Yamaha RX-V1065 Owners Thread

2. Using the PS3 to play music, the room seems to have really bad acoustics. In one corner, it sounds awesome and another, sounds like the Samsung LCD speakers as theres no bass, nothing shaking, sounds dead. I've then connected the sub and also moved it around but the sub only made a bit of difference. i thought the sub would rumble the room. I'm going to run the auto-setup using the mic tomorrow.

In my view, a sub is there to augment the base, particularly with the RSW12 with other RS speakers --- why would it shake the room with most music? It's the same with films; if set up properly, you shouldn't be aware of anything coming out of the sub, it's more a case of knowing that something is wrong with the sound if the sub wasn't there. I think that sometimes there can be a tendancy to listen to the sub rather than the overall sound.

Setting the sub to EQ2 will give it a bit of a boost; I'm still playing with that setting, but apart from in action films, where using the EQ2 is still debatable for my liking, EQ1 is the setting that I will normally have it on.

I realise I may be in a minority in this view of how a sub should work, as I know a lot of people like one that throws them off their seat :D so just my opinion.

Got a problem with my RX-V1065... tried to update the firmware yesterday and all was going well until just over 50% completed, but then I received the 'Update Fail' message. So I tried again (& again & again!) but the update just will not complete and I keep getting this 'Update Fail' error message.

I've tried powering off, inserting USB stick & holding the Tone button in and powering on the amp which should start the update immediately, but it just will not recognise the .bin firmware file. The USB stick's activity light flashes as if it's doing something but all I get is 5 seconds of flashing and then 'Update Fail'.

The problem is that the firmware now reads as '047.xxx.027' so it appears as though the new firmware has been partially loaded. The amp turns on but there's no sound coming out any more and I can't run the Auto setup as it's just freezes on 0% when I try to start it.

I've tried 4 separate USB sticks, all formatted as per the instructions with just the single .bin firmware file on and nothing else. Yamaha's technical support line isn't open until tomorrow so I guess I'll have to call them then. :rolleyes:

1. I have Sky HD connected via optical and don't get any issues when switching channels.

2. (Assuming you're playing a CD and not some nasty compressed file?) I'd suggest running the auto setup as a starting point. I don't think setting the speaker sizes to large will effect the LFE channel in surround mixes? (from reading the unintelligible section in the manual) so is it worth trying that too?

What level is your sub set at?

I tried another sky+ box which is a amstrad and guess what, the popping sound was completely gone. :clap: But now i have so many recordings on it that i want to retain and it's out of warranty too. The current one is a Thompson which is around 6 years old. I did a software update and it made no difference. I will need to use the bedroom one for now or see if Sky will exchange it.

Tbh, i was streaming compressed music which is partly to blame.

In my view, a sub is there to augment the base, particularly with the RSW12 with other RS speakers --- why would it shake the room with most music? It's the same with films; if set up properly, you shouldn't be aware of anything coming out of the sub, it's more a case of knowing that something is wrong with the sound if the sub wasn't there. I think that sometimes there can be a tendancy to listen to the sub rather than the overall sound.

Setting the sub to EQ2 will give it a bit of a boost; I'm still playing with that setting, but apart from in action films, where using the EQ2 is still debatable for my liking, EQ1 is the setting that I will normally have it on.

I realise I may be in a minority in this view of how a sub should work, as I know a lot of people like one that throws them off their seat :D so just my opinion.

Today I also ran the auto setup and it set the front, centre and rear speakers to large and it made all the speaker level, distance settings and set the crossover but i changed the settings back to small for fronts, rears and centre and crossover to 80hz but kept all the other settings and it sounded much better.

I also moved the sub around the room and in one corner on the other side, wow :eek:, what a difference. Around the whole room, the bass for flowing and dropping even using a compress mp3 but there is no way I could get the subwoofer cable to that point of the room so i then tried it in other opposite side and it still sounded ok but not as good as the other side i just had it.
Just wish i could get a sub cable there without going through the center off the room.

I then tried various settings and modes and pure direct mode which is just the fronts i believe, the clarity is simply awesome. :D With Stereo mode which is the fronts and sub, the sub seems to distort the sound rather than complement it or aid it. The Amp crossover is being used to the Sub is set to out, eq1 and the volume just above half.

I Really need to get the sub tuned. I guess i'm one who listens to the sub rather then the overall sound. :rolleyes: but the sound of the fronts, centre and rears sound excellent. Once the sub is tuned, the overall sound will be simply excellent.

Also, being a Denon owner too, i dislike the menu layout of the Yamaha. The Denon is much more user intuitive. The Yamaha doesn't even tell you which surround mode is being used. i.e. Dolby Pro II Movie or Music. I need to reselect it to make sure. Its okay for paying DVD's as its automatically selected.

