Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V2700 Owners thread

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by djjimbob, Nov 20, 2006.

?

1080p / 24 problems on the Yamaha 2700 amp

Poll closed Jul 25, 2008.
  1. Problem affecting me now, would like it fixed

21.7%
  2. Not affecting me, but I own the amp and would like it fixed

30.4%
  3. I own the amp, but this issue will not affect me

13.8%
  4. Don't own the amp

34.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djjimbob

djjimbob Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Bartjo - I'd definitely go for the 7.1 option.

As long as the speakers are fairly well matched, although the YPAO should iron things out.

You'll also get Pure Direct mode thru your fronts which IMO sounds very good for 2 channel music.

On another note, I was forced to use the Night mode the other day as I was watching movies late. It basically cuts out the really highs and the really lows but keeps the volume the same (ish). That means the neighbours don't complain when things blow up on screen. Quite nifty.
  2. dereks

dereks Member

Ratings:
    +26
    got a quick question if anyone can answer

i got my 2700 on friday and its been connected to kef 3005s the question is i seem to get sound through all my speakers ok but on the display it only has the l + r speaker lit up? any guesses?

its when watching dvd's

Derek
  3. Chris Moseley

Chris Moseley Member

Ratings:
    +346
    Hi

Use a search engine on the internet to find contact info for the company I work for.

Regards

Chris Moseley
    Yamaha UK
  4. Chris Moseley

Chris Moseley Member

Ratings:
    +346
    Hi

This would require removing the HDCP protection - which is not allowed so this is not possible.

Regards

Chris Moseley
    Yamaha UK
  5. Chris Moseley

Chris Moseley Member

Ratings:
    +346
    Hi

It's only receiving Left and Right info.

This could be due to the conections you have used between DVD and amp (ensure you have a digital connection in place), or could be the settings in your DVD player. Ensure they are set to "bitstream" or "all".

Regards

Chris Moseley
    Yamaha UK
  6. thewall

thewall Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If i hook up my xbox 360 with component going into the 2700 will it output through a HDMI cable going to a Sanyo Z4 or do I need a component going from the 2700 to the projector aswell.
  7. aloleary

aloleary Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    HDMI V1.3

Hey guys.. just ordered my RX-V2700...

However I have one question..

I hope to use this box to switch the PS3 to my 1080P TV..

Now the PS3 is not in ireland until end of march so holding off on purchasing the TV until then too.. however I have noted the following:

The PS3 launched here will have an update to support HDMI v1.3... this will allow 120Hz option (4.95Gbps to 10.2Gbps) for smoother motion etc...

Will the yamaha be able to "pass" this signal through or do you think worse.. it may not handle this ..

Any info appreciated.... all this is a big purchase so dont want to stumble at the first step... I would be prepared to cancel my order and wait out for something that can support this...

Thanks ...

-A
  8. jon smith

jon smith Active Member

Ratings:
    +126
    This sounds like normal Sony rubbish to me. The Yamaha works fine with the PS3 though - sound through HDMI is excellent.
  9. aloleary

aloleary Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if it is ...

There are a few 120Hz TVs coming out now.. the new X Series from Sony KDL-X3xxx prob will have this aswell so I think they are just making sure the PS3 can pump this volume of data.. hence the need for HDMI v1.3 support

I know the PS3 today works fine with the Yamaha.. have seen and heard it and its pretty amazing...

I guess I'm really asking what the Yamaha would do if fed a HDMI v1.3 signal... forget about sony/ps3 etc.. just technically...

:confused:
  10. Paulleahey

Paulleahey Member

Ratings:
    +51
    It will output via HDMI to your Z4 - I have mine set up the same way - XBOX360 via component and optical to the 2700 and HDMI from 2700 to InFocus IN76 projector
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. dereks

dereks Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for that you were right the dvd player was set on 2 channel seems great now.....in that case is my sky hd correct that is the same only front left and right lit and displaying pro-logic?

cheers
    Derek
  12. Feanixxx

Feanixxx Member

Ratings:
    +8
    The Sky HD box doesn't send 5.1 through the HDMI plug - you have to use a digital cable for the audio then set the amp to use that input; also set Audio Select to 'Last' instead of 'Auto' to force it to use the digital cable when you next power on. Don't forget that not all Sky channels output 5.1 - just a few film channels and the HD specific ones.
  13. dereks

dereks Member

Ratings:
    +26

sorry not that clued up on the cabling side of things i have it connected by hdmi so is what your saying i need another cable for the audio and switch the amp to select this? if so what type of digital cable do i require?

cheers
    Derek
  14. Chris Moseley

Chris Moseley Member

Ratings:
    +346
    Hi

That's correct Your SkyHD box will not output surround sound formats via it's HDMI socket, so you need to use an additional cable - an optical cable from the SkyHD box to the input that your are using for Sky on your amp. The amp will automatically look for an HDMI audio input first, so to "force" it to use the optical input you need to select the "opt/coax" option with the input mode selector, and as this will reset each time you power off the amp, you will also need to set the input mode from "auto" to "last", so instead of "automatically" looking for the HDMI input first, it looks for the "last" setting which will be optical.

The lights on the amp just show what audio is being received. In the case of Sky, even with an optical cable, most programs will still be in stereo (so two lights will show). Your amp can recreate the surround sound effect using post processing such as Pro Logic (although you will find that changing this to Pro Logic II will improve the sound). Even though two lights are showing you will get sound from all speakers.

Regards

Chris Moseley
    Yamaha UK
  15. dereks

dereks Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks again Chris your a great help will give it a go tonight one last thing you say put it into the input i am using for sky hd if i have this through hdmi where am i putting the optical cable into the amp?

