Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha dsp a1 vs yamaha dsp ax1

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by chumsut, Jul 11, 2008.

1. chumsut

chumsut Member

Ratings:
    +61
    hi there,
    i had a DSP A1 for bout 5 years and then i bought my mated AX1 when he upgraded.
    both great machines but im finding the AX1 less involving and bright with music and movies.
    im am having to turn it up louder to achieve the same effect.
    i believe i have it all wired identically as the A1 and i think i have the settings much the same,
    im just not finding it as exciting as the A1,
    any suggestions?
    am i missing something?
    anyone else have this problem?
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  2. Helicon

Helicon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +269
    When i changed from an A1 to an AX1, the quality of amplification stood out straight away. Music was much better, and films sounded clearer too. The AX1's amplification posesses more finesse than the A1's rather 'edgy at high volumes' presentation, so it may seem quieter, but it's just a little smoother. You may still be used to that edginess.

There are many settings to mess with - are the parameter settings all on zero? Have they been messed with? You can reset all these in the Set Menu (i forget where exactly - number 12?). You might find that the volume level might be a little different to what you're used to, so you may have to play films at -20dB, whereas with the A1 it might've been -25dB. This won't affect quality though.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. chumsut

chumsut Member

Ratings:
    +61
    this is a marked difference, the A1 played movies at about -40,
    the AX1 is about -25 for the same effect.
    guess i will just have to keep tweeking.
    i still hav the A1, as i wasnt sure about the AX1 and still have it in reserve i case i change my mind.lol?
    if i was sellig either what would i be looking to obtain? anyone any ideas
  4. Helicon

Ratings:
    +269
    If i remember rightly, you can change the 'level trim' for each input. I wouldn't recommend changing it by much, but you could up that by 1 or 2, which will give it a little more impact. You could also up the individual speaker levels by a dB or 2 as well.

You may have to accept that you will need to turn it up a little more. My old 2400 would be at about -30/-25, whereas my 3800 is between -20/-15 for my normal viewing.
  5. russraff

russraff Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Hold on... wasn't the A1 an absolute analogue volume, like most hifi, and the AX1 has a digital incremental decibel volume? If this is the case then the older A1 will increase volume in a linear fashion, whether at the beginning of the scale or at the end. So 1/4 volume will be half as loud as 1/2 volume (which is where the max volume is on this type of volume, if I recall correctly). The AX1, however, uses a decibel scale that, by its nature, makes very little difference at the beginning but a lot of difference towards max volume (-0db). In this case, if min volume is -60db then -30 will be a lot less than half as loud as 0db.

Hope this makes sense. Of course, if the AX1 is the same as the A1, volume wise, then ignore this post entirely. I do know that my old A2 amp was quite bright compared to the AZ1...

Russell
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. chumsut

chumsut Member

Ratings:
    +61
    sorry russ, i dont get you,
    you will have to make is stupid proof, :eek:
  7. Helicon

Ratings:
    +269
    Russ is right actually.

The volume controls are different. The A1's maximum output is between 12 and 1 o'clock on the volume dial, whereas on the AX1 it's digital, so maximum really is maximum.

The AX1 will have greater control in the lower region than the A1.
  8. Dave H

Dave H Active Member

Ratings:
    +140
    :eek:
    I have never been past 12 the maximum on mine is 10 or 11 at a push.

Dave.