Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha rx-v667 Owners thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by dwhite, Feb 27, 2011.

1. atad

atad Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Everthing sounded like there was too much treble especially in peoples voices, after the update it did help a little.
  2. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +410
    Firmware 2.05 fixed some 3d issues with direct tv, as we don't have direct tv I can't see how it is much use..........
  3. NeilF

NeilF Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I'm sorely tempted to get one of these... So just to repeat my earlier question... Anyone upgraded from an earlier Yamaha amp and noticed an audio improvement?
  4. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,075
    I'm presuming that you've done this to a UK machine? The US version is different, losing the S-Video port and adding compatibility with satellite radio via an add-on. I'm wondering if the machine would somehow get confused when running US firmware on a UK one? Is everything still working okay?
  5. atad

atad Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Yeah mine is a UK machine, everthing seems fine so far. Not sure about the s-video as I don't have anything to plug it into. Radio still shows FM and AM, don't see anything for satellite radio. After updating I also reset the AMP to factory defaults and it was still ok.
  6. NeilF

NeilF Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Out of interested... Does this box auto switch in anyway? ie: If you have HDMI feeds into it, and you turn a device on, does the amp automatically switch (the video) to it? And if there's an associated optical input associated with that HDMI lead, does it know to switch it's audio to that?
  7. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,565
    No. No amp has auto switching, but they all comply with the HDMI CEC specifications that allow HDMI control to be implemented. HDMI Control is not auto switching though and the amp will not automatically select an HDMI input if you power up an attached HDMI device. If you want this kind of functionality then invest in a learning remote such as one of Logitech's Harmony remotes.
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
  8. NeilF

NeilF Member

Ratings:
    +96
    So if a device sends the appropriate HDMI signal, the AMP will switch to it? And if the HDMI input is associated to an audio input, will it then also be selected?

PS: I was disappointed to see only FOUR scene selections on the unit. Can't see what they couldn't offer 6-8?
  9. NeilF

NeilF Member

Ratings:
    +96
    No comments? :(

I'm just terrified I'll upgrade from my Yamaha 461 to this 667, and hear no improvement :(

EDIT: CAN'T BUY IT! Just worked out it's 4cm too deep for my AV unit! :( I have room (with cables etc) for a unit about 325mm... It's over 360mm, so it will not fit! Might have to be the Onkyo TX-SR608 purely for size limitations!
  10. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,565
    as I said:

AV amps do not have auto switching!
  11. TorchMT360

TorchMT360 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    just bought one of these amps based on reviews etc and to replace my ageing yamaha av amp, i'll be using my existing speaker setup which consists of the tannoy MX range, 3s for the main and 1s at the rear.
    trouble is my driver on one of the fronts has ripped, can anyone recommend me some floorstanding speakers to go with the new amp? preferably under £200 and in maple if possible (long shot i know)
  12. Sub Zero

Sub Zero Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, very helpful thread.

I thought I had everything with this amp figured out to the T but I have a niggling question about Pure Direct. My understanding of PD was that it shut down the internal processors to provide a cleaner sound, but at the expense of the Sub and Surrounds.

Whilst watching Tron on Blu Ray the other night (One of the best yet for the system), I wasn't entirely chuffed with one particular moment I remember from the cinema - when they "ignite" their Data Disks for battle - the sound effect is something like a Lightsaber going off.

Whilst watching in DTS MASTER I noticed this sound effect didn't have the same "Zing" and "Punch" as I remembered it, so I decided to play with the settings, one of which was Pure Direct. To my enjoyment that "Zing" returned, but unexpectedly (Unless my ears were tricking me) the Surrounds and Sub stayed on still giving me the full 5.1 DTS experience.

So my question is , does pure direct mode simply just disable the internal works and processors, but still passes through what ever signal is being supplied by the disc? - 5.1 in this case.

Because if it is, my understanding of PD has been wrong.
  13. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,565
    PURE DIRECT still utilises both the sub and surrounds if the native audio source has the associated discrete channels present. The sub is still fed an LFE signal if the audio format coming into the amp has a discrete LFE channel and your surrounds will still be utilised with audio that includes discrete rear and back effects channels. What PURE DIRECT doesn't do is let you use DSP to create pseudo surround or to use the crossover setting in conjunction will stereo sources for pseudo 2.1. PURE DIRECT works with discrete 5.1 and 7.1 formats and isn't just something you use with 2 channel stereo.

Yamaha:
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
  14. Sub Zero

Sub Zero Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I see. I see.

So going with that quote from Yamaha. How does that affect the sizing of the speakers and also the YPAO distance settings?

Wouldn’t PD contradict that whole set up scenario? I guess another way of putting it is , what would be the point of using PD unless your room is acoustically perfect?
  15. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,565
    Distance and levels settings remain relevant, but the crossover setting, speaker sizes and the PEQ or GEQ settings are bypassed. You cannot redirect frequencies away from speakers in PURE DIRECT mode. PURE DIRECT works best with full range speakers and is of somewhat limited use with small satellite type speakers. The small satellite type speakers usually have a limited low end frequency response so you lose the low bass intended for the non LFE speakers because you'd not be able to redirect those frequencies to the sub.

