1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenoblade Chronicles

Discussion in 'Wii & Wii-U' started by Chanser, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Chanser

Chanser Member

Ratings:
    +209
    Just got my CE copy today, keep hearing great reviews about this game. Plus this is not out in USA yet.:p
  2. Haly

Haly Member

Ratings:
    +120
    Only played an hour of it (spent most of the day trying to find a copy at a half decent price!) but really liking what I've seen so far. :)
    Not played much on my Wii in a while so good to have something new and exciting to play :D
  3. Chanser

Chanser Member

Ratings:
    +209
    We're all alone, just you and me.:rolleyes:
  4. AfxTwn

AfxTwn Member

Ratings:
    +101
    Turn those frowns upside down friends as I too have the game! I played a couple hours of it last night with a friend (taking turns) and so far it's not too bad. We foolishly kept skipping the cut-scenes as we couldn't be bothered sitting there for 10 minutes each time being bored to death by a mediocre story. As you can tell I'm not a big fan of cut-scenes in most games but especially JRPG's as they're so ridiculously long-winded, poorly voice-acted and if you were watching the same story but in a film at the cinema you'd probably want your money back.

Anyway because we skipped them we didn't have a clue what was going on in the story but it was quite funny making our own alternative story up anyway. The game itself is pretty good but I think all the reviews I've read saying the graphics are amazing are completely exaggerated. They're probably comparable to PS1 maybe PS2 at best but that's ok as I don't own a Wii for the amazing graphics (I'll wait for the Wii U to deliver those).

What is a little annoying is not being able to find your side-quests easily. The main arrow only points toward your main quest and so you spend too much time running round like a headless chicken trying to find places/monsters. I think it's high time that RPG games started doing what Oblivion did and introduce horses or some other mode of transport to get you from A to B quickly. That is my biggest gripe with most RPG games is the constant running round for hours on end finding things.

This game has an estimated completion time of around 60 hours and I bet 40 of those are from just traveling lol.
    Anyway, I'm sure when I get into the game a bit more I'll probably forget about it's little niggles and start to enjoy but from first-impressions I'd give this game 7/10.
  5. Haly

Haly Member

Ratings:
    +120
    Don't forget that there's a fast travel system for areas you've already been to :)

I know what you mean about the graphics although I'm stuck with just the cables that came with the console. Tempted to pick up the component cable and see if that makes a difference! Not a huge problem though once you get used to it.

Liking the battle system so far. Wasn't sure about it when reading reviews as I like turn based combat but this works well.
  6. AfxTwn

AfxTwn Member

Ratings:
    +101
    Yeah I know about the fast travel but as you said, it relies on places you've already been to. So a lot of the beginning part of the game requires wandering round and round finding places to be able to fast travel to. Even then because there is no waymarking system aside from the main quest arrow, you still can end up wandering round trying to find where a subquest is.

As for the component cable, it does make a difference but don't be expecting a huge difference. Mind you, you can pick one up relatively cheap now so it might be worth upgrading.

I like the battle system too, it's very easy using the classic controller pro. I wish CC Pro had rubberised thumbsticks though as my thumbs are constantly sliding off the edge of them.
  7. thesilverfox

thesilverfox Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,592
    Also have this.

However, massive dilemma. Professional exam on 3rd September. Busy work schedule. Also considering getting back into Lost Odyssey on my 360. Can't have it all, eh?

Still - looks dead good from the gameplay videos that I have perused thus far :) I guess there could be a play and help thread sooner or later too? Arguably the biggest Wii release in a long time I reckon.
  8. thesilverfox

thesilverfox Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,592
    I snuck in a bit of play time last night (about one hour). First impressions are generally quite good!

The battle system looks like it could be something quite special; from what I can garner too, HP is restored at the end of battles gradually, which I like. The arts system seems like it could be as complex or simple as you want and learning it well will probably be the key to toppling (pun intended!) the bigger foes with lower levels.

Weapon/armour slots reminds me of Final Fantasy VII (the materia slots etc), but hard to say at the moment. The armour system seems good - lots of different parts to upgrade.

Voice acting is hammy, but I've definitely heard much, much worse. I can't find out the cast just yet, but one or two voices sound a bit familiar, though could be foreigners pretending to be English.

Graphics are, well, okay. Not amazing, but then I concede that it's on the Wii. Looks okay in battles and the environments look decent enough, but characters up close are a bit PSOne for my liking, but perhaps I expect too much.

Couple of other interesting concepts too, particularly the system that encourages you to talk to people more and connect them in a sort of network. I presume at this point there are rewards for getting certain people to connect and so on. Clever.

Only an hour in, so obviously still wet behind the ears, but seems fun so far. Different enough to stand out at this point, given the number of average RPG games out there.
  9. Pinky Floyd

Pinky Floyd Member

Ratings:
    +249
    It's brilliant. Evokes classic RPG's of my early days. It's so much better than the myriad of mediocre RPG's that have come through this generation. It reminds me of when Final Fantasy was good.

The graphics are brilliant, technical limitations aside. Yep, they are jaggy and lower res but the style is superb and the vistas are stunning. They match the game perfectly and take nothing away from it at all. In fact, I would argue that they add loads of charm to an already full and brimming over hat already full of charm!

There is depth to the combat system, love the collectopedia and character interaction. The story is cracking.
  10. AfxTwn

AfxTwn Member

Ratings:
    +101
    I had to laugh when I read this. No disrespect intended Pinky but have you ever read a good book or watched a decent film?

I always think the stories to these types of games are terrible, cliched and made even worse by the voice acting which seems to have been given next to no direction and the actors feel the need to over-emphasize everything. In fact, in this game in particular, why have they given nearly every character mockney accents? Do the Japanese assume everyone in the UK talks like that?

Apart from that, it is quite a good game now that I've spent some time with it.

P.S. Don't mean to come across as having a go at you Pinky, it's all meant in good fun!
  11. thesilverfox

thesilverfox Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,592
    Yeah, JRPG stories are generally as hammy as their voice-overs in my opinion, but I still enjoy them nonetheless!

About 3 hours in, at the Tephra Cave (ruins within, forget their name). Having a party of three makes life a lot easier, but, while I totally understand the battle system and the idea of the arts, it's still a bit mish-mash for me at the moment.

I can see what they're doing, and I can see it working, but I think the battle speed is a bit too fast on default settings perhaps? Might just be me getting used to it, but even FFXIII system of one character control was okay for me. I suppose it will take some more time, and practice, as I find it hard to use directional arts, i.e., from behind/side etc, as the enemies shift about a bit - something to do with aggro?

Around level 9 now, having spent a lot of time wandering around and picking things up and not doing too much questing. My current impressions are "wow, this playing area is massive!" and "why are there no loading times?" - very impressive area sizes, given that it's on the Wii - makes some other games look positively archaic even on the Wii.

Perhaps we need a play and help thread for this? I suspect I will be chipping in with queries a lot, haha!
  12. Bossk128

Bossk128 Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Looking forward to trying this out. I've not played a jRPG for ages, probably Golden Sun. Currently loving Zelda OoT which I've never played before.
  13. Chanser

Chanser Member

Ratings:
    +209
    Better than FF13 surely?
  14. thesilverfox

thesilverfox Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,592
    Well, I think 13 has a certain level of ... shall we say, animosity?

So far, I am getting to grips with the battling a bit better, but have to admit one thing is exceptionally predictable - quests from NPC's with the exclamation point above their heads.

If there's someone asking you to do-in a monster or two, they always instantly have about 2-3 other requests for you too ... !

Very much liking the day/night shifts, as well as fast travel. Still very impressed at the overall scale of things.

One last gripe thus far, was that although it was fairly predictable that a certain character was going to be a party member, a salesman gave a massive spoiler by selling an item that described it as allowing "x character" to learn new types of move etc, before I had that character join my party.

Silly!
  15. liltman

liltman Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Oh my god guys!
    This game is something else!! Finally a decent RPG! (Well Action RPG).

Sorry this is going to be a long reply, this can not be avoided when I like a game so much I go on and on lol. You are not forced to read it though :)

I had to check if there was a thread for this, I can't stop playing it. I was on it for such a long time last night and for the whole time I was glued to the screen, had quite a lot of action bits last night mixed with a lot of story. Still not that far yet (I don't think anyways, or I am hoping for an rpg this feels short).

This game is ticking every little box for me, ok the graphics are not perfect but that doesn't bother me as graphics are secondary and they actually look decent for the Wii. It also has a few flaws though I hardly notice them, the more I play the more I am too amazed that I forget about them. The voice acting was a little bizarre at first but now it has grown on me and I have taken a liking to nearly every character (that is rare for me, I usually only like one or two).

Combat wise...JUST WOW!! at first your a little like "what the hell is going on?!" but once you get used to it, it's perfect. I am finding myself used to it and loving it, it feels like an old rpg mixed with action and mmo elements of todays standard. They have really given this game some thought and nailed it in my opinion. I have played a lot of rpgs and mmo's to notice where they have gotten a lot of their inspiration and ideas from, they have the best parts of most of these games and have made their own system which caters to the fans (at least for me).

This game is the best RPG I have played since the PS1 days! No kidding other than a few ps2 games nothing has come close to this, I love the overall feel and story and well just everything about it.

There is one thing I think they maybe should of did a bit later on rather than so soon but it sets the story up so I understand why it happened so early unfortunately I can not say what that is as it would be a big spoiler so get it and play it!!

Oh one more thing, don't give up, the first time you get 3 people in your party and go to that cave you think "oh yeh now this should be fun, now I should be unstoppable!" lol get that out your head, the first time you get 3 people I found it insanely hard but once I got past this enemy that kept killing me it then got much easier. Once you get a few levels and a few skills and get used to the combat the game becomes pretty easy but then certain enemies will come along and be a little challenge if not a big challenge (I love that in rpgs when it's the perfect difficulty then something comes along to make sure you are awake and not just mashing buttons lol).

Overall, much better than any rpg this generation, it should not be compared to Final Fantasy XIII due to how Amazing this game is but what the hell I will due to how much hype FFXIII got. This game is 10 times better in my opinion, the difference the Final Fantasy name is already well known and people usually instantly buy that. Don't delay buy this today if you love rpgs or mmo's!

One last thing! I am skeptical about Final Fantasy XIII-2 and was rather annoyed at the overall idea but if the combat in that becomes anything like in Xenoblade Chronicles then it would be a huge improvement and I have a sneaky feeling it has gone in more of this direction, at least in terms of combos and button presses.
  16. KeithyT

KeithyT Member

Ratings:
    +13
    With my Wii interest piqued due to the imminent release of Skyward Sword I have also been reading the positive reviews about this game.

I've never played a JRPG that I can recall. Despite owning a Master System, then N64, then Gamecube, now a Wii I've somehow stuck to more tradtional platform/action games with RPG elements (Wonderboy III on the master system, Zelda: OOT on the 64, Wind Waker on the Cube and TP on the Wii).

Things like Secret Of Mana, Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy have always intrigued me though and I was wondering if Xenoblade Chronicles is suited to a complete newbie to the genre. I must admit I am tempted...
  17. Chanser

Chanser Member

Ratings:
    +209
    Totally suitable for new players.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Mellow

Mellow Member

Ratings:
    +0
    By 'everyone', you mean 'one character', right?
  19. Kube

Kube Member

Ratings:
    +372
    My god, this game is simply stunning. Only 12 hours in but loving it and the design of the world is something else.
  20. liltman

liltman Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Exactly how I felt! could not put the game down when I first got it. Have finished it now but constantly want to replay it and go back to it, especially when I talk about it!

The games massive too! and the world is massive and I still find it hard to believe that it's a wii title lol. I have another game on pre order which should be another awesome wii rpg. It's called The Last Story, if you haven't seen it, check it out!

Doubt it is going to be as good as Xenoblade, one of my favourite games now and definitely my best rpg this gen.
  21. dan25730

dan25730 Active Member

Ratings:
    +185
    I have this sitting in the cupboard waiting to be played. Now if only I can stop playing Dark Souls ill get on it.

How is it best played? Classic controller or wii controller?
  22. Kube

Kube Member

Ratings:
    +372
    Can only be played with the classic I think. In many ways it reminds me of FFXII but way more style and substance.

I've also got The Last Story preordered :) Also check out Pandoras Tower liltman.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  23. Kube

Kube Member

Ratings:
    +372
    Now racked up 89 hours in total. Best game of the last few years for me.

EDIT: finally completed it this evening, 109 hours in total. Amazing game and worh the price of a Wii alone.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012