Derek
  16. Chris Moseley

Chris Moseley Member

Ratings:
    +346
    Hi

The HDMI connection that you are using will be asigned to an input name (ie CBL/SAT). You need to ensure that the optical input socket that you are using is also asigned to this same input name.

Regards

Chris Moseley
    Yamaha UK
  17. dereks

dereks Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Cheers Chris think ive got it now......

Derek
  18. djjimbob

djjimbob Member

Ratings:
    +29
    I've done this with Sky and it works excellently on the amp.

I do have 10 cables coming out of the Sky HD box though - insane.
  19. thewall

thewall Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate, looks like I am all set. 360 with HD DVD via Component and a US PS3 via HDMI, all going to the Z4 with 1 single HDMI cable from the 2700.

No format war for me :thumbsup:
  20. Paulleahey

Paulleahey Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Nice one m8 - am sorely tempted to go for a PS3 purely for BluRay (360 does perfectly for games) but just can't justify it at the minute - still have a load of HD-DVDs I haven't had the time to watch yet!

How do you find the US PS3? Importing many BluRay discs and games?
  21. Simon UAE

Simon UAE Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I hope someone can help!

I'm just about to buy a RX-V2700 and i'm wanting to connect it to my Apple Mac Mini to use that both as a DVD source and to play back Movies from the hard drive.

The (potential) problem is that the Mac outputs Video through a DVI connection and Audio through an Optical connection. If I run a DVI to HDMI cable to the Yamaha for the Video and then connect an optical cable between the 2 for the sound would that work? Can the receiver piece the 2 signals together? I'd then just use a normal HDMI cable to connect the receiver to my LCD TV.

Thanks in advance for any guidance,
    Cheers, Simon
  22. thewall

thewall Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I actually had a old panasonic ae-300 projector that I traded for a PS3 so I think that I made a good deal.. Only have one game so far, Resistance - fall of man and it's quite good. Not many games out that look good now, I like the 360 more for games so far. Mostly using the PS3 for movies. No problems importing ( I am in Sweden btw), just had a quick look at "Crank" and that might be the best quality I have ever seen, I have about 20 HD DVD and 5 Blu-ray movies so far.

I am looking at getting the 2700 because I want to have the possiblility to use it as a switch and to get access to the new sound formats on Blu-ray discs.

Sorry for the slight off topic.
  23. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    Chris

Thanks for your input into this thread:thumbsup: , it is always good to see manufaturers here. Can I ask a few questions please from a potential customer?

Once you have 'done' YPAO eq, can you find out what settings have been applied?

Would there be any issues with using using the receiver with no speakers attached to the amps?

I am printing the manual atm but it is long so, re internet / pc stuff, is there a simple pc prog that links all this stuff together for the streaming and is it pc only or is mac use possible as well?

What are the suported 'pc' formats?

Re the 7.1 input, can it be digitised for 'DSP' stuff or is it a direct pass through?

As the receiver has many pc communication functions can it's settings be backed up on a pc? Can they also be altered by a pc config program 'a la Meridian'?

Your 1500 HD recorder has always intrigued me, are there any plans to make a device (other than pc) that could link in with this 2700 receiver but dealing with uncompressed PCM stereo from CDs?

Are the HDMI 'set up' parameters independent for each HDMI input?

Are there any plans to offer a 'linked' HDMI switcher which could be controlled by the 2700 say via RS 232 to allow for many more HDMI inputs?

Why should I pick your 2700 over the Denon competition? ;)

You did an excellent glossy for you top receiver (9), is there one for the 2700? I just have the pdf download and the generic catalogue from my local dealer.

Is the firmware upgradable?

Thanks
  24. Chris Moseley

Chris Moseley Member

Ratings:
    +346
  25. MI55ION

MI55ION Active Member

Ratings:
    +604
    Chris,

Regarding the firmware upgrades: how do you check the present firmware already installed and how do I upgrade it?
  26. Chris Moseley

Chris Moseley Member

Ratings:
    +346
    Hi

You will have the latest firmware as we haven't release any updates yet.

As and when we do, we will post information on our website and inform our dealers. Depending on the update will depend how it's implemented.

Regards

Chris Moseley
    Yamaha UK
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. CaPo

CaPo Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I got a hold of this software via a link on some american forum. If anyone wants the software pm me your email and ill get it to you with the instructions. (It requires the pc to be connected to the amp with a null modem cable.)
  28. DougalDC

DougalDC Member

Ratings:
    +4
    i'm pretty sure, but one of the guys on the US forum, was saying he had his 2700 controlable from 3 seperate computers around his house,
    dont think what he was doing was through a null modem, he must have been using the networking.

though, i cant say more, as it was within the huge 60+ page thread, and i cant be arsed to wade through all that just yet, maybe latter when mine arrives :)
  29. CaPo

CaPo Member

Ratings:
    +18
    AFAIK the only way the software will communicate with a pc is through the rs232 port on the back of the amp. The ethernet only allows music and internet radio streaming.
    To get full software control on your network you need to buy a gizmo that attaches to the port and assigns it an ip address then lets you plug an ethernet in. (Meaning you would need 2 ethernets going to the amp.) There is then another piece of software that you can install on the pc that takes the data from the amps ip address and fools the pc into thinking its connected to the com port. I think the hardware to do this is about another 130 quid on top of the cost of the amp.
    Easier and cheaper to buy a null modem cable off ebay. (I got a 5m one for £3 delivered.)
  30. DougalDC

DougalDC Member

Ratings:
    +4
    ahh right, well bugger that :) sounds like more hastle than it is worth, my pc's are not in the room with the av system, so i'm not going to be using the computer method then..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.