Today I also ran the auto setup and it set the front, centre and rear speakers to large and it made all the speaker level, distance settings and set the crossover but i changed the settings back to small for fronts, rears and centre and crossover to 80hz but kept all the other settings and it sounded much better.

I then tried various settings and modes and pure direct mode which is just the fronts i believe, the clarity is simply awesome. :D With Stereo mode which is the fronts and sub, the sub seems to distort the sound rather than complement it or aid it. The Amp crossover is being used to the Sub is set to out, eq1 and the volume just above half.

I Really need to get the sub tuned. I guess i'm one who listens to the sub rather then the overall sound. :rolleyes: but the sound of the fronts, centre and rears sound excellent. Once the sub is tuned, the overall sound will be simply excellent.

Also, being a Denon owner too, i dislike the menu layout of the Yamaha. The Denon is much more user intuitive. The Yamaha doesn't even tell you which surround mode is being used. i.e. Dolby Pro II Movie or Music. I need to reselect it to make sure. Its okay for paying DVD's as its automatically selected.

I find the 1900 messes up the speaker size on auto, but gets distances and levels right; I do what you did and keep the settings it gets right and then swap the speaker sizes to small all round. It also seems to set the sub crossover (though the manual doesn't say it does) and I change that. I'm currently using 60HZ as I have the RS8s but still deciding between that and 80HZ.

It's difficult to know what to do with the sub gain control; the RSW12 manual says start with it on zero and the Yamaha manual says set it at about half. In a couple of quick tests I did, set at a quater then half, it made no difference to the sound --- if you reduced the gain on the sub, the amps sub gain went up and visa versa. I currently have it set at half on the RSW12.

I don't know if you're talking about the front panel display not showing the decodong/DSP applied, but on my amp, it does show that. There was a time when it showed something else and I think it may have been a result of when I'd gone into the setup menu and maybe left it in a sub menu. I don't know how I fixed it --- I went back into the menu and I think got to somewhere that was related to the DSP setting, came out of setup after going back to the main menu and it was then OK, and showed the DSP.

I find the 1900 messes up the speaker size on auto, but gets distances and levels right; I do what you did and keep the settings it gets right and then swap the speaker sizes to small all round. It also seems to set the sub crossover (though the manual doesn't say it does) and I change that. I'm currently using 60HZ as I have the RS8s but still deciding between that and 80HZ.

It's difficult to know what to do with the sub gain control; the RSW12 manual says start with it on zero and the Yamaha manual says set it at about half. In a couple of quick tests I did, set at a quater then half, it made no difference to the sound --- if you reduced the gain on the sub, the amps sub gain went up and visa versa. I currently have it set at half on the RSW12.

I don't know if you're talking about the front panel display not showing the decodong/DSP applied, but on my amp, it does show that. There was a time when it showed something else and I think it may have been a result of when I'd gone into the setup menu and maybe left it in a sub menu. I don't know how I fixed it --- I went back into the menu and I think got to somewhere that was related to the DSP setting, came out of setup after going back to the main menu and it was then OK, and showed the DSP.

Mine Amp is also set to 80hz and seems a bit boomy so will try 60hz.

Yes, I'm talking about the front panel display. Mine just shows what input is selected. :confused: Will check through the manual.
EDIT : Found it. Info button.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm talking about the front panel display. Mine just shows what input is selected. :confused: Will check through the manual.

flick through the info button on the unit until you come to DSP programme.

Tbh, i was streaming compressed music which is partly to blame.

Please don't spend 2k on quality kit and then play mp3s :(

Anyone else had theirs delivered in the last few days?

I guess I really should buy before the prices go up again :rolleyes:

I've just had mine delivered this morning along with the Q Acoustics 1010i speaker package. Still waiting on the speaker cable though so they are just sitting there waiting for now. Couldn't resist these at the price they are now. I was hoping to wait until nearer Christmas but I'm sure I would have been back up in price by then.

Got a problem with my RX-V1065... tried to update the firmware yesterday and all was going well until just over 50% completed, but then I received the 'Update Fail' message. So I tried again (& again & again!) but the update just will not complete and I keep getting this 'Update Fail' error message.

I've tried powering off, inserting USB stick & holding the Tone button in and powering on the amp which should start the update immediately, but it just will not recognise the .bin firmware file. The USB stick's activity light flashes as if it's doing something but all I get is 5 seconds of flashing and then 'Update Fail'.

The problem is that the firmware now reads as '047.xxx.027' so it appears as though the new firmware has been partially loaded. The amp turns on but there's no sound coming out any more and I can't run the Auto setup as it's just freezes on 0% when I try to start it.

I've tried 4 separate USB sticks, all formatted as per the instructions with just the single .bin firmware file on and nothing else. Yamaha's technical support line isn't open until tomorrow so I guess I'll have to call them then. :rolleyes:

Did you get this sorted?

Please don't spend 2k on quality kit and then play mp3s :(

I ended up deleting my whole Itunes library and started again using Apple lossless. Got a lot less music but it sounds a lot better.

(Not sure how lossless Apple lossless actually is).

a quick question, i been recommended this receiver over the denon 2310 i was also looking at. Can it upscale to 1080p via the HDMI (for sky hd purposes) :lease:

I ended up deleting my whole Itunes library and started again using Apple lossless. Got a lot less music but it sounds a lot better.

(Not sure how lossless Apple lossless actually is).

Good show. :clap: Lossless is lossless I guess. I don't own a ipod, so haven't experienced Apples proprietary take.

a quick question, i been recommended this receiver over the denon 2310 i was also looking at. Can it upscale to 1080p via the HDMI (for sky hd purposes) :lease:

It can only upscale analogue sources.

I was going to get the 1910 for that purpose alone, but went for the sound over the picture. Am I really going to notice the difference between 1080i & p from SkyHD and am I going to have the amp on all the time to do so? Certainly not on the 32" I currently have and prob not on the 46" I'll eventually get.

I guess the trick is to see if you can demo this somewhere and see if you notice the difference.

In my view, it's a complete waste of time deinterlacing a 1080i source to make it 1080p (it's not upscaling). You will see no improvement on your TV picture, and the processing could make it worse. If you were looking at £2k amps, maybe you'd see a difference, but I suspect it would be minimal.

thnx for the info guys, a quite a few people are telling me the same thing about deinterlacing. Now all i need to do is find one in stock locally so i can compare it against my other choices - the denon 1910 or 2310.

Is it possible to output to Zone 2 (which is my kitchen)from the same optical input source that I mainly use for Zone 1 (living room) ?

Yes but the question was not answered explicitly or succinctly although we did agree that
1)multichannel audio cannot be outputted
2)that a sub wont be usable

but the question of whether an optical input can be used to be fed into a 2nd zone output is still rather vague or unverified :D

Hence, if I can repeat my question that is , whether the same input source that is fed from my optical for my main 5.1 system can if chosen be used to output form the same source into a 2.1 sort of system in zone 2.

Sorry to be a nuisance :oops:

Yes but the question was not answered explicitly or succinctly although we did agree that
1)multichannel audio cannot be outputted
2)that a sub wont be usable

but the question of whether an optical input can be used to be fed into a 2nd zone output is still rather vague or unverified :D

Hence, if I can repeat my question that is , whether the same input source that is fed from my optical for my main 5.1 system can if chosen be used to output form the same source into a 2.1 sort of system in zone 2.

Sorry to be a nuisance :oops:
In the same thread from post 7

" do you mean that the second zone could only utilise analogue input ? Or in other words i cant use a digital input into the yamaha and choose the 2nd zone as output ?

Correct. The Zone 2 amp output will only work with analogue sources. "

In the same thread from post 7

" do you mean that the second zone could only utilise analogue input ? Or in other words i cant use a digital input into the yamaha and choose the 2nd zone as output ?

Correct. The Zone 2 amp output will only work with analogue sources. "

You should be able to use the second zone speaker outputs with other sources though? I think it is just the Zone 2 pre outs that limit you to analogue sources?

I think this to be the case with most amps with second zone capabilities and not just a quirk of the RXV1065.

You should be able to use the second zone speaker outputs with other sources though? I think it is just the Zone 2 pre outs that limit you to analogue sources?

I think this to be the case with most amps with second zone capabilities and not just a quirk of the RXV1065.

No the limitation applies to all Zone 2 outputs. The reason is that because zone 2 is designed to be independent of zone 1, you need a seperate DAC\Decoder for digital signals, most amps don't have this and thats why the analog inputs only to multizones is the norm.

No the limitation applies to all Zone 2 outputs. The reason is that because zone 2 is designed to be independent of zone 1, you need a seperate DAC\Decoder for digital signals, most amps don't have this and thats why the analog inputs only to multizones is the norm.

According to the manual, the Zone 2 output of the RXV1065 does work with anything attached to the receivers USB port though.

Select “USB” to use the USB features (page 45) in
Zone 2.

Select “DOCK” to use the iPod features (page 42) or Bluetooth features (page 44) in Zone 2.

???

Last edited:
Is there any other way around using the second zone for music from the same optical input (which i normally use for 5.1 sound)by way of additional gear/kit/setup ?

Last edited:
Picked mine up today from Richer Sounds at £509.

Is their 5 year warranty worth having? Seems quite good value, but extended warranties have such a bad reputation as a rip off

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom