Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-Z7 Owners Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by dwhite, Jul 17, 2010.

1. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576
    You should really set your speakers to small and cross over at 80Hz.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks for the post The Blue Falcon :thumbsup:

Should I set bass to sub & front or sub only ?
  3. TheBlueFalcon

Ratings:
    +576
    Sub only. :)
  4. AVreturn

AVreturn Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Just to add, I have all my speakers set to small, crossover at 80Hz and both subs wired and working now!

Sound from bluray from PS3 is fantastic, loving this amp:smashin:
  5. The Spaniard

The Spaniard Member

Ratings:
    +84
    Hi Jude, apologies for the delay in getting back to you but I can see that Blue Falcon has sorted you out on your speaker and sub set up. Auto set up identified both my 775's and centre speaker as large and output bass to all of them plus the subs. I have changed them all to small and output bass to sub and front. Outputting Bass to the front as well is ridiculous I know given the crossover at 80 but somehow makes me feel better - dont ask :D

My rears are the old mission 77ds ;)

Does yours sound any better now you have changed?
  6. Dave H

Dave H Active Member

Ratings:
    +140
    I had all the speakers on small and the bass to the sub only, but it didn't sound right.
    So I changed them all to large and the sub output to Both and it is a much more fuller sound.

Dave.
  7. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks for the response. I'm still playing with the settings and haven't really come to a conclusion which is best yet.

However, I have found that setting my speakers to small gives a more detailed and open sound whereas setting them to large (though giving a fuller sound) lacks definition and detail.
  8. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +82
    I have my Z7 connected to a Velodyne CHT10R subwoofer via the subwoofer pre-out of the Z7 to the LFE input of the sub.

However, the Velodyne CHT10R has Left and Right inputs with the Left input also doubling as the LFE input. Should I connect the Z7 only to the LFE input of the sub or use a Y splitter to connect to both the L & R inputs ?

The CHT10R owners manual states as follow :

"LINE INPUT/LFE Input
    Connect these jacks to the LINE OUT preamp output, LFE output, or subwoofer output jacks of your receiver/processor. If using the LFE output from your receiver or processor, plug the single cable into the “L”– LFE input or, for more signal, use a “Y” connector and feed the signal into both “R” and “L” inputs."

When it says "for more signal", is this something I will physically hear a difference from or literally a stringer signal from the amp ?

9. TheBlueFalcon

Ratings:
    +576
    Just a single cable in to the left one is the best way. :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks The Blue Falcon :smashin:

I've had it wired that way for a couple of years but found the sub manual the other day and it got me wondering if a Y connector would improve things in any way. Obviously not.

Thanks again.
  11. Movieman

Movieman Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Can some shed a little light on this one for me.
    I have had this amp for about 4 weeks now, I have the nintendo wii connected via component , I have video settings Analog - HDMI set to processing, I also have I/O set to comp in B, which is what I have the wii connected to. But all I get is the sound but no picture. Can someone tell if I've missed something. Cheers
  12. Lesmor

Lesmor Member

Ratings:
    +180
    Hi I have never had to adjust any settings on the video side of my Z7 , just plugged in the cables and the amp does the rest.
    ( I am aware that the amp has an excellent video scaler and could possibly give better results with some tweeking )
    You seem to have done the opposite and have made some video selections in the menu , I would suggest noting down the settings you have for the Audio side and do a factory reset on the amp , plug in the cables for your componemts and try that whithout going into the menu.
    If ok re-input your Audio settings which you have noted down.
    There will be guys here who are more expert on the Z7 than me who may have other suggestions , but thats what I would try myself
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Movieman

Movieman Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks issue resolved, blue and green cables plugged in wrong way round. Idiot!!!!!
  14. Lesmor

Lesmor Member

Ratings:
    +180
    Hi Guys

Wonder if you can help
    I have "Pans Labyrinth" with the 7.1 soundtrack ,when played on my Z7 the flags for my speakers on the front of the amp only shows 5.1

Anyone any suggestions as to why , I have a disk with a 6.1 track and it shows up OK
  15. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,584
  16. Lesmor

Lesmor Member

Ratings:
    +180
    Thanks for the prompt response Dante , interesting link

I am using a Denon 2500 BT so hopefully it should recognise the 7.1 unless its a problem with the disk which is not really clear on that post.

If it is a disk problem I'm a little miffed as I originally bought the UK version not realising that it was only 5.1 until I received it , I returned it to Amazon and bought the US version which was dearer but I wanted the 7.1 track , bought it in March but only tried it this week as I have been upgrading my listening room.

So question now is , is it the disk and if so was there a recall and fix , anyone know??
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  17. TheBlueFalcon

Ratings:
    +576
    It's a problem with the authoring of the discs. Pan's Labyrinth isn't the only one either. We are stuck with them as New Line don't seem to care and there is no fix or replacement discs available.

It's still a worthwhile step up from the Dolby Digital on the UK release though.
  18. Lesmor

Lesmor Member

Ratings:
    +180
    THanks blue falcon
    Thats a bummer although I thought the Uk had a HD soundtrack as well
    Also I believe the video transfer on the UK version by Optimum Home Entertainment was better than New Line
  19. TheBlueFalcon

Ratings:
    +576
    Just a Dolby Digital track on the UK release. I've not heard anything about any differences in the transfer. The New Line released looked fine to me.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish Member

Ratings:
    +222
    Been messing around looking for the best DSP for listening to TV sound and for me the 7 channel enhancer sounds absolutely great, it give a much more meaty sound than any of the Dolby Pro Logic or Neo 6 solutions.:thumbsup:
  21. Dazzor

Dazzor Active Member

Ratings:
    +325
    7 channel enhance hey? .....I'll give this go as I already favour 7-channel stereo for general TV duties.

Nice one:smashin:
  22. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish Member

Ratings:
    +222
    Just remember to switch to DD when you tune to BBC HD with a 5.1 soundtrack Dazzor, but for all others the 7 channel enhancer just sounds so full.:thumbsup:
  23. DegsC

DegsC Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thinking about buying a Z7 now that it has come down in price but my AV rack (custom) is limited in height. How tall is the Z7 ??? online data suggests 196mm but does that include the feet ???

Thanks in advance

Degs:lease:
  24. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,584
    DON'T REMOVE THE FEET! The feet are an integral part of the low resonance chassis design. Amp manufacturers wouldn't put feet on their products if they weren't needed ;)
  25. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1 New Member

Ratings:
    +551
    The 196mm does include the feet.

In addition to Dante's comment the Z7 has vents on the underside so removing the feet wouldn't be ideal.

There are vents on one side, bottom and top.
  26. DegsC

DegsC Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks guys....... did'nt want to remove the feet just wanted to make sure that I did'nt have to add the feet height to the stated 196mm z7 height.

Cheers ###Degs:clap:
  27. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,584
    They did that to me in hospital once. I've now got one leg shorter than the other and can only walk around in circles :(
  28. William YZF-R1

Ratings:
    +551
    Yamaha answered my question, although I haven't checked the validity.

"Sorry for the delayed response.
    To enable the book mark function to operate, you must first press the USB/NET button in block of buttons (3), then select the "source" with the switch on the side of the remote control, then when you press and hold the "TITLE" button the station will be bookmarked."

I have a slight hiccup with bookmarking Internet Radio stations.:(

The manual (Page 62) says that whilst listening to the station put the remote on SOURCE (Button 16) and then press & hold TITLE (Button 8).

Seems simple enough but I can't get it to work:laugh: The remote does indicate it is sending a command when TITLE is pressed but no station appears in Bookmarks.

Its not the end of the world as you can do it via vTuner Radio Guide but if someone knows where I am going wrong please let me know.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  29. hopeless

hopeless Active Member

Ratings:
    +345
    Hi, I received my brand new Z7 today for the bargain price of £1200 delivered!

It will be a few weeks before it's up and running, and as I have no idea what I'm doing I'll be coming back here to pester you all, so apologies in advance.
  30. William YZF-R1

Ratings:
    +551
    From recent experience doing the basics, hooking up sources and calibration it seemed quite simple. There are so many inputs preassigned and labelled that everything just plugged straight in. All I did after calibration was set the speakers to small and choose an appropriate crossover.

I would recommend using the Receiver Manager software if you network the Z7 (and have a laptop) as although the GUI is intuitive sitting at a laptop changing settings seemed so much easier.

I initially struggled with the Z7 not remembering input specific settings like sound field etc next time you powered it up but in Receiver Manager there is an area where you can specify whats remembered, I ticked all the boxes and am happy now.

Oh yes, I updated the Firmware as a first step (by following the manual) using the network/internet to download straight to the unit.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010