You'd be better off ripping the 96/24 from the DVD to Flac using DVD-Audio extractor etc to ensure a bit-for-bit conversion.
    Once you put it on a CD-R, it will no longer be 96/24 but rather 48/16. So it will at best be CD quality and how good it sounds will depend on the remastering.
  9. gazatthebop

gazatthebop New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i was aware it would go from 96/24 but i am happy with the results, to have it on a cdr and not have to buy the official cd when i have already purchased the vinyl/dvd issue. Do you know if WAV downloads are as good (or the same?) quality as the official cd version? Also is a 24bit flac download better quality than a wav download? I have seen some download sites offering 24bit flac as an option.
    cheers
  10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,261
    FLAC and WAV should sound identical due to be lossless. It is only FLAC being compressed which is why people like it and saves some disc space.
  11. probedb

probedb Active Member

Ratings:
    +172
    I did what Jon_C said, it sounds fine but then again my flat isn't quiet when the windows open :)

Re FLAC downloads, be careful as some places are offering upscaling 16/44.1 as genuine 24-bit. Oh and FLAC has tagging, although some WAV does it's not supported very well.
  12. RickDastardly

RickDastardly Member

Ratings:
    +186
    So...how does the remaster sound?
  13. gazatthebop

gazatthebop New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have been playing the 96/24 version on a dvd player into an arcam 9 amp listening on sennheiser 515 headphones, though i bought the original album in 72 it was probably my least played one (having not purchased anything Bowie between scary monsters and earthling).To my old ears it sounds amazing, especially "Soul Love". Some tracks reveal more hidden depth than others, in terms of music being so clear i had not noticed before.
    I bought it for the dvd, i have not played the vinyl. I have not listened to it in 5:1 surround sound either.
    I paid (pre-ordered) £11.52 for mine at amazon uk.
    I do not know how the cd only release sounds. I compared it to both the EMI cd's ('91 & '99) this one is better by a long way, certainly on my headphones.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. RickDastardly

RickDastardly Member

Ratings:
    +186
    Thanks for the feedback - I was sure it would sound good. I don't have a record deck so would be interested to pick up the vinyl release purely for the bundled DVD. I'm sure I could rip the audio tracks off the DVD to play through my mac mini. I have used a program to get the high-res tracks of my Flaming Lips DVD-A disc (DVD Audio Extractor maybe?).
  15. gazatthebop

gazatthebop New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i don't know what the difference is but this is a dvd video disc not a dvd a disc
  16. stasis

stasis Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Hi, I think it sounds really good. :smashin:I think it sounded detailed and rhythmical and has a good dynamic range. I gave it plenty of welly and I never felt the desire to turn it down at any point.
    The album cover says to play at maximum volume and who can argue with that.
    It is years since I have listened to the original vinyl so I cant compare it to that. I have the SACD which I really like and it is nice to have a top quality vinyl again.
    I had a quick listen to the DTS multi-channel and I thought it sounded pretty good if you like that sort of thing.
    regards stasis.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Jon_C

Jon_C Member

Ratings:
    +162
    I'm listening to the 96/24 stereo version from the DVD now and it sounds beautiful. Not tried the other mixes yet.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. metropolis

metropolis Member

Ratings:
    +173
    vinyl sounds very good,will leave the dvd for the weekend.
  19. RickDastardly

RickDastardly Member

Ratings:
    +186
    Hmmmm... I think I may have to pick this up.
  20. metropolis

metropolis Member

Ratings:
    +173
    listened to the 96/24 and it sounds very good but not sure if i prefer the vinyl.the 5.1 mixes are interesting but i will probably not play them again.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. RickDastardly

RickDastardly Member

Ratings:
    +186
    I tend to stick to 2.0 mixes too. The only exception for me is SFA: Rings Around The World.
  22. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    The vinyl version is very good. A lot of the bottom end that was missing has been restored, and the treble is not so OTT as on the original master. Not sure why they released as DVD-V? No matter how much they spin it it is NOT a true hi-resolution disc.

The SACD of Ziggy's surround sounds better than the 5.1 on this, which is disappointing. I too prefer 2.0 mixes on Hi-res format, however, they are blighted by being an 'afterthought' on hi-res discs. Some are seriously inferior to the surround mixes in terms of mastering.

EDITED BY MOD
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2012
  23. metropolis

metropolis Member

Ratings:
    +173
    i agree,just wish i had a proper vinyl setup to get the most out of it.
    the dvd does sound better than cd but not heard the sacd.
  24. Vipers @ HiFi Lounge

Vipers @ HiFi Lounge Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +590
    Thanks to the OP for this thread as I wasn't aware of this release, just ordered my copy although it has gone up in price now to £18, still a bargain though, not sure what I'm more excited about, the vinyl or the 24 bit.

This is my third favourite Bowie album after Hunky Dory and Scary Monters, what are the chances of his whole back catalogue getting the same treatment? Or is that just wishful thinking :rolleyes:
  25. Tetlee

Tetlee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,838
    Where have you just purchased for £18, has been £22 on both amazon and HMV since release?
  26. krish

krish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,035
    On BBC4 this Friday at 9pm (repeated a few hours later at 1.30am on Saturday, then again at 12.20am Monday) ...
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  27. Vipers @ HiFi Lounge

Vipers @ HiFi Lounge Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +590
    It was from a re-seller on Amazon, I got it through yesterday, all brand new :)

Just finished ripping the 24/96 version so that I can do a little shoot out, Vinyl vs 24 bit :)
  28. nwgarratt

nwgarratt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,261
    Was that plus £4 postage as I found one sold for £17.95 ?
  29. windhoek

windhoek Member

Ratings:
    +144
    It's now available @ Amazon for £13.38 delivered; that's cheaper than it was when first released last year! :eek:

Direct Link.
  30. overkill

overkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    Alladin Sane next up. Due for release April 15th.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2