Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030/2030/3030 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by Shenoizy, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Shenoizy

Shenoizy Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Now that my Onkyo TX-SR876 amp has been sold I am just about to order the Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030 and thought I'd set up a thread for all owners and potential owners to discuss this and the other Aventage AV Receivers as part of Yamaha's 2013/2014 line up.

For those still seeking information on them, head straight to the Yamaha website to see a comparison between the 1030/2030/3030.

If you have the RX-A1020 (reviewed) or similar models from last year it would be great to hear how you got on with them. Any tips or recommendations would also be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  2. vadergr

vadergr Member

Ratings:
    +4
    In spec terms, this generation seems identical with the previous one except the different dacs and video processor...
  3. Shenoizy

Shenoizy Member

Ratings:
    +21
    You're mostly right. I think they've added MHL support too, not that that's anything to shout about.
  4. Jimbo73

Jimbo73 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Yamaha have also announced Spotify support for the '30 models, which they will not be bringing to the previous gen.
  5. fayeanddavid

fayeanddavid Member

Ratings:
    +115
    And I guess that this is the question......................just how much of an upgrade are these changes compared to the xx20 series??
    Or is it semantics and we mere mortals won't hear or see the difference??
  6. vadergr

vadergr Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Not worth the extra money if you are asking this...
    The ESS dac may sound different , but not necessarily worse than the B.Browns (no one ever complained).
  7. fayeanddavid

fayeanddavid Member

Ratings:
    +115
    "sound different", what is the consensus.................., more detail, warmer, brighter etc etc?

Thanks
  8. Shenoizy

Shenoizy Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I certainly wouldn't expect anybody to replace their x020 with a x030 for these upgrades and the improvements are unlikely to be night and day differences but from speaking to a few shops they have said it has better dynamics and scale.

I've never had an amp with networking capabilities or control via a mobile app so for me these are going to be revolutionary features. I've already downloaded them and had a play and am very impressed with the 'cool' factor. :thumbsup:
  9. vadergr

vadergr Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The ypao performs subwoofer equalization on all three big models?
  10. mtenga

mtenga Member

Ratings:
    +238
    Yes.
  11. mtenga

mtenga Member

Ratings:
    +238
    Yep very mean. They are only interested in selling the new amps. Doubt there is anything technical stopping them adding it to the 20 series.

They are not the only ones though. When denon got standard spotify support last year they only added it to certain 13 series models and bypassed the 12 series altogether. Pioneers new and better remote app would only support newer models which must have been annoying to people who had spent up to two grand a few months earlier on the previous series.

Once they've got your money....

But having said that if you buy a car you can't take it back to a dealership 12 months later and ask them to add any new feature that the manufacturer might have come up with, even if technically possible etc...
  12. Shenoizy

Shenoizy Member

Ratings:
    +21
    So what are the benefits of Spotify support within the amp itself rather than streaming music from the app on your phone or computer?
  13. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,564
    Non apart from the convenience of not having to access your account via another external device.
  14. mtenga

mtenga Member

Ratings:
    +238
    There is also the point about the wireless connection. When you stream Spotify from the app on your IPAD to your receiver the connection occasionally goes down and its heavy on battery life. With Connect whilst you are still controlling Spotify from your I-device you are not actually streaming from it. The receiver takes the stream directly and the Pad just controls it. So its more efficient all around.

Also I've had Spotify inbuilt directly on two or three receivers and invariably the interface is rubbish. Its far better controlling from a Pad so Connect is the best of both worlds. But no big deal.
  15. mtenga

mtenga Member

Ratings:
    +238
    But they are bound to say that aren't they?

One other difference is that the 2030 will do digital to zone 2 whereas the 2020 won't. But they've dropped HQV video support on the 30 for their own solution which is a downgrade, though if you've got a decent flat panel there is no need to use the video functions at all.

I weighed up the 20 and 30 series and given the price difference I went for 20. Can't say I regret that at any level.
  16. Shenoizy

Shenoizy Member

Ratings:
    +21
    @mtenga, I only use the free Spotify account so the built in support is not a big deal for me (yet). Regarding the x20 vs. x30 series, I expect there are currently good discounts on the outgoing model but I got a good discount on my 1030 so it made sense to take the new model.

