Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XXLS400 - a saviour or recipe for confusion?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by creative, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Badger0-0

Badger0-0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,008
    Well it's a bloody boosting circuit whatever :p

It would be nice if Tom came on and explained imo.

Maybe one of you guys could get him on to do just that? :thumbsup:
  2. Member 639844

Member 639844 Former Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,134
    How about sod all that and just give the dam thing a right good listening too :D :clap:
  3. Badger0-0

Ratings:
    +2,008
    Hopefully, a certain stoutly sort, is.

And I don't mean Adam Rayner :D

(gulp)
  4. LadFromWales

LadFromWales Member

Ratings:
    +20
    /me is shocked! Wednesday!
  5. micb3rd

micb3rd Member

Ratings:
    +75
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,368
    the man himself can be found here:

Active Filters

but it all gets technical :D ie over my head :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. RAZAUL28

RAZAUL28 Member

Ratings:
    +2

My thoughts exactly....had my XLS200 less then 2 months.... If i knew this was going to be shipped out i would have held on a little while longer....
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Chris.Jones

Chris.Jones Member

Ratings:
    +9
    My timing was a bit off as well. I'd ordered the Monolith not long before this appeared on the BK website. It certainly would have been a consideration for me, as I use the sub for music 90% of the time.

I'll be very interested to see how this compares with the Monolith for music, and whether the sealed enclosure and more powerful amp can actually sound better.
  9. phil2009

phil2009 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    That was my way of thinking when I goy my xls200, its quite a bit overpowering for my needs, but at least I know when I crank up the vol, the sub isnt at full tilt.
  10. LadFromWales

LadFromWales Member

Ratings:
    +20
    My XXLS400 come yesterday :devil:

It's ok so far, but with the few places I can place the sub at the moment, other seating positions get a much better feel than I do in mine :(

I'm using a 640R, have it connected via both the high and low inputs. At one point my left speaker stopped working when playing music so disconnected and reconnected just the sub, and noticed that the high level input only gets to around -32dB of average CD playback before it begins backing off the volume, as in no matter how much I turn up the volume on the AVR the sub gets no louder. Of course I can up the gain, but, I'm thinking if I were to adjust the gain when playing music at -25dB, and then turned down the AVR, the sub wouldn't start getting quieter until I'd turned it lower than -32dB or so. Is this normal when using the high level for stereo?

Also, unrelated, I've noticed that when I run my AVR using analog, but not selecting analog direct, there is a slight reverb through the speakers? Any ideas? I'm sure the issue persists when using stereo over toslink too, obviously have no ability to use analog direct then though haha.

Watched the new version of The Italian Job last night, the safe drop bit was pretty good, I've got the low level gain at 11oclock, all AVR outputs are at 0dB atm, 80Hz cross. Anything I should change?
  11. xander32

xander32 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Excuses for mine poor english :cool:(i`m from the Netherlands). I`ve followed this topic from the start. I`m interested in reviews about the xxls 400.

@Ladyfromwales85: ask your question to: ralf@ra-subwoofers.nl
    He is the BK dealer in the Netherlands and he does know a lot about speakers and subwoofers, and his english is a much better then mine ;).

Sander.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  12. LadFromWales

LadFromWales Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I've decided that I think my XXLS400 is faulty.
    I noticed yesterday that at one point when I switched the filter from out to in the back to out, I gained lots of bass as it was lacking, requiring me to have the gain at around 2oclock to hear anything over my stand mounts.

Got home from work today, left powered off, high level on 10, low on 11oclock, played a few tracks, bass was fine, went away, come back, no perceivable bass from the subwoofer. Upped the gain to 2oclock, and I hear the bigger beats of bass and nothing else, but at this point I can locate the subwoofer audibly as it is only playing some of the bass coming over high level, very sharply. Unplugging the main speakers shows this even more. Switching the amp to stereo+sub rather than analog direct shows similarly quiet performance unless pushed over 2oclock.

I was getting a healthy amount of bass at 10oclock with music using analog direct, now I hear hardly anything.

Unplugged and waited for red power light to dim (takes ages!), power back on, and bass is what I can imagine is normal. But with it acting weird, I've no idea how it should really sound when set to 10oclock!

Guess it's a call to BK in the morning :(
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  13. phil2009

phil2009 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I have my xls200 set to just under 9.30 and I get plenty of bass, so the xls400 must have stacks of bass at 11oclock. But then again my sub is in a 3mtr square room.
  14. LadFromWales

LadFromWales Member

Ratings:
    +20
    and my room is only just over 4m by just over 3m!

Something definately seems amiss. Ran the sub via high outputs with speakers unplugged, loads of bass. Add speakers, bass output drops hugely, no driver movement from sub with AVR volume at -30dB. Remove speakers, bass output remains very quiet.

I was so chuffed to get my gloss black 9 days from ordering!
    Trying to rule out all options before I call them tomorrow
  15. Badger0-0

Ratings:
    +2,008
    Would -30dB be about halfway on the amp's volume?

If so, I wonder if protection is starting to cut in on the 640?

I remember reading that you shouldn't go past 12 o'clock with that amp.

Might be nothing, but just a thought?
  16. LadFromWales

LadFromWales Member

Ratings:
    +20
    The volume goes further than -30dB happily when driving speakers normally, the 640R can push around 175watts into 8ohms when in stereo...

I've put everything back as is now, speakers hooked up normally, Neutrik cable hooked up black>left negative white>left positive red>right positive.
    Sub volume is set to 10oclock, crossover at around 50hz, which hasn't been touched throughout all this faffing to get it working consistantly.

Unplugging the lot then replugging just the sub can result in a decent bass response, add the speakers (with sub cables unplugged from sub), plug back into sub, bass is significantly reduced. Increasing the gain at this point just results in occasional thumps for beats in songs, with no bassline. Unplug the speakers again, the bass remains reduced. I cannot pinpoint a single variable.

When it appears to be working fine, 10oclock is enough to shake my attic hatch and all my doors when playing some Bassotronics. When it's not, the some song sounds flat as the sub is outputting little if anything noticable at all.

I'm assuming the BK amp has some form of automatic gain control to compensate for the varients in power it may receive from different power amps. It just acts as though it's become overly unsensitive and responds to very little from the source material.

So frustrated now. I hoped the only issue I'd have with my new toy is finding the ideal home in the living room for it but that's not how it's gone :(
  17. thebokke

thebokke Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Do you have the same issues with the sub when connected to the low level output from the receiver? Try running this not in the direct or pure mode on the receiver and see if this has an effect.
  18. LadFromWales

LadFromWales Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Yes, when the subwoofer becomes quiet on the high level input, it is similarly quiet on the low level. I have tried only connecting one input at a time, throughout trying to get high level to work correctly, low level hasn't been connected. I then connected just the low level input and set my AVR to stereo+sub, the sub output remained very quiet unless the gain is pushed round to 2oclock where it just reproduces the peaks of drum beats like it's been doing on the high level.

Going to give them a ring now, see what they say!
  19. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo Active Member

Ratings:
    +785
    The diagram in the bottom left looks like a doctors explanation for giving birth :confused:

Attached Files:

20. tony brazao

tony brazao Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Any indication as to when Russ will be sharing the test data? :)
  21. phil2009

phil2009 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Ive never just had my xls200 sub working on its own, cos its too much trouble to unconnect the speakers.Oh yeah just upped the gain about 2mm,(9.30) perfetic I know, but Ive been messing about with the gain for about 2months now to try to get the sound spot on. Im fussy I know:D
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  22. Badger0-0

Ratings:
    +2,008
    Not a clue mate.
    I was under the impression he was listening to one, but I may have been wrong.
    It could just be that he's pushed for time?

It might be worth sending him a PM :)
  23. xander32

xander32 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    14 days ago i`ve listen the xls 300, the xxls 400 and the Monolith. The Monolith is a beast with movies. But the 400 is much faster with music and goes pretty deep with movies too.

I think the 400 does have about 90% of the performance of the Monolith.

Sander.
  24. Kasch

Kasch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How did the XXLS400 compare to the XLS300?
  25. xander32

xander32 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The 300 is just a good allrounder. In mine opinion is the 300 a good sub for movies and also for music. But the 400 was faster, louder and goes a little deeper.

Sander.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  26. Jamestuk

Jamestuk Member

Ratings:
    +24
    My 400 should be coming on Monday! A week late which is a pity as I had the house to myself this weekend, but can't wait!
  27. Member 96948

Member 96948 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,848
    I haven't received the test unit as of yet.

Russell
  28. Brad.F

Brad.F Member

Ratings:
    +2
    BK had better send you a unit soon, I have money in my pocket waiting !
  29. Kasch

Kasch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got this response from BK; "The XLS400 does go deeper, louder and is faster than the XLS300/PR, in fact I think we may have killed the poor XLS300/PR off by introducing the XXLS400."

So now I think I will just take the chance and order the XXLS400 today...
  30. tony brazao

tony brazao Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I have an idea. I can collect one and demo it for you at my house, BK are about 4 miles from my home. I can connect it up to my AV system and you can tell me what to do over the phone in order to measure the sub's performance, better still, I will let you listen to it down the phone (I have a mobile phone you know) so you can hear how good (or bad?) it will sound :hiya: :oops: