1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xtreamer or PCH?? worth the extra ££ ???

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by irradiated, Jul 17, 2009.

1. sunderland

sunderland Member

Ratings:
    +244
    yes just look at the picture all day quality
  2. gz5ztg

gz5ztg Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Good point about A110s once C-200 comes out.

I have decided to give the xtreamer a punt. I quite like the idea that they are going to make the s/w open source, should be quite good then with strong community building all sorts for it.
  3. sunderland

sunderland Member

Ratings:
    +244
    yes but how long before they are out,dont want to wait to long
  4. Member 351202

Member 351202 Member

Ratings:
    +163
    I can even put a film on for you - any requests?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Member 351202

Member 351202 Member

Ratings:
    +163
    The dlink models with open source divx software have some niffty stuff for them so lets hope the xtreamer goes well.
  6. sunderland

sunderland Member

Ratings:
    +244
    can i use my old netgear usb adaptor instead of the USB WiFi adapter for the popcorn cheers
  7. zantarous

zantarous Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Can someone confirm to me that you can play files of a external HDD as well? I want to get the machine set up wireless but to buy the card and the machine at the same time would make it go over £200 and a bit hard to justify to the other half.
  8. doogie

doogie Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Yes, a Popcorn A110 can play files off a usb hard drive connected to it, which I assume is what you're asking :)
  9. oliphillips

oliphillips Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Haven't read through the thread, but here's my opinion.

It depends on you!

The Xtreamer is (nearly) capable of doing everything the PCH can do and more. It is open source, a community of developers is building up and it is only 99 Euros! It is BRAND NEW ON THE MARKET though, so therefore quite buggy and not as solid as it's competitors, YET.

PCH is a solid player, does what it says on the tin, but much more expensive.

I own an Xtreamer, I love it, have no problems playing anything I want to play. 1080p mkv and m2ts over LAN no problems. BUT now and again some bugs occur. For me though this is fine, I actually enjoy it like this in it's early stages. I am now one of the beta testers over at xtreamer.net and enjoy everything about helping with the project, pointing out bugs, features, discussing future plans etc.

So it comes down to whether you want a solid player with no issues, does what it says on the tin but no more than that. Or the new kid on the block that does Everything, but is new so a few issues, but has a lot more potential, and cheaper!
  10. jackyK

jackyK Member

Ratings:
    +9

Have a look at this

Popcorn Hour A-110 HD Networked Media Tank - £161.10 delivered @ Advanced MP3 Players - HotUKDeals Forum

Actually the price has even decreased since this deal was posted on Hot UK Deals... Make sure you use the discount code "jolly" at checkout - it will decrease the price from £175.0 to £157.50. If on top of this you use Topcashback or Quidco, you should receive 4% cash back, bringing the price down further to £151.20.

I bought my Popcorn Hour from these guys and I was very impressed with the delivery. I placed the order Monday lunch time and it had arrived by Fedex first thing Tuesday morning...
  11. jackyK

jackyK Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Well the only serious negative for me so far with the PCH is that since I got it, I really spend far too much time in front of the TV. As per Fe_man2000's suggestion, I installed YAMJ this weekend and it's so, so so cool. YAMJ's database automatically updates every time I complete a Usenet download (SabNZBD+ post processing option) - it's just too cool for school.

No to be completely honest, until now, if there were two small criticisms I would make on the PCH, they would be as follows:
    - I use a 1TB internal hard disk on the PCH and when there is no music / sound on the film, a very slight scratching hard drive sound is sometimes "audible" (not noisy - just audible) once every 20 seconds or so. I dont have this issue when I stream from the PC (hard drive is not used and the PCH is totally quiet) and I dont know if there is anything I can do about this - I suspect since it's the hard drive's fault, there isn't much to do about this. Still, the noise is likely to be a lot worse on the Xtreamer which has a fan..
    - The Samba network connection I use to access the PCH's internal hard drive from my PC (Windows XP) works perfectly but is fairly slow compared to FTP. I probably need to find a way to install an NFS client on XP but did not yet figure how to do this... Again, the PCH still fares better than the Xtreamer in that respect since I understand the latter does not yet offer a working network connection enabling the PC to access the Xtreamer's internal drive

Anyway these are just my personal issues - I'm sure other people may have other issues with the PCH. For example, I don't use the PCH for photos and music and there may be some issues with this on the PCH - I understand that for photos in particular, the Xtreamer is likely to be faster.