1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z3 dark scenes

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by WILLRIVERA, Dec 29, 2005.

1. WILLRIVERA

WILLRIVERA Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if somebody can explain a thing to me , I have a z3 projector and when I am watching movies like monster inc or incredibles the picture quality is great but when I watch movies with dark scenes it looks horrible. Now is this because of the contrast ratio or is this something that I will see in every projector and why is my 19 inch lcd monitor better quality than my projector. Sorry about the ignorance and just trying to see if I should upgrade to the new z4 or p900.

Thanks

Will Rivera
  2. cyberheater

cyberheater Member

Ratings:
    +153
    It could be a lot of things.

Have you calibrated you PJ properly. Us the THX optimizer on the starwars dvd.
    Or it could be that your gamma curve isn't set correctly.
    What is your video source and delivery method (ie. DVD with component)
  3. gingerone

gingerone Member

Ratings:
    +70
    I suggest you do a search for the z3 calibration thread started by Rone. It's a long read but you'll understand the Z3 a lot more and know how to get the best out of it.
    There are a lot of factors that affect how good dark scenes will look such as ambient light, brightness and contrast levels ,what preset you are using and so on.
    More info would help.
  4. WILLRIVERA

WILLRIVERA Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys I really appreciate the help and all the comments. Well I have a media center computer with NVIDIA's pure video decoder using an hdmi to dvi running 1280 by 720 resolution. I also have windvd 7 platinum and power dvd 6 (which I think gives me the best colors I have seen in all the players) and also I have zoom player with fddshow and power strip which I do not use much because it does not look very good compare to my other players. Maybe I am just asking too much or maybe is just the way the movie looks in a da-lite high contrast 106 inch screen. I do have to say that the preview of that animation movie with Keanu Reeves looks fantastic.

Do you guys think that getting a upconverter dvd will be better?

Thanks

Will Rivera
  5. Supersonic

Supersonic Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I'd strongly suggest getting DVD Video Essentials and/or Avia calibration disks and go through them before you do anything more expensive!

R0ne's calibration thread is great - start with the recommendations in there. If they don't help, I'd suggest something's up with your source device. My Z3 is fine with dark scenes - the Iris setting is quite crucial for this and I found it needed opening up a bit more than the R0ne thread said. That's my preference though!
  6. WILLRIVERA

WILLRIVERA Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Supersonic! Would it be rudeness if I ask you to share your settings in here? I know that Rone’s settings are supposed to be the ultimate but I have a gray screen and I would like to know different settings from other users.

Thanks
    Will rivera
  7. gingerone

gingerone Member

Ratings:
    +70
    There really is no substitute for setting things up yourself.
    I know it's daunting at first but dvd's like DVE talk you thru everything so there's no quesswork involved.
    The importance of having your brightness and contrast set correctly is impossible to overstate, it makes a world of difference.
    I would say start with the creative cinema setting, set your iris down quite low (about -45 to 50) and the use a star wars or pixar dvd and set your brightness and contrast using the THX optimiser in the languages menu.
    You will see a big difference.
    Other peoples settings are only really valid when trying to get your colour close to D65 standard.
    All other settings are relative to your own enviroment.
  8. Comer

Comer Member

Ratings:
    +90
    When u say that dark scenes are bad, in what way, do you mean that shadow detail is lost? What setting are u using on the Z3s HDMI input, L1 or L2?
  9. WILLRIVERA

WILLRIVERA Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    When I was watching star wars in some dark scenes is hard to see their clothes and faces expressions it just feels so dark and no detail in the dark parts of the picture. I am using L1.

Will Rivera
  10. ROne

ROne Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Your problem is almost certainly one of mismatched Video/PC levels settings.

Switch to HDMI L2 and see what happens.

Irrespective - both settings need calibration.
  11. WILLRIVERA

WILLRIVERA Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well happy new year to all of you first and I hope all of your dreams become true. I was wondering if someone can explain to me what are those settings for hdmi L1 or L2 and is it better to keep the native resolution 720 or go other way to 1080i, I notice that in 1080i you can use the progressive option on the color menu. ROne I know that you are like the Z3 and Z4 guru I was wondering if upgrading to the z4 will give me that more of a wow effect or is it going to be hard to see a huge improvement. The lady at projectorpeople told me that the difference was more technologically than performance and her own opinion the only way I will see a big difference was buying a higher end single chip dlp. It is hard to judge the z3 sometimes because watching Nemo or any other kids animation movie the picture is so good.

Thanks

Will Rivera
  12. Comer

Comer Member

Ratings:
    +90
    L1 is used with some DVD players that have some kind of "Enhanced Mode" whatever the hell that means:rolleyes:. I have an ATI card and use the L1 setting with gamma upped using Theatertek in Overlay mode, this is not so simple using a Nvidia card. I believe that using L1 in this way gives better contrast than L2. I think that with your video card you would be better off using L2. But you will need to calibrate the projector with something like Avia or the THX optimiser on any of the star wars DVDs.

I would recommend feeding the projector a 1280X720 image with overscan on the projector set to 0, as this means that the projector does not need to scale the image, oh and Many Happy Returns for the new year :hiya: