Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RX-V1065 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by PapAV, Oct 21, 2009.

1. PapAV

PapAV Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I didn't see one, so having just purchased the afore mentioned, I thought I'd start one :)

I've just upgraded to the latest firmware from the Yamaha site so I can get my Sky HD audio paired with the HDMI input.

I've done the auto setup (which seems really, very good) and had a listen a some streamed FLACs which were really impressive (Compared to my 15+ year old Sony 940).

I can't seem to find out how to change the inputs on the Scene buttons or even if you can. It would be handy if the buttons BD, TV, CD, Radio - could actually matchup with the inputs those devices are connected to, otherwise it just means using the AV / HDMI buttons instead.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. scrapbook

scrapbook Active Member

Ratings:
    +445
    How do you upgrade teh software on this model...is it via teh USB port?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. philvella

philvella Member

Ratings:
    +29
    What's the easiest way to tell if the amp is running the latest firmware?
  4. PapAV

PapAV Member

Ratings:
    +15
    There are instructions via the link I added earlier (which also has the firmware to download), but to cut a long story short:

1. Power on the amp holding the straight button down
    2. Turn the program knob one to the left to see what version you are running.
    3. Turn the program knob two to the left to upgrade firmware via USB.

Very easy, although the first USB stick I tried didn't work.

The new firmware allows you plug your Sky HD into HDMI 4 and pair it with the Optical in on AV-4 :clap:

Now I just need to work out how to change those pesky scene buttons to do what I want.

By the way... Anynet rocks! :thumbsup: I'm just discovering the kind of things it can do , but turning on the ps3, switching input, muting the tv in one button is clever. Then being able to change the amp volume via the sky remote which is set up to work with the TV just freaked me right out. Who needs a Harmony (Yes I have a Harmony)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. scrapbook

scrapbook Active Member

Ratings:
    +445
    Have you sussed the scene buttonsyet?
  6. PapAV

PapAV Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Not yet, still playing around with some settings and listening to various sources.

I've got the page open on the (rubbish) manual, which suggests is may be possible, so I'll try a bit later today hopefully.

I've also got a problem with the Sky HD audio coming in on the optical AV-4 input only appearing to be PCM and not DD. :( (Yes, it's outputting in DD on the box.). I can't remember if it worked on the other optical input, before I did the firmware upgrade. I'll try switching ports after today to see if it is AV-4 specific (required to synch with HDMI 4 for Sky HD).

On the other hand, I had a quick listen to Watchmen and Kingdom of Heaven.

Wow! :clap:

It's my first experience of the HD audio formats, but everything is just better. Everything; Clarity of dialogue, quality of sound, surround effects, surround balance, immersion, everything.

The opening of Watchmen for instance:

The dialogue coming from the TV in the comedian's apartment was always quite muffled with my old DTS amp, no more, even at very low volume, the clarity is amazing. Nat King Cole's Unforgettable starts in the commercial coming mainly from the centre channel before expanding out to the fronts - what a difference! It's an amazing change, I'd say considerably more pronounced than the difference between MP3 & FLAC - very impressed.

The door opens (I don't know if it scared me any more than the DTS soundtrack but it still thundered) and the fight sounds are perfect, you get more of a feeling of a fight happening in an apartment and it, and people being broken up, with the breaking glass of glass throughout leading up to the money moment through the window which is just magical. Throughout you have the juxtaposition of Nat's dulcet tones crooning away beautifully and all fits together wonderfully.

I could go on in much greater detail, but I need to get some food and do some stuff, but whatever, I'm very pleased. :thumbsup:
  7. PapAV

PapAV Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Errrr.......yes (he says sheepishly), you err.... select the source you want and erm.......hold the button down. :rolleyes:

ahem.
  8. PapAV

PapAV Member

Ratings:
    +15
    So a major case of RTFM over here, well the addendum you can download with the firmware.

So for those with Sky HD:

1. Download the latest firmware and install following instructions.
    2. Plug HDMI into HDMI-4 & Optical into AV-4
    3. Select AV-4 on the amp
    4. Press Option button
    5. Select Video Out -> HDMI 4
    6. Hold down the TV scene button

So, hooray! Everything is just about setup the way I want it and I'm very pleased. I'm sure I'll do some more playing and may make further refinements to my setup, but as of now I'm very happy.

Now I just need to find that Dark side of the Moon SACD :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. philvella

philvella Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Well my amp has arrived and I was very surprised to find that updating the firmware was an absolute breeze.

So far I'm still playing with the settings to get the best out of my Kef 3005SE speakers but overall I am really impressed. Having skipped between the best bits of various DVDs and watched a couple of blu-rays I definitely agree that the HD sound format is wonderfully clear.

One question:
    Using the amp to decode the HD formats means that all of the processing modes are not available. Am I missing anything and is it worth using the blu-ray to decode the HD formats and send PCM to the amp? My gut instinct is to leave the source material alone but I'd be interested if anyone has tried it.
  10. scrufftyguy

scrufftyguy Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Hi, Is it possible to get this amp in silver, or do they only come in black? :)
  11. PapAV

PapAV Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I imagine your BD Player will decode as well as the amp, but I'll let others correct me if I'm wrong. I set my PS3 to Bitstream more as a test process than anything else (so I could see the formats reaching and being decoded by the amp). I've never been one for processing modes, but if that's your thing, I don't think you'll lose anything. Have a play and see if you prefer it I guess.
  12. PapAV

PapAV Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Black only at the moment (and a damned good thing too), dunno if it will change. :)
  13. Passingbat

Passingbat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,245
    Yes, all those years when other countries had black and the UK only got the silver (sorry, titanium) colour. People bought from europe so that they could get a black one, which was also a reciever, rather than the purley amp version we got here on certain models.
  14. scrufftyguy

scrufftyguy Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Black it is then! Thanks for the replies! :thumbsup:
  15. mykeg

mykeg Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi I have just purchased an RX-V1065 and in the process of setting it up. My system consists of a Panasonic BD35 blu-ray, virgin v+ box, kef 2005.1 speakers,rel quake subwoofer and a panasonic 4210G plasma what settings would you recommend to get the best out of these components as a starting point as the manual is confusing. Thanks!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  16. PapAV

PapAV Member

Ratings:
    +15
    After the firmware update listed above, I just followed the auto setup with the supplied mic (on a tripod, on my sofa) and checked through that the settings (distances, crossovers etc.) were correct.

I'm sure I'll have much more of a play when I get more time, but at the moment I'm just reveling in the upgrade, when I'm over that I'll start fiddling.
  17. bbasra

bbasra Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Mines still in the box but me MA RS's are out on display now.

Just can't get the time to connect everything up. Trying to do a certification so revising, sort out new Ltd company for job, gym, playing with the little one ..... and the list goes on.

I don't think mine will be connected up until 15th Nov once my exam is done. :mad: Just not enough hours in the day or days in the week. :mad:
  18. Hasnath

Hasnath Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Loving mine so far with a pair of rs8, RSLCR and sb12+, everyday its sounding better as the speakers and burning in.

Only trouble so far is with the USB drives im using, it says that a USB is connected and then i get random letters on the front display and nothing in the drive contents on the GUI.
    What format should i use FAT 15/32? NTFS?
  19. bbasra

bbasra Member

Ratings:
    +27
    FAT should be fine.
  20. philvella

philvella Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Watched The Dark Knight last night but not sure that I was getting full HD sound because the display on the amp said "Dolby Digital" even though the disc is Dolby True HD.

The player (Panasonic BD35) is set to bitstream and the display lit up with the HD format at the weekend when watching House of Flying Daggers (stunning surround effects).

I'm sure that other people out there have tried Dark Knight, what does your amp decode? Any ideas? I am running the latest firmware.
  21. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,643
    You have to select TrueHD from within the discs options prior to playing the movie in order to get the TrueHD audio. Not sure if you did this?
  22. philvella

philvella Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks, I didn't know that I needed to do that. Is this something that has to be done with most discs and does it have to be done every time? Strange, I presumed that the default would be HD.

I'll try again tonight. :smashin:
  23. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,643
    The HD audio is optional on Blu-ray discs and more often than not offered as a secondary option.
  24. Liquid

Liquid Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

My Yamaha RX-V1065 arrived yesterday and I have it paired with Teufel Motiv 3 speakers. I originally bought the Onkyo 607 but was advised on these forums that the Yahama was a better buy and match for my speakers.

I'm just wondering what would be considered an average volume level on the amp? Does it vary according to speaker set? I'm finding I have to turn the amp up to -20 to get sufficient volume - does that sound about right? It just seems a long way to turn up the volume to get sufficient sound from the amp.
  25. scrapbook

scrapbook Active Member

Ratings:
    +445
    Anyone having issues with the dialogue on this amp not as clear as it should be? WHat hi-fi mentioned it in their review, for it is worth..which isn't alot normally :devil:
  26. Liquid

Liquid Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Regarding the dialogue issue, in their forums What Hi-Fi also said:

"this is in comparative terms. It's only when up against the Denon that the Yamaha '1065 falls slightly short: there's no way it'd be a five-star product if it was deficient."

and

"In a head-to-head test between the two receivers, it wasn't a unanimous verdict in favour of one or the other - some testers preferred the Yamaha, others the Denon. Hence them both being five stars".

So I think what they're saying is that compared to the Denon 2310, the dialogue isn't quite as clear but that doesn't mean it isn't "as clear as it should be" or in any way a major issue.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  27. scrapbook

scrapbook Active Member

Ratings:
    +445
    Not sure on the technicalities, but it varies depending upon the speakers. It could be something to so with how easy they are to drive perhaps.

I know on my current pioneer amp when i changed from Mission to Athena speakers I found I had to turn the amp up quite a bit more to obtain a similar level of sound.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. Liquid

Liquid Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Right ok, thanks for that mate. There's a thread on What HiFi about the RX-V1065 and someone was saying the same thing about having to turn the volume up to ~-20 too so I thought it might be a common issue or something.

I did notice a 'Volume Trim' option which appears to adjust the volume level in dB. Is this some kind of Volume compensation or something?
  29. PapAV

PapAV Member

Ratings:
    +15
    It is incredible, it was the first change I noticed from old DTS amp. The clarity of dialogue is simply stunning.

The first thing I thought, when I heard the dialogue clarity at the start of Watchmen, was about that review and how I couldn't give a wotsit if the Denon was better.

The Denon may be a small percentage better? Is it 200 notes better?
  30. PapAV

PapAV Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I have mine set anywhere between -35 & 0.

-35dB: Quiet room listening to some background Radio 3 whilst I work :boring:
    -25dB to -20dB: Playing some PS3 :)
    -20dB to -10dB: Watching movies :D
    -10dB to 0dB: Listening to loud music :clap:
    +0dB: You better have a detached house or a good excuse. :devil:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1