I'm just reading the manual and cleaning up my speakers and AV stand before it arrives on Monday.
  17. mtenga

mtenga Member

Ratings:
    +238
    I hope you enjoy it, I'm sure its a fine amp. But the 2020 is a nine channel amp and higher level than the 1030. I paid a grand for mine and they can be had for 900 now. I'm going to assume the 1030 is pricier than that but haven't checked. But there is the kudos of the newer amp. If that's important.
  18. Shenoizy

Shenoizy Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I'm sure it is marginally better but I don't have nine speakers to power. I don't think there's any kudos in having a newer amp, there will be another model next year after all. I got mine for under £900 so can't complain really.

The unit arrived today :) and I've cleared my living space ready to plug it all in this evening once I get a few things done.
  19. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,564
    I think you are misinterpreting what mtenga is saying? The RXA1030 is the newer amp with the premium price, a price that equates to the price you can expect to buy the higher end, but older RXA2020 for. Why is it advantageous to buy the RXA1030 when you can have the superior RXA2020 for about the same price?
  20. Shenoizy

Shenoizy Member

Ratings:
    +21
    That's a fair point. I got it for a good price and I'm not sure the difference in sound quality between the 1030 and 2020 will be that significant, though it does have more powerful amps. Either way I'm sure we are all happy with our purchase.

This weekend I'll be able to give it a proper thrashing. I like the app control and quick access to AV inputs and 'Scenes' compared to my older Onkyo.
  21. PH001

PH001 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I just bought a new 2020 for £875 and have been busy tinkering this eve. One thing that seemed odd to me was the default bass and treble settings (this is before running any kind of cal etc). The bass was set to +7db and treble to +1db?? Seems odd to have such a high default setting. Can anybody else confirm?

I am also very disappointed that i cannot get any audio over hdmi to zone 2 or 3. Big problem for me as I don't use any analogue audio :-(
  22. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,564
    HDMI and S/PDIF sources can be output to the additional zones with the RXA2020, but only while using the PARTY MODE.

There are very few AV receivers that can independently convey digital HDMI and S/PDIF sources to additional audio zones. If wanting this feature then you'd need to look at this years higher end Denon or Marantz AV receivers.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  23. PH001

PH001 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    It does seem a big backward step though. Me 7 year old Sony had a/b speaker switching so I could easily turn on speakers in another room whilst turning the main ones off. I just dont seem to be able to do this with the Yamaha which is very surprising.

What do you owners tend to have your tone controls set to?
  24. PH001

PH001 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I suppose i could just run it in party mode and turn the main zone volume to 0?
  25. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,564
    The A and B option of old shared the same front onboard amplifiers and didn't allow for independant sources via each of the two sets of speakers. The zone capabilities of newer AV receivers allows each pair of speakers to be powered by their own amplification stage and use different audio sources independently of one another. A/B speaker switching isn't the same thing as multi zone audio.
  26. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,564
    I believe the master volume effects all speakers while in PARTY MODE?
  27. PH001

PH001 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    True, so how poor is it that i cannot do a function from a 7 year old £500 amp on Yamaha's 2012 flagship model (almost). I just want to play music over hdmi in another room and turn the main speakers off. Dont need different source etc.
  28. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,564
    Well what is the primary function of an AV receiver and why buy one assuming it does something it doesn't claim to be able to do? The additional zoning capabilities are a fringe benefit only accessible if you are not using all of the receiver's onboard amplifiers for their intended purpose. The receiver would have no additional zones if using all of the amplification for its intended purpose. If you want a multi room audio system then buy a multi room audio system and not an AV receiver ;)

By the way, it can't fly either :(
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  29. PH001

PH001 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I think even the most diligent person would be hard pressed to discover it cannot route hdmi audio to additional zones prior to purchase. Its buried on something like page 127 of the user manual! It's not a huge issue really as i will just have to buy a speaker selector switch. Its just not a function I expected to lose.

Any feedback on the tone settings?
  30. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,564
    Not sure of whether or not you are aware of it, but this thread has nothing to do with the x20 models and is intended for posts relating to the new x30 models.