Zavvi/Sainsbury's Pre-orders and Credit Card Change

Doctor Hades

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of BD steelbook pre-orders with Zavvi and Sainsbury's, about 20 in total, but about half of them will be affected by my bank's decision to switch from a Mastercard to a Visa credit card, obviously with a new number. Unlike Amazon, neither of those have any way to amend the payment method even though no money is taken until the goods are shipped.

Does that mean that I will lose some pre-orders? Obviously, steelbooks are a limited run so I cannot just cancel them and re-order them when my current card expires at the end of July as they'll have sold out of their original allocation.

What can I do? Do Sainsbury's and Zavvi allow for orders to have their payment details amended?

Might be worth emailing customer service for both or ringing them to try and amend your card details. Think it says in the small print of Sainsbury's that there's nothing you can do about it (something about taking those exact details for that order, no room for amendments) so you might need to re-order the Sainsbury's orders.

This has lost me a few steelbooks recently with Zavvi, how rubbish are they that you cannot amend any payment or delivery details on a unshipped order.

With about zero customer service options as well, you get no where very slowly trying to sort anything out.

I had a similar thing with Zavvi, I have the Indiana Jones Steelbooks pre-ordered and had to cancel my credit card because of Fraudulent activity. I was told to add the new credit card details once I received them as when it came to dispatch, they would try my old number first and then any additional cards held on my account before cancelling the orders. This did take several messages to the frankly awful Zavvi customer service, I was initially told that they would cancel the order! I'm still not 100% confident but fingers crossed . . . . . if the Indy Steelbooks ever get released! :)

It's definitely not possible to make changes to Sainsbury's Entertainment orders, unfortunately. I've been there. However the staff might be able to assist you in replacing the orders.

I had this problem with the recent finding nemo steelbook from Zavvi, they emailed me when the payment failed on my old card to either call them or add new details online, held up dispatch of my order by 24hours but at least it was possible.

Have you contacted your bank about this?

In general (though, of course, I can't be specific), card issuers have to leave in place a transaction forwarding scheme for transactions they receive with "old" details, to cover anything that may be "in the pipeline" at the time of changeover.

It was only after several months in my case that I received a letter informing me that, if any more transactions came through, they would levy a charge. And when I wrote back in strong terms advising them that as the changeoever was at their doing it was therefore their responsibility to deal with the consequences and that under no circumstances were they to levy any fees for doing so, they did in fact back down.

Not helpful for this MasterCard to Visa bit but Visa Account Update gives merchants your updated card details if they have your old ones on file.

This is helpful for pre-orders but unhelpful if you think that auto renewal won't go through because your cards details have changed.

I've just had a response from Sainsbury's and they've told me that my only option is to cancel the affected pre-orders that will arrive after 31st July and reorder them with my new card. That is not what I wanted to hear at all as it no doubt means that I've lost half my pre-orders unless I'm extremely lucky. I guess I could go through them and cancel some now which still listed as available to pre-order then use my debit card or Paypal. That means paying for them now rather than when they're shipped. I suspect I'll have the same problem with Zavvi too, although I have not received a response from them. :(

I guess this might be a good time to stop pre-ordering as many steelbooks as I do...

@LV426 - I haven't contacted my bank yet, no, but I guess I should. I doubt they'll be very understanding of my issue though, after all I'm placing orders for things that are not out for months yet.

I suggest then that you advise them, in polite terms, that you have authorised certain transactions that are future dated and that the supplier does not offer any option for you to alter the details they hold.....and ask them what they propose to do about it when transactions are processed.

Could anyone inform me if Sainsburys have changed their timeframe which they take their payment on preorders? My card details are valid and the card is in date but when I tried to place a preorder this morning it stated there was a problem with the payment. Last time I ordered from them they didn't take payment until a couple of days before release?

This is for a release that isn't out till October by the way.

Could anyone inform me if Sainsburys have changed their timeframe which they take their payment on preorders? My card details are valid and the card is in date but when I tried to place a preorder this morning it stated there was a problem with the payment. Last time I ordered from them they didn't take payment until a couple of days before release?

This is for a release that isn't out till October by the way.

They aren't trying to take the money now for the pre-order it's a sort of reserve on the funds they are doing (though that's not quite accurate either).

With Regards Zavvi does anyone know when your credit card date runs out but is replaced with the same card number albeit the the dates changed and security number on the back different, what is the best procedure with reference to pre orders? Delete the old card or leave the two running or anything else?

Depends on the company, some will let you change the card (ie Amazon) but some will say they can't update orders once placed so you will need to cancel and re-order (Zavvi)

Depends on the company, some will let you change the card (ie Amazon) but some will say they can't update orders once placed so you will need to cancel and re-order (Zavvi)
Drat it was on some pre order's with Zavvi that are now sold out so cant re-order:mad:
Darn stupid how many peeps will this catch out, don't they realise credit card do run out.

I started using PayPal with Zavvi, that way you can update the card details linked to your PayPal account without involving Zavvi.

How quickly does an item show back in stock, say I had a couple of out of stock preorders on zavvi that needed cancelling due to changing payment method, would they show straight away so I can preorder again with new payment method?

Basically i received a replacement card from my bank (unwillingly) which has all the same details as my old one except the long card number, the original card I had isnt set to expire for 4 years (2018) and the new one expires in 2019 so will the bank likely cancel the old one or will the both be effective still?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom