1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox360 interfering with AV sender

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Forum' started by pjones_po, Dec 3, 2006.

1. pjones_po

pjones_po Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, this is my first post here so apologies if I put this in the wrong area. I tried the Search function but it doesnt seem to be working.

My current home setup at the mo is a Sony Bravia HD LCD TV, a standard Sky+ box, DVD player/recorder and the XBox 360.

I recently bought a wireless 2.4Ghz AV sender so that while I am playing the 360 in HD the wife can watch the Sky+ upstairs. I simply used a Scart splitter and set this up without any problems.

I can get a lovely picture on the TV upstairs but there are several horizontal lines across the screen accompanied with a clicking sound. Long story short but its the Xbox power supply causing the problems. If I disconnect the Xbox power supply from the mains or unplug it from the back of the Xbox the interference disappears.

Its not picking up this interference from the scart leads as I disconnected the Scart lead on the transmitter behind the TV downstairs and the TV upstairs was still recieving the interference.

I am 100% certain the interference is caused by the Xbox power supply but I cant get rid of it. I have tried moving the power supply as far away from the rest of the stuff as I can, no change, I have tried plugging the Av sender into a different power socket across the room, no change. I have even purchased a single surge protected plug and put both the Av sender(no change) and the Xbox PSU on it but to no avail.

I know of other people on other unrelated forums with this problem but noone seems to have found a cure yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated to save my Xbox being thrown through the window by my irate missus!

Thanks

Paul.
  2. sammy4499771

sammy4499771 Member

Ratings:
    +99
    On some of the a/v senders you can change the channel of the radio frequency that the source is sent on. I know on mine you can send it on an option of 4.
  3. pjones_po

pjones_po Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Sammy, I forgot to mention this, I have tried it on all 4 channels but the interference remains unchanged :(
  4. DD3

DD3 Member

Ratings:
    +43
    have you got a long extension lead? If so try plugging the xbox into a socket from upstairs and see if that chages things. If not Id say its most likely the xbox wireless (which is working whenever the power unit it on - even if xbox is 'off') if it is and you have tried the other optional channels on your AV sender then you are out of luck.

you could always run a co-ax cable from the sky+ box to your other TV and use the 2nd RF out to feed a picture. a digisender could then be used to send the IR commands to the sky+ box.
  5. pjones_po

pjones_po Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate, i hadnt thought of that, I'll be pretty p*ssed off if that is the case as I cant really run RF cables for several reasons.

Hey ho, back to the drawing board!
  6. Jordans Norks

Jordans Norks New Member

Ratings:
    +63
    It's the power supply (the problem exists even if the PSU is not plugged into the 360).

Only solution...turn the PSU off when not in use I'm afraid

7. leamspaceman

leamspaceman Active Member

Ratings:
    +816
    Had the exact same problem as you mate...and the only solution is turn the 360 off at the mains if you want to watch TV via your video sender. Nothing else you can do.
  8. pjones_po

pjones_po Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ar*e :(

The whole point of buying the sender was so I could play the 360 in HD while she could still watch Sky upstairs.

Cheers for all the replies peeps.
  9. DragonOfSilver

DragonOfSilver Member

Ratings:
    +73
    problem is I think a lot of video senders just use up a whole big chunk of bandwith in the 2.4ghz range don't rhey? and probably don't have much checking on the signal.
  10. Markie Boy

Markie Boy Member

Ratings:
    +156
    I have a similar setup and found with the XBox, cordless phones and a microwave all adding to the interference, I went for one of the new 5.6GHz senders, and while its not 100% perfect, its stable enough and produces good pic and sound.
  11. Monkeyboylee

Monkeyboylee Member

Ratings:
    +18
    After reading about everyones problems with the 2.4ghz ones I got a 5.8ghz one from RFLink USA for €149 + delivery and I get no interference from my 360, wireless network, microwave or phones. Its excellent and so glad I got it instead.

They do a specific one for Europe - Pal and 230v/240v (I think).
  12. sarll

sarll Member

Ratings:
    +53
    I have a slightly older digisender (not sure of the model number but its about 3 years old).

Anyway i had a similar problem, whenever i was playing 360 downstairs the tv in the bedroom was unwatchable. I found the problem seemed to be the wireless controllers. Bit of a pain, but if i plug in my charge kit (cable from controller to front USB no 360) it seems to disable wireless on the controller and the picture upstairs is fine again. Don't know if you've tried this.........
  13. pjones_po

pjones_po Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried this and it doesnt work :(
  14. internetuser

internetuser Active Member

Ratings:
    +211
    I found the only real solution for a good pic is to unplug the 360 from the wall, or the power block.

But if you turn off ALL wirleess in the house, and just have the 360 on and the av sender, and try changing its channels you may find a decent enough picture. As I found my wireless network caused interference too

I did, and some times its alright, other times its pant.s
  15. The_Wierd

The_Wierd Member

Ratings:
    +90
    I had this problem with a Philips sender, I spent ages repositioning everything and changing channels and eventually found a 'sweet-spot' where the signal is clear. You could try this - in particular get the transmitter as far away from the xbox as you can, also try moving the receiver around a bit and make sure there are as few obstructions as possible between receiver and transmitter. I even managed to get the Wi-fi to work as well, so it can be done.

I have no idea why it's so bad with the 360 though - my Gamecube Wavebird controller causes no problems at all, but the 360 wireless spams all over the 2.4GHz band. Unfortunately I think it is just bad design, probably because the 5.6GHz gear is more common in the US (I think it might not technically be legal in the UK).
  16. DragonOfSilver

DragonOfSilver Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Odd.. considering the cable only charges the pad, the pad still functions wirelessly as far as everyones aware, but if it does the job for whatever reason
  17. dupfold

dupfold Member

Ratings:
    +3
    sick! This has been driving me crazy for months but I thought it was just my video sender on the blink. Brought a new one and same thing so I started to think it was my new neighbours with a wireless network or something :)

Today I decided to sort it out and after hours of trials I too found the prob to be the 360 (this of course after I found this post, doh!).

I think I'm going to have to get the 5.6GHz senders, any in particular I should go for and where I can get them from (checked ebay.co.uk and ebay.com but none there)?
  18. OmniFox

OmniFox Member

Ratings:
    +12
    i called microsoft about this same issue (with different items) Basically, i was getting a low buzz on my wireless telephone whenever my 360 was on. IT got so bad that i actually broke one of my handsets thinking it was craping out.

It is in fact the wireless sending out signals (not the PSU, it appears to be because turning the PSU on = wireless turning on, and turning the PSU off = turning wireless off).

Basically anything wireless is going to get some interference, so he simply tole me to get the two as far away as possible. I did, and to date, no more annoying buzzing :smashin:

This will kind of fix the problem, but not really. Microsoft wireless uses multiple frequencies to insure maximum performance. It has a scanner inside changing frequencies to use the best one fir for the environment, so the guy at Microsoft said that changing the frequency would not solve it
  19. dupfold

dupfold Member

Ratings:
    +3
    ok but Monkeyboylee (along with others) reported it fixed the problem so I think its worth a try otherwise I will have to redesign my whole network which I don't fancy.
  20. OmniFox

OmniFox Member

Ratings:
    +12
    i hope it fixes the problem, but i didn't even bother, i just moved my phone away from the 360 (1 whole floor) and it fixed it. So if that fixes the problem, i may just have to get me a higher frequency phone so i can use it in my family room again
  21. dupfold

dupfold Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I wish I could move my 360 away and I have tried separating the video sender and 360 as far from each other as the leads permit but the problem remains :(