• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have applied the new update. There are no obvious changes or new features

Streaming Radio possibly improved ?
Overly Info woorks as before.

David Isom

so no overlay on HDMI sources?

I can tell you for sure, I won't be trying the new firmware......Lets just say once bitten twice shy. :) Mine works atm and its staying working :)

As I gather David had got a few boxes....Less risk :) Don't you David :) Or are they all ebayed now ;)

Shaz

I'm with you. If it aint broke, don't fix it! :cool:

So far I have not heard one good reason to update. Furthermore, I find it quite odd that Yamaha did not include any FW info with the FW file.
Yamaha always includes a PDF file with any FW Update I've ever seen explaining:
- how to update FW
- what this FW version fixes/addresses
- how to confirm which FW version you have (before and after update)

so no overlay on HDMI sources?

I really don't think this is ever going to be addressed in any 2700 FW Update for several reasons:

1. This limitation is by design, not a mistake
2. The 2700 replacement (1800/3800) also have this same limitation
3. It may be a hardware limitation that FW cannot change
4. Yamaha has moved on to other products

I really don't think this is ever going to be addressed in any 2700 FW Update for several reasons:

1. This limitation is by design, not a mistake
2. The 2700 replacement (1800/3800) also have this same limitation
3. It may be a hardware limitation that FW cannot change
4. Yamaha has moved on to other products

Do the 800 series really not have it?! Shame, I thought it was a flaw with the 700 range. It really bores me that I have to stare at the small display on the receiver every time.

Do the 800 series really not have it?! Shame, I thought it was a flaw with the 700 range. It really bores me that I have to stare at the small display on the receiver every time.

Yes, 1800 & 3800 have exact same limitation with HDMI input overlay.

FYI: The Yamaha top of the line RX-Z11 (a $5k AVR) has the same HDMI overlay limitation. :)

I don't know about other models, new and existing, like the 863 etc...

Hi, The only link I can see is for firmware not the manual ?

David

Here's the link for the RX-V2700 manual:

http://yamaha-service.de/downloadt....dcat2=2&idcat3=2&idprod=1373&lang=e&dlid=2307

Vary the last 4 numeric digits in the URL and you'll find the other service bulletins, manuals and sometimes firmware. The documents appear roughly sorted by date and the latest document has dlid=2974.

Strangely enough there was no service bulletin to go with the latest firmware post for the RX-V2700. If you scan the above documents (and I have gone through most of them in the 2300-2974 range), an entry for a firmware post is usually preceded or succeeded by both a German and English language version of the service bulletin describing what's in the firmware. Not this time, or perhaps not yet, as the firmware posting is quite recent.

There are older versions of the RX-V2700 firmware posted, as well as service bulletins referencing problems with SACD subwoofer/LFE channel not working with HDMI, fixed in new firmware updates. Also a hardware mod to deal with HDMI drop-outs due to heat build-up in the receiver (not a problem I have personally ever experienced).

The latest firmware I loaded yesterday works just fine. The network function, both for Internet radio and PC/MCX, indeed appears to be more responsive and Internet stations appear to load faster. It still remains a clunky interface to scroll through your album collection (I have over 300 albums and 4000 songs). Wish it would allow SMS-style navigation to more rapidly navigate the list - anyway, I can forget about that, won't be fixed in this firmware.... :rolleyes:.

Other than the (perceived?) responsiveness improvements I haven't found any differences yet. The feature, which I'm personally missing most, is to have the PC/MCX or USB play function handle PCM encapsulated DTS or AC3 bitstream WAV files. I.e, just like the receiver nicely handles a DTS-CD played as PCM over an optical or coaxial connection, I wish the network receiver function would allow its output PCM bitstream to be transparently routed into the decoder functions, so I can play my ripped DTS surround CDs. Don't seem to be able to fool the receiver into such passthrough behaviour.

..........Strangely enough there was no service bulletin to go with the latest firmware post for the RX-V2700..........
The latest firmware I loaded yesterday works just fine. The network function, both for Internet radio and PC/MCX, indeed appears to be more responsive and Internet stations appear to load faster..........
Other than the (perceived?) responsiveness improvements I haven't found any differences yet...... .

Yeah, as I've said, it is quite strange there is no documentation to go with the posted FW Update.
I presume you loaded the 0044 FW? Or was it the 0038 FW?

I'm guessing the SACD via HDMI and LFE issues are related to direct DSD streaming. My 2700 has the factory FW and SACD playback is just fine, including LFE, but I use player decoded SACD and sent as MPCM.

Would this receiver make a good 2nd hand buy?

I've been looking at getting a new onkyo or denon but for a similar price I can get one of these 2nd hand.

Would this receiver make a good 2nd hand buy?

I've been looking at getting a new onkyo or denon but for a similar price I can get one of these 2nd hand.

It certainly would, depending on your goals of upgrading your AVR. What are the main reasons you are looking to upgrade?

I'm getting Quad Lites and want something to compliment them. Also my old reciever is getting a bit long in the tooth and the volume knob no longer works.

SkyHD, DVD and Blu-ray over PS3 and my PC for games/movies. Only need 3 HDMI. Not too fussed on 1080P as my TV is a 42PX70 which is 1080i.

New Denons are a couple of months away and don't want an Onkyo. :)

I can tell you for sure, I won't be trying the new firmware......Lets just say once bitten twice shy. :) Mine works atm and its staying working :)

As I gather David had got a few boxes....Less risk :) Don't you David :) Or are they all ebayed now ;)

Shaz

I have kept the black one and replaced the other with a denon avr-4308 in my main room.

Really like the new room eq software on the denon it is even bettter than Yamaha YPAQ

The Denon On screen Menus are really good and work over HDMI inputs !
The online over the air firmware updates work a treat with no messing around

Stilll love my RXV-2700 I do reccomend using the diagnostics to update the surround sound choices to include Circle sound it is a great addtion

Having purchased an Apple Airport Express to utilise as a wireless bridge, I sat back to listen to internet radio stations on my Yamaha RX-V2700 - and what a huge disappointment it was.

First, only MP3 streams could be received (which is not indicative of the user manual), so I missed-out on some of the radio streams that were important to me (WMA format). Moreover, the quality of the MP3 streams was appalling (such as smoothjazz.com, for example).

So, I've purchased a separate Squeezebox 3 from Amazon for £154. What a revelation compared to the on-board internet radio of the Yamaha. I can now receive all the radio stations that I want, and, quite frankly, the quality of the MP3 streams is near CD quality (to my ears, at least). Moreover, with added firmware, you can listen to all the archived BBC radio programmes.

A very sound investment.

Having purchased an Apple Airport Express to utilise as a wireless bridge, I sat back to listen to internet radio stations on my Yamaha RX-V2700 - and what a huge disappointment it was.

First, only MP3 streams could be received (which is not indicative of the user manual), so I missed-out on some of the radio streams that were important to me (WMA format). Moreover, the quality of the MP3 streams was appalling (such as smoothjazz.com, for example).

So, I've purchased a separate Squeezebox 3 from Amazon for £154. What a revelation compared to the on-board internet radio of the Yamaha. I can now receive all the radio stations that I want, and, quite frankly, the quality of the MP3 streams is near CD quality (to my ears, at least). Moreover, with added firmware, you can listen to all the archived BBC radio programmes.

A very sound investment.

I did the exact same thing! SB3 + 2700. And you are correct, the Internet Radio functionality of the 2700 is quite limited. However, many of the available streams via 2700/vTuner are the exact same quality as what you will find on your SB3. The problem comes in where the 2700 will not display the bitrate of the stream so you have no idea if your selected radio station is 320k or 24k (or anywhere in between). If you are selecting the same bitrate stream of the same station on both the 2700 and the SB3 and compare them I highly doubt you could tell the difference. :smashin:

The SB3 is one amazing little box indeed! ;)

I have seen one of these for £699, should I go for this or stump up for the 3800? I the difference that great between the two?

