Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your PS3 Noisy or Not

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by gadjetnige, Apr 3, 2007.

?

How noisy is your PS3

1. Unacceptably noisy

16 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. Noisy

30 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Fairly quite

85 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Virtually silent

131 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. gadjetnige

gadjetnige Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at previous threads I see some people think their PS3s are excessively noisy. Mine certainly is not. Please vote to let others know about yours.
  2. >Jaz<

>Jaz< Member

Ratings:
    +64
    Wouldn't it be better with a poll? :)
  3. Axel40

Axel40 Active Member

Ratings:
    +268
    Definitely not noisy.

Compared to my Launch 360 it's as quite as a mouse, quieter in fact cos it don't make a squeak :thumbsup:

Funny enough, it's one of the first things I noticed after using a 360 for so long.
  4. Bushido

Bushido Member

Ratings:
    +58
    fans dont bother me at all..compared with my 360 that is!!

Then again one persons version of quiet may not be anothers.
  5. gpa

gpa New Member

Ratings:
    +321
    Mine was howling like a good un, until i realized I had stood it up with the side vents to the floor:rolleyes: now I have stood it correctly all fine and dandy:D
  6. Acceber

Acceber Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Noisy, but not unacceptably noisy.
  7. frosty1979

frosty1979 Member

Ratings:
    +91
    Mines very noisy when loading a game, louder than normal conversation, not sure if its the hard drive or blue ray drive. Does not do it when playing demos that I have downloaded. Not heard the fans going on mine, hope they work!

Anyone else got the same problem or have I got a faulty unit?
  8. ade2j

ade2j Member

Ratings:
    +5
    If your playing a game you have the sound on so it shouldn't bother you really?
  9. CTR_Paul

CTR_Paul Member

Ratings:
    +43
    I'm really impressed with mine it's almost silent. I have to crouch down under the TV to listen for it. It makes my PS2 sound like a washing machine! :D
  10. Geonosis

Geonosis Member

Ratings:
    +3
    My original (not slimline) PS2 quite a lot louder than my PS3 regardless of what it's doing. The disc spin up and seeking is also quieter on the PS3 than my old PS2 :thumbsup: loving it! :D
  11. ajfoggy

ajfoggy Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Not:)

Xbox 360, now that is Noisy... My one and only issue with the 360!
  12. psikey

psikey Active Member

Ratings:
    +697
    :eek: Either your talking in whispers or you have a faulty machine I'd say

The 20GB JPN import I had was "Virtually Silent" while my UK 60GB one I'd say is "Fairly Quite".

Thats with both of them in exactly the same location.

Didn't hear the JPN one at all but the UK one does have some fan noise at times but nothing to complain about.

Located flat on an open glass shelf, viewing distance about 7ft.
  13. Dragy2k

Dragy2k Member

Ratings:
    +35
    cant say mine is making a racket at all playing a game or watching a film its almost silent dont know if having mine on its side makes any diff?
  14. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +250
    Since the fans are all on one side putting it on its side forces the heat upwards... where it wants to go anyway.. the fans have a lot less to do.

Definately makes a difference to me.
  15. BIGMAX

BIGMAX Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Mine is totally unacceptable, fans kick in after about 10-15 mins and sound like they are at full pelt until the unit is turned off, very intrusive when listening to dialogue on a dvd. Its going back for an exchange.
  16. frosty1979

frosty1979 Member

Ratings:
    +91
    It sounds like it is having trouble loading the data, almost as if it is skipping when loading new levels or the hard drive is on the way out. Sat about 6 foot away and can easily here it. Anyone know how good Argos are for returns, think I will try to exchange it now before it dies on me.

17. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,426
    Do you have it vertical or horizontal?

I have had mine since December and its not until the fans start up after 5/10 minutes that I can even hear it running and even then it is quiet enough to playback Blu-Rays.
  18. BIGMAX

BIGMAX Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Its horizontal as this is the only way its going to fit into my AV unit, I've heard its supposed to help being vertical but its not really practical. The unit is silent until the fans start but the fan noise is just too much for me.
  19. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,426
    Mine is also horizontal but yours must be faulty if it really is that off putting or maybe I am so used to the noise the 360 makes that the PS3 isnt really registering with me.
  20. fdxd

fdxd Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    On mine the fans are always running when on. Feels hot too.

Last night i played Ridge Racer 7 for hours. The picture started changing colours at times. I turned it off. Seems okay now. Not sure what was happening.
  21. psikey

psikey Active Member

Ratings:
    +697
    I've played games on mine for hours with no graphical problems & fans only coming onto 2nd level at the most. Either you've got restricted air-flow or it's faulty in some way.

When doing XMB stuff the fans are usually off (or in the 1st level almost silent mode) only kicking in the fan occasionally.

80&#37; saying quiet or silent after 57 votes should give a good indication. For the guy with the single "very noisy" vote take it back! for exchange.
  22. fdxd

fdxd Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah crap i hope mines fine because its always the same loudish noise on the XMB as it is in games. :thumbsdow

I will look closely. Even at loudest it doesnt bother me. My Skybox makes more noiser noises alot of the time.
  23. psikey

psikey Active Member

Ratings:
    +697
    If your talking a noise level comparable to a Sky+ box then I'd say yours is fine.
  24. BIGMAX

BIGMAX Member

Ratings:
    +20

This is the thing, people have stated that their sky HD box is louder, but my PS3 is about 5 times as loud as my sky HD box which I consider to be almost silent. Look forward to my exchange.
  25. Windtalker

Windtalker New Member

Ratings:
    +56
    silent :thumbsup:
  26. beowulf

beowulf New Member

Ratings:
    +28
  27. bsimmer3000

bsimmer3000 Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Have one down stairs which is US and one upstairs which is UK and to be honest they sound exactly the same. almost silent. if anything the UK is a tad louder but that may just be because it's under tv while the other US one is on top of my sub.
  28. Kahled

Kahled Member

Ratings:
    +170
    "Fairly quiet"

Some general fan noise but nothing dramatic, about the same level as my 360 when not spinning the drive.

However playing games it does get more irritating as the drive makes an irritating high pitch transfer over the disk back and forth which because of its pitch is quite noticable even about 2.5m away.
  29. Stinja

Stinja Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    "Virtually silent" - even when the fan kicks in.

This is under normal (quiet) TV volume from 5 foot. As an aside, the 360 is damn noisy under the same conditions.
  30. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Active Member

Ratings:
    +250
    TBH I can't help thinking that's your problem - devices like a PS3 need lots of airspace to keep cool and putting them into cabinets is going to impair that severely. That's why modern AV racks tend to be simply shelving rather than cupboards so they're open on all sides.

Definately put it vertical for a time, whether it's a good long term solution or not... at least then you can prove whether you've got a duff one or whether you need to start cutting holes in your AV unit.