Turn PURE DIRECT on or turn PEQ/GEQ off and tell me which you prefer? I regularly suggest people at least try their setup with whatever EQ system their amp employs (PEQ/GEQ, Audyssey etc.) turned off. It can sound a lot better without all that EQ manipulation. I regularly watch blu-rays with PURE DIRECT engaged and much prefer the sound I get ;)
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
  16. mrbarty

mrbarty Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Well I too was going to ask why, when using PD while watching the royal wedding (or should that be The Royal Wedding?) on ITV HD and then switching over to BBC HD I suddenly had the crowd all around me, helicopters were flying overhead, and when in the abbey my large Tannoys produced the organ pedal notes I knew they were capable of but I rarely get the chance of hearing ? I checked again. No, ITV HD was plain simple front stereo. But on BBC it was quite a thrilling experience. How is this possible, I thought, with the PD blue light clearly on? Well now I know. Thanks dante01.
  17. NeilF

NeilF Member

Ratings:
    +96
    :facepalm: :)
  18. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +410
    BBC was broadcast in 5.1 everything on itvhd is stereo.

Pure direct is similar to straight in as much as it will output stereo in stereo and 5.1 in 5.1. Think that is the easiest way to sum it up.
  19. danhammer

danhammer Member

Ratings:
    +2
    is it possible to be playing xbox 360 and listening to music at the same time from the amp?
  20. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +410
    Yes the easiest way is to have hdmi from xbox to tv and optical from xbox to receiver
  21. danhammer

danhammer Member

Ratings:
    +2
    excellent thanks, works a treat!

one last thing, as i want to go through the amp for my sky tv - is it possible to do this through the amp....for example if i had the footy on the tv but music playing in the background.....can this amp do that?
  22. Sub Zero

Sub Zero Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the mistake I made was enabling PURE DIRECT whilst only listening to music. The particular pieces I listen to (electronic) sound much fuller in the Dolby ii setting than Pure direct, but obviously that would make sense now since my CD isn't 5.1.

I'm curious about the speaker size and cross over though. My floor standers are full size Focal Chorus V's http://www.focal.com/en/home-audio-loudspeakers/hifi-speakers/floorstanding-speakers/chorus-726-v.php

What your saying is that my speakers and sub can handle the output therefore I don't need to set the speakers to small or the cross over to 80hz? Is that correct? I thought that was Home cinema 101 stuff and essential to the set up.

For the record I thought it sounded better in PURE DIRECT myself.

(top guy by the way, I always see you on here answering questions!)
  23. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,565
    No, not exactly. I'd usually recommend that all speakers be set to small and a crossover within the range 60 - 90Hz be used, but if you do have moderately large speaker then PURE DIRECT can yield favourable results in terms of dynamic range, especially where higher frequencies and fidelity are concerned. You can still achieve much of what I'm suggesting even with PURE DIRECT not engaged. Use the STRAIGHT mode and turn off PEQ and GEQ and you get pretty close to what PURE DIRECT provides, but still get to use the crossover.

I think it safe to say that the better your speakers and the wider their frequency handling then the better things will sound in PURE DIRECT.
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  24. Sub Zero

Sub Zero Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That makes sense. I think I'll try sitting down and having a play now that I know my options are not as limited with PURE DIRECT as I thought. Thanks for your help :thumbsup:
  25. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +410

Again you need to connect sky to tv by hdmi and to receiver by optical or coax
  26. KILLER NADS

KILLER NADS Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry could you just remind me what is PEQ and GEQ, im assuming the PEQ is the SURR DECODER button located on top of PURE DIRECT. Does GEQ refer to the other button on far right aswell as the Enhancer?

thanks.
  27. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,565
    PEQ is the parametric equaliser used to create the natural or flat response curves that result from the YPAO calibration. GEQ is the manual graphic equaliser with which you can adjust the EQ to your own taste with rather than using PEQ. You need to access the amp's settings in order to turn these items or off and in order to adjust the GEQ.
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  28. KILLER NADS

KILLER NADS Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Oh I see, not 100% sure but i think that i might have PEQ On (will check tonight) I do remember seeing that option in the settings a few weeks back. If its ON its no wonder why I find my PURE DIRECT the goto option as it always sounds better on 5.1 games/movies!

Thanks Dante01 for your help. I know that you have stated to me before aswell that PCM audio is the way to go for PS3 - but to be honest im just not feeling it! Its just not the same using PCM as it is when I switch to Dolby/DTS directly! But this is a pain as i have to switch it in the ps3 settings screen. Im considering just using OPTICAL CABLE again for the audio (like i was doing for my earlier Denon) rather then using HDMI for the audio. A good or bad choice? Your opinions please. The sound has really been bugging me though for my PS3 games and i want the best options selected.
  29. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,565
    I probably stated that the old PS3 can only stream HD audio as LPCM, but the LPCM it streams is the exact same quality as the HD audio format it was derived from? I wouldn't have suggested PCM as being any better than the compressed HD formats because they are basically the same quality. I've also pointed out that a PS3 isn't intended to bitstream games audio and should always be left to send the audio as LPCM. If you don't do this and force it to bitstream the game audio, you will not get button sounds and other audio created by the PS3 itself.

Note that you will not get HD audio via optical and the PS3 can only output HD audio via HDMI.

HDMI is the best option to use with a PS3.
  30. KILLER NADS

KILLER NADS Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Yeah i understand you are saying it should be same quality, but how comes im not noticing this? Going back to my earlier example of Killzone 3 - playing through PCM is definitely not being outputted at the same quality as when im playing on DTS. Have i got something else set incorrectly? When I selected HDMI audio option i just do auto setup and it selects all the output audio options including the 7 speaker ones even though im only using 5.1