I have seen one of these for £699, should I go for this or stump up for the 3800? I the difference that great between the two?

Side by side comparison 2700/3800:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/compare/D...omp_items=451511&B_compare.x=27&B_compare.y=6

There is an advantage of the 2700 over the 3800 not listed on the above Yamaha comparison page:
- the 3800 clips HDMI video input, the 2700 does not (full range RGB HDMI passthrough).

Though, this will actually affect very few users as this clipping mostly affects RGB video input from a computer.

Last edited:
Thank you for the answer. I have a Yamaha DSPE800 Porocessor with a NAD amp at present. I think I will keep the NAD and use that for Stereo and whichever Yamaha I choose for Movies.
I thought I may get away with a reciever for all duties, but I cannot see the 3800 being better at Stereo than what I have. So I may not need to pay the extra and go for the 2700.

Thank you for the answer. I have a Yamaha DSPE800 Porocessor with a NAD amp at present. I think I will keep the NAD and use that for Stereo and whichever Yamaha I choose for Movies.
I thought I may get away with a reciever for all duties, but I cannot see the 3800 being better at Stereo than what I have. So I may not need to pay the extra and go for the 2700.

Yup. As long as any present or future HD/BD player you get has all HD Audio decoding on board then there is little need to get the 3800. ;)

I have a Toshiba HD E! and Sony BDP 300. The latter does not have onboard decoding. However, it outputs PCM and DD+, it is also supposed to putput True HD. This over HDMI should be passed as LPCM to the 2700, correct me if I am wrong.

I have a Toshiba HD E! and Sony BDP 300. The latter does not have onboard decoding. However, it outputs PCM and DD+, it is also supposed to putput True HD. This over HDMI should be passed as LPCM to the 2700, correct me if I am wrong.

Well, "outputing" True HD could be bitstream (requiring AVR decoding) and/or player decoded (sent as LPCM).

If the player decodes the True HD then not a problem. Your 2700 will show MPCM as it's audio signal. DTS MA may not be decoded at the player but DTS MA is not nearly as common an HD Audio format as is True HD.

I am also thing of a PS3, which I believe outputs the new formats as LPCM.

Yup, PS3 will do both True HD and DTS MA decoding over LPCM with latest FW Update. That's the route I'll be going as well. :smashin:

Your BDP 300 may well decode True HD as well (most if not all BD players do) I just didn't want you assuming it did decode HD audio then buying the 2700, then "ooops, I can't hear HD Audio". :)

I am now confused. I have talked to Sound and vision today who have a 2700 in, which I am interested in. However, I was told this amp will not receive the lossles formats via HDMI ie LPCM.
Now, this amp is v1.2a and should, if my research is correct receive LPCM. I know I have a Sony BDP 300 which does not have DTS HD or DTS HDmaster audio, but may have True HD after a firmware update, there is no offical line on this, however, a Sony insider on other forums says it will output True HD. I also have a Toshiba HD E1 that does put out True HD and DD+ and DTS HD core.
Please some clarification on this issue!

I am now confused. I have talked to Sound and vision today who have a 2700 in, which I am interested in. However, I was told this amp will not receive the lossles formats via HDMI ie LPCM.
Now, this amp is v1.2a and should, if my research is correct receive LPCM. I know I have a Sony BDP 300 which does not have DTS HD or DTS HDmaster audio, but may have True HD after a firmware update, there is no offical line on this, however, a Sony insider on other forums says it will output True HD. I also have a Toshiba HD E1 that does put out True HD and DD+ and DTS HD core.
Please some clarification on this issue!

If your player decodes the HD audio and sends as LPCM then the 2700 will be just fine. In fact, any AVR can do this if the AVR:
- supports HDMI audio
- supports LPCM/MPCM over HDMI
- is HDMI 1.1 (possibly even HDMI 1.0)

The 2700 meets or exceeds all three criteria. :smashin:

It handles LPCM like a dream! Get a PS3 and you will be covered for all the HD sound formats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom