Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"You do not have permission to enable or disable the Hibernate feature".

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by Azzin, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Hi all,

I've just made the jump to W7 (Professional) and I'm liking it so far, but I have a gripe!

I've installed it to a clean 30 gig partition (C: ) and it seemed to be hogging an awful lot of space. :eek:

I've moved the page file from C: to D: and I'm wanting to get rid of "hiberfil.sys" as I don't use Hibernate.

According to what I've read online, it's a case of opening a command prompt and typing powercfg -h off, but when I do that I get "You do not have permission to enable or disable the Hibernate feature". :confused:

I'm logged on as myself and I am an administrator and I'm in the Administrators group, so I'm not quite sure what's going on.

I haven't really installed much else to C:-just MS Office, A/V, spyware apps etc, but I currently only have 7.35 gig free.

Having said that, the C:>Users>Me folder is 7.1 gig in size!

I copied that over from my Vista install as it has all my iPhone stuff on it (apps/music/allbum art etc).

It breaks down like this:

C:>Users>Me>Music>iTunes is 4.6 gig (3.1 GB of apps & 1.5 GB of Album artwork apparently!)

C:>Users>Me>AppData is 2.3 gig in size (1.4 gig in Local, 807MB in Roaming and 82 MB in LocalLow).

So any idea how to gget rid of Hiberfil.sys?

What would also be great is for iTunes not to install/save everything by default to C:, but I don't think there's any way to specify a different path for that stuff.

You can for the actual music library (I have mine on D: iTunes), but there doesn't seem to be an option for a different path for the music/apps stuff. :(
  2. Singh400

Singh400 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,416
    You need to run cmd.exe as an Administrator. Start > type CMD then right click on CMD shortcut and select "Run as Administrator".

It doesn't matter what type of an account you have, or what group you are apart of. Doing system wide changes via CMD, will always require you to run cmd.exe as an administrator (even if you are an admin and part of the admin group).

I work around this, by CMD.exe pinned to my super taskbar and setting it to run as administrator all the time.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  3. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Worked a treat, thanks. :thumbsup:

9.92 GB free now. :)
  4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,430
    If you "upgraded" you may have a "windows.old" directory as well. If things are running smoothly you may be able to delete that as well.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    I did a clean install, but cheers. :thumbsup: